X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESC Initialisation issues

I recently ordered a Dynam Primo SRTF and I successfully assembled it, but then I ran into the ESC initialisation problem. The control surfaces function correctly but the motor will not spin. I followed various instructions but I could not get it to work. It just goes "Beep-beep. Beep-beep", over and over. Side note: I accidentally plugged the charging components in the wrong order and the charger sort of exploded.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you turn your throttle trim on the front of the TX to as low as it will go and try again. Also make sure your throttle is not reversed in the servo reverse menu. Transmitter throttle trim always comes in the mid-position as this is a throw back to the days when RC plane engines had to idle. Electric motors do not need to idle and in some planes, if the trim is left in the mid position, the ESC thinks you've got throttle applied and will NOT initialize. If this doesn't work, then it may be a specific problem for the Dynam TX system. As for the charger exploding, perhaps it caused some damage to the battery and the ESC is not sensing adequate voltage.

Comment

Could also crank ATV/EPA for throttle channel to its limit (used to be +/-150% for Futaba , +/-120% for Spektrum... with the same absolute pulse widths for both at those settings) Remember to do both ends.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Calibrate the throttle:
        Turn on your radio, put the throttle all the way up, plug in your battery, wait to hear the speed controller beep twice (don't wait too long or you'll go into programming mode) put the throttle all the way down, unplug the battery, turn off your radio.
        Then see how it goes.

Comment

The ESC would not arm on my umx Radian while the other channels worked properly. When I changed the airplane type in my Tx, the ESC armed when I re-bound. In other words, I initially selected "sailplane" and ESC would not arm. When I changed it to "airplane", the ESC armed on the next binding.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
            The ESC would not arm on my umx Radian while the other channels worked properly. When I changed the airplane type in my Tx, the ESC armed when I re-bound. In other words, I initially selected "sailplane" and ESC would not arm. When I changed it to "airplane", the ESC armed on the next binding.
            Intresting. A definite heads up when I'm binding my new glider. If it ever gets here. Ok, just found out that sailplanes are engineless. So a glider with a motor is considered an airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by Pilotguy View Post
              Unless you are doing special competition or practicing for such events, you should ALWAYS set the airplane as "airplane or acro", NOT sailplane. Using "sailplane" setting puts the throttle on a switch, whereby it's either OFF or full ON. This is so judges at such events can easily see that you've shut down the throttle completely when you are competing in timed power on events. If you are using the throttle stick for throttle, it's easy to cheat and have just a tiny bit of throttle on. That would help the sailplane stay aloft longer and give an unfair advantage to the pilot. If it didn't arm when set to "sailplane", that just means your switch was in such a position that the ESC thought you had full throttle and we all know that ESCs will NOT arm when it sees any kind of throttle. Had you succeeded in arming it with the switch in the correct OFF position, you would have been confused as to why the throttle stick didn't work and then got one HECKUVA a rude awakening if you threw the switch not knowing what was about to happen and didn't have the throttle cut set as well.
              They should warn people about this as this is not the first time I've read where someone programs a new sailplane or glider and tells the TX it's a "sailplane". Then they can't understand why things don't work they way they think it should.
              PS. Not all sailplanes and gliders are "engineless".
              PPS. Setting the plane as "sailplane" also allows you to access functions like "camber, crow, reflex", etc, but these can be done using mixes in "airplane" mode.

Comment

Ah... so with "sailplane" selected, the ESC would have armed if I new what switch it was on & I had that switch in the "on" position. I love learning!

Comment

Well, you have to assign the throttle to a switch, usually that's "A", but if you don't assign a switch, the throttle could be at MAX by default (not a safe way to go).

Comment

"throttle could be at MAX by default (not a safe way to go)."

So even though my throttle thumb toggle is full down, that could in fact be the full throttle position? Is that what you are saying?

It would explain why the ESC would not arm.

I would need to go into the "Reverse" settings in the Tx and reverse the throttle?

Comment

It's possible but I'd have to see what all your settings are. "Sailplane" mode disables the normal throttle stick and until you assign a switch, I don't know what the pulse value is, so yes, it could be at MAX throttle. Reversing won't necessarily do anything because the stick isn't assigned. It's best to NOT use "sailplane" mode unless you really know what you're doing and why you're doing it.

Comment

Thanks for helping me understand. Now if I can just get those Pitts landings under better control... Bahahaha

Comment

Simplified:
                          Sailplane mode is for climb and glide... on a sailplane with spoilers, when you want the spoilers on the throttle stick. Very fine control of the spoilers and just switch on/off throttle.

That gives the fine adjustment on spoilers for competition spot landings. The competition rules demand you only run the motor for XX seconds, then kill it for the rest of the flight, so all or nothing throttle is appropriate.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                          X