X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INTERMITTENT PROBLEM WITH 3648-770KV MOTOR

I have a FMS P-39, Have not flown it. After I built it I found that the prop without power to the motor felt like it had tight bearings I called MRC I spoke with one of the guys who said run a battery through it on the ground and it should loosen up.

Did that. What is happening now if i run it for awhile and then with power off turn the prop it is very stiff ( tight bearings) put after it could down spins by hand o.k.
    I removed the motor from the plane, turning the can by hand if feels fine I feel nothing in the bearings and the can turns as it should be run it gain and it gets tight....
    ANY body have any idea's???

)
    Last edited by bobtheman; Apr 16, 2018, 10:36 AM. Reason: NEW INFORMATION!!

It's because when you remove it the wires are disconnected, the motor will act as a generator when turning it by hand when it's all hooked up..
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

There's a problem with the ESC. It might be cured by hooking it to the programming card and resetting it (if you have the card) It also might be a bad ESC.

Contact where you got the model from.

You SHOULD feel some resistance due to the motor acting as a generator, but it should still let you spin the prop.

I have had a battery fall out of a model in flight (pushed for a tight outside loop and the sticky back velcro let loose of the EPO foam) and the prop windmilling kept the RX operating for a safe landing. That should give you an idea of how much electrically induced resistance the prop would have if the ESC is working correctly. Not much until it gets up a pretty good RPM. (proportional to RPM squared)

I ought to rig the plane for a repeat to get it on video, but I need a parachute for the battery. Dropping a 4S 3300 from about 100 ft is not good for it.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Ok. Pilots this is insane....I run the plane in my shop for two minutes.. disconnect the battery turning the prop very stiff I plug in the battery ( I DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR) and the prop is spins free with your finger I disconnect the battery prop stiff plug battery in again spins free disconnect power and it is stiff did this 4 times in row always the same results however after power off for about five minutes the prop spins freely with a finger....It blows my mind

Comment

Originally posted by bobtheman View Post
          Ok. Pilots this is insane....I run the plane in my shop for two minutes.. disconnect the battery turning the prop very stiff I plug in the battery ( I DO NOT RUN THE MOTOR) and the prop is spins free with your finger I disconnect the battery prop stiff plug battery in again spins free disconnect power and it is stiff did this 4 times in row always the same results however after power off for about five minutes the prop spins freely with a finger....It blows my mind
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaCjJbEB078 I FOUND THE ANSWER!

Comment

Working...
          X