X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 250 Quad Builds

I know they aren't airplanes but they are aircraft... These are two of my three winter projects. Everyone else at our field has one of these 250 sized quads so I had to keep up with the Jones... :)

Attached Files
    Lauren

RE: New 250 Quad Builds

Who DOESN'T have a few 250mm class racers lying around these days!  :) They are a lot of fun for sure. I have a couple of cheapies built and flying but am always enticed to buy more frames it seems?! I really like that frame with the yellow body set. Is it a Tarot? Or? I have one similar but in neon green. Just need to find time to get 'er built!

Comment

RE: New 250 Quad Builds

Originally posted by Bajora
      Who DOESN'T have a few 250mm class racers lying around these days!  :) They are a lot of fun for sure. I have a couple of cheapies built and flying but am always enticed to buy more frames it seems?! I really like that frame with the yellow body set. Is it a Tarot? