X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stinger 64 Battery

Any suggestions on how to fit a 4s 3000mah battery in the stinger 64hp. My flight time now with a 12 blade is 2:20 and I would like to get it to around 3 mins.

Thanks

RE: Stinger 64 Battery

Originally posted by ss0028
    Any suggestions on how to fit a 4s 3000mah battery in the stinger 64hp. My flight time now with a 12 blade is 2:20 and I would like to get it to around 3 mins.

Thanks
    Good luck. The biggest battery I can fit in mine is the Admiral 4s2200mah 45c, and it is a tight fit !

If you want to go to a 3000 you had better consider carving foam ;)

Btw, I'm running a twelve blade 3500kv setup and it is a beast ! 2.7 lbs of static thrust (measured
    on an RC Lander EDF test stand) pulling 67 amps. The 65amp esc that I'm using 
    is taking it though  :rolleyes: The models weighs 1.6 lbs with battery so you can imagine the vertical punch !

It's a FrankenStinger LOL !

I'm bringing her down after 3.5 mins with around 3.7 volts per cell on
    the pack (mostly two thirds throttle with a few full throttle passes).
    I'd love to get a radar gun on her as she's doing well over 100mph wide open :D
    If your pack's not swellin, you're not gellin ...

Comment

I can't see how a 4s 3000mAh can be made to fit in the Stinger 64 and still be able to CG. 12 bladed fans will always pull more amps than their fewer bladed counterparts, all other things being equal. Increasing a battery's capacity from 2200 to 3000 also increases the weight, so counting on a longer flight time isn't always as simple to predict. Rather than weighing down your aircraft with a 3000mAh and hoping to squeeze out another 30 seconds of flight, you may want to consider buying a second 4s 2200mAH battery. The cost is lower, your aircraft will be lighter and fly better, and you'll gain another 2.5 minutes total with two flights on 2200 batteries instead of just 0.5 seconds with one flight on a 3000 battery.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I know the compartment is tight as I can barley fit my 2200mah in it. The Stinger is probably one of the best jets I have purchased with $175 with all the upgrades. Thanks motion for a great jet.
        [hr]
        Also may I have done something wrong? I upgraded the 4s stock motor 2836-3500 to the 12 blade edf upgrade only and can only go 2:30 until she sputters with esc protection. I am using the ztw 65amp esc.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I know the compartment is tight as I can barley fit my 2200mah in it. The Stinger is probably one of the best jets I have purchased with $175 with all the upgrades. Thanks motion for a great jet.

[hr]
          Also may I have done something wrong? I upgraded the 4s stock motor 2836-3500 to the 12 blade edf upgrade only and can only go 2:30 until she sputters with esc protection. I am using the ztw 65amp esc.

Thanks
          I suspect that your battery is the issue. Try the Admiral Pro 4s 2200mah 45c that I'm using. Also, practice some throttle management. I cruise around at two thirds throttle and she is still moving at a very respectable clip. A few full throttle boom and zooms to wow the crowd and then I bring her home. I'm consistently bringing her down around 3.7 volts per cell.
          You are using the same power setup as me so 3.5 mins should be easily accomplished. I don't know about you but after 3.5 mins flying my FrankenStinger I'm ready to land anyway ! Too much adrenaline rush ;)
          P.s. - check your fan dynamic balance. An unbalanced fan is noisy and robs power. There are some great threads over on RC Groups regarding dynamically balancing edf's. It's not that difficult and a balanced edf sings a sweet whoosh while wasting less go juice ;)

My power setup:

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-64mm-12-blade-edf-4s-power-system-w-2836-3500kv-motor/

http://www.motionrc.com/ztw-mantis-65a-esc-with-5a-sbec/

http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-pro-2200-4s-14-8v-45c-lipo-battery/

Comment

I am using the admiral 2200mash 4s 30c and a Thunder Power 2250MAH 4s 55c.

The fan is not noisy it sounds like it should.

Also when you accelerate does you motor/fan make something like a pop noise (like it jolts with a lot of power)?

Thanks
            [hr]
            Originally posted by The Huff

[hr]

Thanks
            I suspect that your battery is the issue. Try the Admiral Pro 4s 2200mah 45c that I'm using. Also, practice some throttle management. I cruise around at two thirds throttle and she is still moving at a very respectable clip. A few full throttle boom and zooms to wow the crowd and then I bring her home. I'm consistently bringing her down around 3.7 volts per cell.
            You are using the same power setup as me so 3.5 mins should be easily accomplished. I don't know about you but after 3.5 mins flying my FrankenStinger I'm ready to land anyway ! Too much adrenaline rush ;)
            P.s. - check your fan dynamic balance. An unbalanced fan is noisy and robs power. There are some great threads over on RC Groups regarding dynamically balancing edf's. It's not that difficult and a balanced edf sings a sweet whoosh while wasting less go juice ;)

My power setup:

http://www.motionrc.com/freewing-64mm-12-blade-edf-4s-power-system-w-2836-3500kv-motor/

Also did you have to get esc to motor extensions? That was the only way I could get the Esc to velcro down.

Comment

I am using the admiral 2200mash 4s 30c and a Thunder Power 2250MAH 4s 55c.

The fan is not noisy it sounds like it should.

Also when you accelerate does you motor/fan make something like a pop noise (like it jolts with a lot of power)?

Thanks

[hr]

[hr]

Thanks

My power setup:

Also did you have to get esc to motor extensions? That was the only way I could get the Esc to velcro down.
              I rerouted the leads underneath the fan and across the top of the wing center section. I had to do 
              a slight amount of foam carving but it worked great and I was able to use the existing esc and motor leads.

Comment

What about acceleration? Does your motor make a pop type sound?

