You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Roban 500 Size MD-500D Magnum PI Scale Helicopter Conversion Kit Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Roban 500 Size MD-500D Magnum PI Scale Helicopter Conversion Kit Thread

MD-500D Magnum PI Version 500 Size Helicopter Scale Conversion Kit from Roban - RBN-KF-H500DMG5

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture45.JPG
Views:	2006
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	345726

This is the 500 class conversion kit of the MD-500D helicopter, a light utility civilian and military helicopter developed in the 1970's and still going strong today. This paint scheme is based on the Magnum PI version displayed prominently in the popular 1980's TV series. Designed to take your Chaos 500 or Trex torque tube versions and transform it into a very scale RC version of the full scale helicopter.

There is no extra parts to purchase to get this beautiful scale fuselage in the air. When you open the box, the fuselage is completely painted in standard automotive base coat and clear coat for a super gloss finish. Included are fiberglass landing gear and aluminum skids, a magnetic cabin lock system for quick access, transparent front window, and side windows that open for heat dissipation. Also includes tail fin parts, mounting accessories and landing gear.

This fuselage can be completed in as little as 4-6 hrs and is intended for the intermediate to advanced builder. No modifications needed when using stock mechanics and stock rotor head.

Features:
    • Fully painted fiberglass scale fuselage
    • Fiberglass landing gear and magnetic cabin lock system for quick and easy access
    • Extremely detailed surface and molded panel lines
    • Use of 500 standard equipment (6S Battery, 1400-1600Kv motor), fly with your existing parts
    Includes:
    • Roban MD-500D Magnum PI Version 500 body kit
    • Scale fiberglass landing gear
    Requires:Optional:Important Information - Please Read
    Roban Scale Helicopters are intended for modelers who have advanced level building skills. Both ARF and KIT product formats require you to install your own electronics (ESC, servos, motor, etc). KIT product formats also require you to install your own helicopter mechanics. Because helicopter mechanics can vary greatly in size and shape, you may be required to modify the fuselage slightly (including cutting, drilling, etc.) to achieve a perfect fit. Roban fuselages are all handmade from fiberglass and therefore may have slight variation in tolerances between body panels, doors, or windows. These variations do not affect flight performance and can be easily adjusted by an experienced builder with proper tools. These precautions are intended for novice builders; an experienced modeler should have no issue achieving perfect results with these premiere scale helicopters kits.

Product Specifications:

AGE LEVEL: 18 and up
    SKILL LEVEL: Advanced
    BUILD TIME: 4+ hours

Class / Size 500
    Power Type Electric
    Rotor Type Collective Pitch
    Body Material Fiberglass
    Overall Size (L x W x H) 780 x 175 x 308mm
    Flying Weight 613g
    Main Rotor Diameter N/A
    Main Rotor Blade Length N/A
    Tail Rotor Diameter N/A
    Tail Rotor Blade Length N/A
    Tail Drive Type Torque Tube
    Cyclic Servos 3x Metal Gear
    Tail Servo 1x Metal Gear
    Power System 3226-1400Kv Brushless Motor
    Electronic Speed Control 100A ESC
    Recommended Battery 6 Cell 22.2V 2600 - 3300 mAh LiPo Battery with XT60 Connector
    Battery Compartment Size (L x W x H) N/A
    Required Radio 7 Channel
    Skill Level Advanced
    Build Time 1+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Can I install a belt drive trex 500x dominator or must it be TT drive?

Comment

I’m pretty sure any 500X won’t fit these Robans. They are designed for the old Align ESP series for both the 500 and 600 sizes. That’s not to say it couldn’t be done but just won’t be a drop in fit.

Comment

I have installed my belt drive old align cf 500 model. Just push the boom out and install. then pull forward then back to lock into the tray. I also had to remove my canopy holders and swing my tail servo down to a lower area.

Comment

I've just ordered this fuselage but not sure what mechanics to put into it. Im really considering the sab goblin 420 raw with its fancy direct drive motor, but im looking for recommendations. I do at some point want to put a 5 blade RH on it, just something to keep in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteylightning View Post
            I've just ordered this fuselage but not sure what mechanics to put into it. Im really considering the sab goblin 420 raw with its fancy direct drive motor, but im looking for recommendations. I do at some point want to put a 5 blade RH on it, just something to keep in mind.
            I still recommend the old Trex 500ESP if you can find one for sale, or the Chaos 500 clone. That’s what these fuselages were designed for, and they fit nicely, and have a higher tail ratio then most modern models.

While I do find the new Goblin 420 Raw interesting, the direct drive motor is problematic. If you want to scale heli headspeeds (I usually run around 1700RPM on a 500) you would need to run it on 4S instead of 6S. Might be possible, but it’s not ideal. I prefer to swap the motor KV for something in that range, which isn’t an option with the Goblin. Scale heads generally aren’t designed for the high headspeeds that the 3D community runs.There’s also a few other potential issues. The 420 (like most modern 3D helis) was a low set rotor head. This will likely required an extended main shaft to avoid interference with the cowling. The boom is also a bit tall, and may not fit though the small tail opening on the fuselage.

Comment

Thanks Delta, My first thought about buying a model no longer produced was....until i spotted a clone of the esp on ebay. If anyone knows of a source for 5 blade rotor heads and scale rotor blades in the 500 size, in stock, out of stock, im not concerned, im in no rush on this project, im just gathering sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteylightning View Post
                Thanks Delta, My first thought about buying a model no longer produced was....until i spotted a clone of the esp on ebay. If anyone knows of a source for 5 blade rotor heads and scale rotor blades in the 500 size, in stock, out of stock, im not concerned, im in no rush on this project, im just gathering sources.
                No worries. The rotorhead can be found here: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=PY0zH2DxT362

Scale blades are more difficult to find. The closest I can currently find available is these, which are a bit of a pain since they are sold in sets of 4. The tip isn't exactly scale, but they have a much more scale chord length than typical 3D blades: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=OWtwWDgSxNgd

Comment

Hi all,
                  I have a Trex 470LT which in length is quite close to an old 500.
                  Would it fit this fuselage or any other MD500D/E one?
                  Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X