X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could MRC do a help video on installing a UBEC to an ESC

If a video showing how to correctly install a separate BEC to both an opto ESC, (one that does not have an BEC built in), and a standard ESC, that would be very helpful to many of us. I have never used a separate BEC, but am wanting to build a larger Piper Cub ARF model with 4 standard size servos and not sure that the normal 5amp BEC included in the ESC would be sufficient. The Cub is a 71" wingspan, and will be running 4 standard metal geared digital servos. I want to make sure I won't have any issues once it is in the air. I will be using a full range 4 channel Spectrum receiver.

Thanks for the help!

RE: Could MRC do a help video on installing a UBEC to an ESC

Hi Loneflier
      Wow that would be a great idea to do but until then here is an explanation of how to do this. Their are three ways that you can do this.
    1. you can solder straight to your favorite battery connector. Just take the wire and wrap it around the main power wire and solder straight to that then solder the main wire to the connector. 
    2. you can also remove the heat shrink over the area that the power wires come out of the esc and solder directly to their. Then use black tape to cover over this area fpr protection.
    3. The last thing would be to splice in to the esc power wires, have a separation between them like a 1/4" or so keep them separated. Use black tape to cover the wires.

Now once you do this if you have an esc that has a BEC circuit on it you will need to do the following. You will need to take the connector that plugs into the throttle position and cut the middle wire out typically its red. You do not need this portion on the esc. If you do not then your esc and BEC are now ready to go. You will plug the esc into the throttle channel as usual and the BEC can be plugged into any free channel. If its a spectrum you can use the batt/bind channel or you can use any aux channel or Y-harness this to any channel. 
    If you still need help on this you can call any one of us here at MotioRC cs team member, and we will be glade to help you or anybody to set this up.
    Hope this helps Brad

Comment

RE: Could MRC do a help video on installing a UBEC to an ESC

Thanks for the help Bradl4648. That does make sense, and follows what I've read on this subject. Up until now, all my planes have had matched motors and ESCs, but I am wanting to branch out to some of the larger ARFs of balsa and ply, and I will need to be picking my own motors and ESCs, as well as learning to calculate power requirements for the integrated package including servo loads. Always something new to learn about this hobby!

Comment

Working...
      X