X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esc trouble

I crossed the aileron and throttle when plugging the leads in to the receiver, the flaps moved when I moved the throttle stick. When I switched them back the motor will not start up , did I burn something in the esc ,any advice will be appreciated, thanks

RE: Esc trouble

Nope nothing was burned up (failed) by cross plugging into the receiver.

Has the motor ever run? If not then I'd first look in the transmitter for the throttle channel at the end point adjustment and servo direction.

Help up help you.
    What are you working with, brand and model of equipment?

Comment

yes sir, i flew it Monday , this was Wednesday when i crossed them .anyway I'm using a dx 6, a mantis 65 amp esc, eflite apprentice safe rec., in a freewing f22 raptor. when i turn on my radio and plug in the battery the plane beeps. thrthstart up cycle like normal, but no motor when i move throttle, I've re bound it , still no motor. i tried to reset the throttle but iit won't give the double beep. i tried another esc and everything worked fine. thanks

Comment

Great that you can still fly.
        Are the beeps coming from the RX or from the ESC sending the tones through the motor windings?

I have to ask what brand is the replacement ESC? And why were the radio leads unplugged? Do you have a Mantis programing card?
        http://www.motionrc.com/ztw-led-esc-programming-card/

Comment

The esc I tested it with was the 30 amp stock that came in the plane. The beeps come from the motor, and the receiver was unplugged because I use it in different planes. No I don't have a programming card, I called motion rc before posting this and the guy there told me I had burnt something in the esc , just didn't sound right so I'm just looking for a better answer , thanks Konrad

Comment

Try turning your Tx on, put the throttle stick full up, then plug in your battery. let it beep, then pull the throttle stick down. This has worked for me when I had the same problem. Do this with the propeller off!!! Good luck, Doc

Comment

You may have burned something up. But not by plugging in the ESC into another channel on the RX.

I find that ESC cards are well worth the $10 to $20 investment. I hate counting beeps and trying to follow beep logic trees.

Was the last shut down of the ESC normal? Unplugging the battery while the motor is running will very likely damage most ESC. I'm looking for what was different between the last working setup and the failed setup.

Haven't figured out how the flaps moved when the throttle stick is moved if the issue was a crossed (mis-plugged) aileron and throttle stick. Starting with an aileron (now throttle) giving a center pulse when plugging in a battery often puts ESC into a programing mode.

Comment

I've tried that doctormike, multiple times but it doesn't work, thanks konrad, I'm pretty sure the flaps moved, anyway ill get on of those cards next time I place an order. When I turn tx on and push throttle up and plug in battery , it just beeps sllowly.i had ordered another 65 amp mantis esc and it came in today , plugged it in to my new 12 blade 3500kv motor and went flying,just got home , everything is good !!!! Thanks guys one bad esc won't stop this show!!!

Comment

Glad to hear you are able to go flying.

What many of us would like to learn is what was the true failure mode of the other ESC?

The only other time I've had an unplug failure was when a single very thin wire from the multi strand signal wire shorted to ground. This was with an FMS/ROC Hobbies ESC (ZTW is the OEM for these).

Comment

Originally posted by gnat
                    The esc I tested it with was the 30 amp stock that came in the plane. The beeps come from the motor, and the receiver was unplugged because I use it in different planes. No I don't have a programming card, I called motion rc before posting this and the guy there told me I had burnt something in the esc , just didn't sound right so I'm just looking for a better answer , thanks Konrad
                    Try lowering your throttle trim once you have everything plugged in, typically steady beeps are an indication of the ESC looking for low throttle, if it does not see it then it will not arm. When you crossed the plugs the receiver did not recognize it and may have changed the low throttle setting. Simply Rebind the receiver with Throttle Trim at neutral, then start to lower the trim one click at a time and see if it will arm. Once you have done that then you need to do the throttle calibration, here is a link to that.
                    http://www.motionrc.com/knowledgebase/#!articles/305-1384-video-how-to-initialize-your-electronic-speed-control-esc  Let me know if you have any more questions. The ESC should be fine, the middle wire is the positive so even if you plug it in backwards you will not hurt anything.

Comment

Thanks Wayne, I should have talked to you when I called , but that fixed it !!! Thanks again. Gnat

Comment

Working...
                      X