X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing motors

Seeing how easy it is to reverse motors is there a better or best direction for twin engines to rotate ? Top turning out or top turning in …….I am referring to counter rotating BTW

Bryan
    But Crashing is Landing

Usually top turning in but I usually do whatever the full scale plane had.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Yeah the fuselage is suppose to act as a fence for the opposing P factors. Usually on RC planes it doesn't matter. Having you motors in sinc is more important.
      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

I have Scorpion Motors for my B-25 and want to have them counter spin. The motors can easily be reversed but the shafts ∫other screw to the same direction. I called the distributor who was very helpful. He called Scorpion and they did not have motors with reverse threads. They ar not tooled to do this. Mine would have to be a special job which would cost about $800 dollar. The distributor suggested that I try using thread locker. Any thoughts on that ?

Comment

I use a bit of FoamTac on the last bit of thread that the nut will grab on all prop shafts of my counter rotating twins and multis. It’s not as aggressive as thread locker and can easily be removed when you need to replace the prop. If props are balanced well, there is no need to have a backwards thread on the “non-standard” rotating motor.
          Chrysler did that on their lugs on the right side of their cars at one time, many, many years ago. It was an unnecessary idea that got ditched. There are no mainstream cars today with such backwards threads on wheel studs today.

Comment

You want them turning toward fuselage. Some folks on EC1500 got them backwards and had horrible issues, especially if you lose one motor/collet-prop. It torque rolls in to the ground!

Comment

Take a look at the pictures and the manual for this plane:
              https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...escription-tab

Its props turn "away". It's this way on the real plane. Every other multi I have, the props turn "in".

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                Take a look at the pictures and the manual for this plane:
                https://www.motionrc.com/products/fl...escription-tab

Its props turn "away". It's this way on the real plane. Every other multi I have, the props turn "in".
                In case anyone is interested, the reason that the real P-38 props turn outwards at the top instead of inwards at the top like most twins with opposite rotation props is because the P-38 had some airflow turbulence and vibration issues when the props rotated inwards. They tested a P-38 with the props rotating out at the top and the problem was solved.

Comment

Working...
                X