X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic on FMS FW 190 ESC

I stumbled across a youtube video of someone doing a review on the FMS FW 190, during which he noted that the plastic heat shrink type of wrap that is on the ESC is a poor idea and should be removed so that it can shed heat better. Make sense in theory, but do the ESC's get hot enough where this is recommended/has anyone actually done this.

RE: Plastic on FMS FW 190 ESC

Yes the ESC does get some heat in it . Mostly depends on how you fly too . If you put it in the air and run full throttle and make it work hard pulling it up and making it strain . Most planes have air flow built into them and others it good to make sure you add some .
    Air needs to cross the battery and esc if possible . If you get air coming in it you need to make sure it has a exit . You'll notice some have air exit holes underneath towards the back .
    I have added some where there were none to add insurance on cooling . I believe the plane your flying has a fan built in behind the prop . It does work just make sure it goes out for good flow thru .

Bryan 
    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Bryan,

It does have the fans behind the blade and two outlet holes in the rear, at this point being new I'm flying it pretty slow and easy. Next time it comes down I'll see how hot it is. But there should be plenty of air moving through there.

Comment

As long as air is flowing you shouldn't have anything to worry about .
        You may feel a little warmth but its not enough to worry . You'll probably notice your battery warmer than the esc and that's ok as long as its not too hot to hold .
        If it ever gets that hot you can tell right off when you open the hatch . May see smoke or smell the plastics . Most of these problems occur after a hard crash or when people do mods that don't match well .
        When you have a good crash be sure to look at all your electronics battery , servos ,esc .

Bryan
        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie 64
          Yes the ESC does get some heat in it . Mostly depends on how you fly too . If you put it in the air and run full throttle and make it work hard pulling it up and making it strain . Most planes have air flow built into them and others it good to make sure you add some .
          Air needs to cross the battery and esc if possible . If you get air coming in it you need to make sure it has a exit . You'll notice some have air exit holes underneath towards the back .
          I have added some where there were none to add insurance on cooling . I believe the plane your flying has a fan built in behind the prop . It does work just make sure it goes out for good flow thru .

Bryan 
          Flying at full throttle heats the ESC the least; most heat is generated in the ESC between 40% and 70% power output, because of the high rate of switching.
          Heat shrink doesn't block enough heat to worry about; as others have said, as long as you have good air flow around the ESC, it should be OK.

Comment

Some planes do not get enough air flow (esp. water planes). I buy Radio Shack heat sinks. I place the heat sink on the ESC aluminum heat sink. using it for a template, I cut away a square of the shrink wrap. Then, using heat transfering gel, again Radio Shack, I place the heat sink onto the ESC. I then place a bead of silicone caulk around it to hold it in place. This really helps to cool your ESC. You may also mount your ESC on edge, if possible, so that both sides are exposed to air flow. The Doctor

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike
                Some planes do not get enough air flow (esp. water planes). I buy Radio Shack heat sinks. I place the heat sink on the ESC aluminum heat sink. using it for a template, I cut away a square of the shrink wrap. Then, using heat transfering gel, again Radio Shack, I place the heat sink onto the ESC. I then place a bead of silicone caulk around it to hold it in place. This really helps to cool your ESC. You may also mount your ESC on edge, if possible, so that both sides are exposed to air flow. The Doctor
                Excellent idea! I had toyed with the idea of making some kind of heat sink for my Tidewater, since the ESC in it does get warm, but if Radio Shack already has some, well guess where I am heading tomorrow!! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier
                  Excellent idea! I had toyed with the idea of making some kind of heat sink for my Tidewater, since the ESC in it does get warm, but if Radio Shack already has some, well guess where I am heading tomorrow!! Thanks!
                  Just so you know, an ESC can easily be too hot to hold, and still be fine; we're talking over 140F, up to about 155F.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier   I did this with my Tidewater, however the ESC must be turned around by removing the Velcro and placing it on the other side. This puts the ESC heat sink towards the inside so the Radio Shack heat sink may be added. I also place a small folded piece of wet paper towel between two of the heat sink fins when I\'m flying. Good luck!!! The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                    X