You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESC Programming to Increase Motor Efficiency (Power)?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESC Programming to Increase Motor Efficiency (Power)?

I have an EDF jet with a motor that is somewhat underpowered. The motor is a 2836 out runner Kv2950. The ESC is set to factory default and runs fine with the throttle range already set to the transmitter. I believe the prop is ok, but have not balanced it.
    The ESC manual states the modes for "angle of entrance" are "Automatic-- detects the most suitable angle of entrance in most cases", "Low--suitable for most inner rotor motors," and "High--suitable for most outer rotor and 6 poles or more".
    The "automatic" is the default.

The ESC manual then states that in order to increase efficiency, we recommend using high angle of entrance in outer rotor motors with 6 or more poles. I believe this describes my motor.

1. Is the "Angle of Entrance" the same as "Timing"?
    2. Will programming for "High" angle of entrance increase my power? Is there danger to my motor with this?
    3. Are there any other ESC programming modes that I can change to increase power?

Thanks,
    Bill

RE: ESC Programming to Increase Motor Efficiency (Power)?

Originally posted by Bill
    I have an EDF jet with a motor that is somewhat underpowered. The motor is a 2836 out runner Kv2950. The ESC is set to factory default and runs fine with the throttle range already set to the transmitter. I believe the prop is ok, but have not balanced it.
    The ESC manual states the modes for "angle of entrance" are "Automatic-- detects the most suitable angle of entrance in most cases", "Low--suitable for most inner rotor motors," and "High--suitable for most outer rotor and 6 poles or more".

The ESC manual then states that in order to increase efficiency, we recommend using high angle of entrance in outer rotor motors with 6 or more poles. I believe this describes my motor.

2. Will programming for "High" angle of entrance increase my power? Is there danger to my motor with this?
    3. Are there any other ESC programming modes that I can change to increase power?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Advancing the timing (angle of entrance) may give a bit more power, at the expense of higher temperatures in the motor and ESC, so you need to check your temperatures, before they have a chance to cool. A motor will usually increase in temperature when it stops running, but you can assume that is the highest temperature it will reach. If you can fit a temperature probe, that would be great, but most use one of those IR devices, which aren't real accurate, unless they have an adjustable emissivity setting for different materials. In any case, you don't want your motor to go above about 140F. The ESC can easily handle 155F, but, depending on where it is, it could start cooling as soon as the motor is shut off. If it is in the air stream, all the better.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol

Thanks,
      Bill
      Advancing the timing (angle of entrance) may give a bit more power, at the expense of higher temperatures in the motor and ESC, so you need to check your temperatures, before they have a chance to cool. A motor will usually increase in temperature when it stops running, but you can assume that is the highest temperature it will reach. If you can fit a temperature probe, that would be great, but most use one of those IR devices, which aren't real accurate, unless they have an adjustable emissivity setting for different materials. In any case, you don't want your motor to go above about 140F. The ESC can easily handle 155F, but, depending on where it is, it could start cooling as soon as the motor is shut off. If it is in the air stream, all the better.
      Thanks, WintrSol.
      I programmed for "High" and will see how she flies.

Comment

Thanks, WintrSol.
        One other thing that can happen: if timing is too far advanced for the motor, increasing throttle, especially quickly, can cause the ESC to lose sync. When that happens, you may hear the motor screeching, or just lose power. Something to watch for, anyway.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... I actually had that screech happen once and never figured out what happened. Glad I saw this....
          Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
            Hmmmmm.... I actually had that screech happen once and never figured out what happened. Glad I saw this....
            Flygirl, there are a few things that can cause a motor to screech; if the last thing you changed was timing, that is, of course, the likely suspect. Other things may be a spun bearing, dry bearing, or a loose magnet. I use bearing oil on all my motors, just to keep bearings off the list as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
              Flygirl, there are a few things that can cause a motor to screech; if the last thing you changed was timing, that is, of course, the likely suspect. Other things may be a spun bearing, dry bearing, or a loose magnet. I use bearing oil on all my motors, just to keep bearings off the list as long as possible.
              Thanks Wintr!
              Lauren

Comment

Thanks, WintrSol.
                One other thing that can happen: if timing is too far advanced for the motor, increasing throttle, especially quickly, can cause the ESC to lose sync. When that happens, you may hear the motor screeching, or just lose power. Something to watch for, anyway.
                Always wondered what that odd "screeching' sound was from, thanks!
                CT

Comment

Working...
                X