Thanks

Comment

Thanks
                  No sir. Just a smooth woosh. You might want to get an in-line power meter that measures
                  current and wattage. On the test stand I was pulling 67 amps initially with full throttle on a
                  freshly charged battery.
                  Throttle management can be a huge factor here. I let a buddy fly mine and he was hard on
                  the throttle almost the entire flight. He had the esc cut out before the timer (set for 3.5 min)
                  went off but he was able to glide her in with no problems.
                  I think the accumulated time was a just a few seconds shy of three minutes indicated on the
                  transmitter. Again, he had her wide open at least three quarters of that flight !
                  MRC carries two inline power meters:

http://www.motionrc.com/power-meters/

Comment

Thanks
                    No sir. Just a smooth woosh. You might want to get an in-line power meter that measures
                    current and wattage. On the test stand I was pulling 67 amps initially with full throttle on a
                    freshly charged battery.
                    Throttle management can be a huge factor here. I let a buddy fly mine and he was hard on
                    the throttle almost the entire flight. He had the esc cut out before the timer (set for 3.5 min)
                    went off but he was able to glide her in with no problems.
                    I think the accumulated time was a just a few seconds shy of three minutes indicated on the
                    transmitter. Again, he had her wide open at least three quarters of that flight !
                    MRC carries two inline power meters:

http://www.motionrc.com/power-meters/
                    I was the one who put the motor on the edf. Do you think it may be too tight? I didn't want the fan to fall off the motor. How tight should it be?

Also I only do 3 full throttle laps, the rest are anywhere from 25%-65%

I also already have a gt power meter. What connectors do you suggest I solder on to it? I want to be able to use this with most of my planes.

Thanks

Comment

I have Dean T connectors on my power meter as most of my models are set up for Deans. My
                      80mm A-6 Intruder and 80mm F-5 Tiger have EC5's because of the higher current draw (and
                      that's what they delivered with). I made adapters for them to use with my power meter.
                      I would recommend trying to standardize the connector that you use across your fleet and stick
                      with it. Solder that style connector on your power meter.
                      As far as your motor being too tight, that's all subjective as I am not there and can't look at it. If
                      you are pulling more amps than I am (~67) at full throttle on a freshly charged pack, you may have
                      a mechanical, dynamic balance, or possibly even a defective motor issue.

Comment

I have Dean T connectors on my power meter as most of my models are set up for Deans. My
                        80mm A-6 Intruder and 80mm F-5 Tiger have EC5's because of the higher current draw (and
                        that's what they delivered with). I made adapters for them to use with my power meter.
                        I would recommend trying to standardize the connector that you use across your fleet and stick
                        with it. Solder that style connector on your power meter.
                        As far as your motor being too tight, that's all subjective as I am not there and can't look at it. If
                        you are pulling more amps than I am (~67) at full throttle on a freshly charged pack, you may have
                        a mechanical, dynamic balance, or possibly even a defective motor issue.
                        I tested the motor with my power meter and here are the results I got at full throttle:

57 Amps
                        13.74 volts
                        3 wh
                        13.87Vm
                        58.54Ap
                        763.0W
                        837.7Wp
                        .315Ah

Comment

Those numbers are low across the board. Order the battery that I recommended. I think you will
                          see quite an improvement.

Comment

Those numbers are low across the board. Order the battery that I recommended. I think you will
                            see quite an improvement.

Ok I have a thunder power 4s 2250mah 55c on order. Do you think running the motor like this will damage it?

Comment

I doubt it will damage your motor. You're just not going to get the full potential of your power
                              system when running it on a weak pack.
                              Just curious ... Do you store your packs at approximately 3.85 volts per cell or do you come
                              home with them depleted (and left that way) or left fully charged ?
                              I was guilty of this early into this hobby, but I learned (after replacing quite a few packs because
                              they failed prematurely) to make sure I stored them at the recommended 3.85 volts per cell.
                              A little diligence sure eases the hurt on your wallet !

Comment

I doubt it will damage your motor. You're just not going to get the full potential of your power
                                Just curious ... Do you store your packs at approximately 3.85 volts per cell or do you come
                                I was guilty of this early into this hobby, but I learned (after replacing quite a few packs because
                                they failed prematurely) to make sure I stored them at the recommended 3.85 volts per cell.
                                I have not done the storage yet sine it didn't know how long it was for/ the sit between 3.80-12.20v for a maximum period of 5 days before they are used again. Is this damaging the batteries?

Comment

The new battery is being delivered today, how do you know if a fan is unbalanced? Does the low amperage mean it is balanced?

Thanks

Comment

For the pop noise as the fan speed ramps up. I noticed that on mine as well. I suspect it's the end play in the motor being taken up suddenly when the forward thrust of the fan overcomes the magnetic field of the motor. I did notice that my motor had quite a bit of endplay, so I'm planning to tighten that up with an adjustment or with shims to see if that resolves it. Other than that, the balance doesn't seem too bad.

Comment

Hello Staff at MotionRC

The 2 small jets that i have are a Hobbyking T-45 64mm Edf and aTwin 64mm A-10. I am using Don's 3500kv 6 bladed Balanced EDF units, i have come to the conclusion that the fans are a tad louder instead of the silent whoosh of the new 12 bladed edfs and speed is maybe 10-12% slower, but i am flying 4 minutes with the T-45 and getting 4.5 minutes with the A-10.
                                      so you have 2 choices

12bladed fan turbine silent whoosh sound------pulling 60amp thus taking alot of energy from the battery
                                      or a 6bladed dynamically balanced fan sounds like a hair dryer, but barable--------pulling 40 amps thus reduced energy for more flight time.
                                      hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                                      X