X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ztw esc problems

Was wondering if anyone has experienced trouble with the Gecko esc's. I've been thru 2 now and all the same problem. If you advance the throttle fast they cut out, until you decrease the speed. The 1'st one is a 120amp, 2'nd 85. They both do the same thing. Sent the esc, motor combo to Motion to have tested, and with out load (prop) it was fine. Pulling out my HAIR on this one. Any help would be great !

RE: Ztw esc problems

Are you aware of this firmware update?
    http://www.hobbysquawk.com/Thread-ZT...irmware-update

And this discussion. Don't ask how a poll is used in the trouble shooting tree.
    http://www.hobbysquawk.com/Thread-Ge...A-ESC-Cuts-Out

Comment

Looks like there was a serious sword fight going on in the Poll thread. I only own Mantis and type A ZTW esc s and love them.
      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Fight no, but very different thought processes yes.

What I'd like learn is how successful has the new firmware been.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
          Was wondering if anyone has experienced trouble with the Gecko esc's. I've been thru 2 now and all the same problem. If you advance the throttle fast they cut out, until you decrease the speed. The 1'st one is a 120amp, 2'nd 85. They both do the same thing. Sent the esc, motor combo to Motion to have tested, and with out load (prop) it was fine. Pulling out my HAIR on this one. Any help would be great !
          That sounds like you are demanding excess current vs what the battery can deliver and triggering LVC.
          Try paralleling 2 batteries. If that cures (or delays it) it you have your answer.

Are the connectors between battery and ESC getting hot? That is an indication of not fully plugging in, bad contact or a bad solder joint. These can all act to limit current (that's why it gets hot)

Are the wires getting hot? That would indicate a need for better wires (no idea what is on those ESCs or your batteries) For example you need 10 gauge aluminum to handle the current that 12 gauge copper can handle or if copper go to the next larger gauge. (at least)

As the motor works to accelerate the prop (and aircraft)it demands higher current than at steady power. So it is very possible to need higher current during the transition than you need at steady full throttle. Make the transition rapid and you can drop effective voltage at the ESC to the point of triggering LVC.

The testing of an ESC you send in might never find it because they might use a power supply that can deliver what is demanded... if they aren't testing THE SAME motor, ESC, battery AND PROP as a combo.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The Gecko has a known issue with loosing computation (timing) as the throttle is moved fast. I've had multiple set ups were the Gecko failed as the throttle was moved fast. And the same exact hardware performed flawlessly when the ESC was changed to a Castle Creation Edge ESC (even one of a lower rating). The ZTW Gecko has an issue with low wind motors (high Kv). The firmware is aimed at addressing this timing issue. The Gecko user setting can address the battery high impedance cells just by lowering the LVC point. If it was a battery voltage suppression issues the battery would not last long even if reaching full throttle with slow stick movement.

What the OP is reporting is the classic phenomenon that the new firmware is trying to address.

My question was the new firmware successful or does ZTW need a hardware upgrade in the way of new inductors (EMF sensors)? For my motors (Hackers Scorpion, and Actro) the new firmware has been effective. But my situation is only one of a myriad possible combinations.

"Cut out" if the ESC kills power to the motor and the motor just winds down. Then I too would look at a voltage suppression issue with the battery. If by "Cut Out" you notice a stuttering, screeching machine gun like sound and stays that way until you back down the throttle, then it is a commutation issue with the ESC.

I went with the Gecko for the fast throttle response that is often lacking in some of the lesser ESC. (I have real issues with the E-flight XX Pro) The Gecko and Castle Creation have had very good throttle response and fair sized BECs.

Comment

Thanks guys. Konrad you hit it point blank. When I said cut out, it sounds like an old chevy that's thrown a rod with the screeching, lol. Will try the firmware update (not sure how that works, but will figure it out) and get back to all. I am glad someone else has the same issues. Once again THANKS guys........Jack

Comment

You will need this programing card and a Windows machine, plus the firmware down loaded from Altitude Hobbies.
                LCD ESC Programming Card for the ZTW Series - ZTW180000010 This programming card is specifically designed for the ZTW Gecko Series electronic speed controls. How to Use the LCD Program Card: The LCD Program card can be used to set up the Gecko series brushless ESC produced by ZTW Model for RC aircraft and RC cars. User

I can't count beeps or flashes so I also like to buy programing cards for all the ESC that I have. It makes life so much easier.

Throwing a rod and screeching like it ran out of oil! LOL
                I'll need to use that description more often.

Comment

Hello folks, an update to my problem. Well I took Konrad's advice and did the firmware update from ZTW, and at this point it has worked great in the 85 amp esc. I did a static test, with an 1700 fms P51, for about 3 min of constant up down throttle, and no problem. Haven't hooked up the 125 amp yet, but feel confident the result will be the same. I am very great full of the advice learned from the forum! What a great resource. I hope this helps others.

Comment

Great to hear! This kind of feedback is very important. I know it will help me in remote assessment of future issues here on Hobby Squawk.

Comment

An update to my previous post. I did the firmware update to my 125amp Gecko and the same static test as the 85amp with the same results. The update resolved the issues in both esc's. Thought the members would like to know. Thanks..... Jack

Comment

Good to learn it worked, not only for me but for you as well. And again thanks for closing the loop on these technical inquiries.

Comment

I also had a problem with the Gecko 85A in a Freewing P51D upgrade using a 5S lipo. Testing with a wattmeter, when I got near the very top of the throttle range (just exceeding 80A) the motor just started to stutter and screech (thought I might have damaged the motor initially). Sounds similar to what Jack encountered. When I went back to the stock 4S battery it was OK.

After reading the threads here and on RCG, I downloaded and installed the Altitude Hobbies firmware and it seems to have resolved the problem using the 5S battery. I have two other Gecko 85A ESC's for future projects so I decided to go ahead and install the Altitude firmware on them as well. The installations went well except on the third ESC the transfer progress bar stopped at 98% and wouldn't continue. I tried to flash the firmware again but the progress bar would never even start. The ZTW software reported the same firmware version number for the 3rd ESC as the others I upgraded and I also tried it in the P51D 5S setup and had no throttle problems so it seems to be OK.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the threads on this subject here on Hobby Squawk and on RCG.

Bill

Comment

RCG=RCGoofs? Not as a result of the membership but rather their management! Lets keep this site family friendly and try not to mention RCG.

Glad it worked out even with the 98% notice. May I ask what OS you are using on your computer?

Comment

Konrad, sorry about the other group reference :D, just trying to spread the love!

I'm using Windows 7 SP1 and I'm not sure why I had the issue on only the third ESC. Also not sure why I couldn't just re-flash the firmware. Maybe the Gecko software doesn't proceed if it already detects the same firmware version is already installed???

Bill

Comment

Spreading something!:rolleyes:

I too have no idea as to why there would be any issue. I just like to collect any data points that might be useful, later in tracking down any problems.

And as always thanks for the data point and feedback.

All the best,
                                Konrad

Comment

Having a problem getting my ZTW LCD programming card to light up.

Have the ZTW 155amp HV Gecko Opto with a HV CC 20amp SBEC installed.

Bought the ZTW LC D programming card so I could make sure timing was set to low for my FW 8S 1390kv edf setup.

Plugged in the short cable from ESC to LCD Programming card. Turned on RX and plugged in battery. Nothing. Tried using a seperate 350mah 2S for power. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong ?
                                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

I have 2 of them that are "supposed to" have the new firmware. They do the same thing. Hit the throttle too quick and short screech and dead stick. Unplug and plug in and good to go again. They are the Gecko 85A. I have another one one the way from Motion. I did try the upgrade but couldn't get it to work.
                                    Are there any step by step instructions including where and what to download? I am no very computer savvy so any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                                      Having a problem getting my ZTW LCD programming card to light up.

Have the ZTW 155amp HV Gecko Opto with a HV CC 20amp SBEC installed.

Bought the ZTW LC D programming card so I could make sure timing was set to low for my FW 8S 1390kv edf setup.

Plugged in the short cable from ESC to LCD Programming card. Turned on RX and plugged in battery. Nothing
                                      Tried using a seperate 350mah 2S for power. Nothing. Putting 2S (7.4v) power source to the programmer more than likely fried it since it clearly states 5-6v at the power port.
                                      Did you do this prior to plug in of the short cable?? If not then I would say that you have a defective programmer.

What am I doing wrong ?
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by Swing View Post
                                        I have 2 of them that are "supposed to" have the new firmware. They do the same thing. Hit the throttle too quick and short screech and dead stick. Unplug and plug in and good to go again. They are the Gecko 85A. I have another one one the way from Motion. I did try the upgrade but couldn't get it to work.
                                        Are there any step by step instructions including where and what to download? I am no very computer savvy so any help is appreciated.
                                        Did you get the 2 download files located here?

https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ec#support-tab
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                        X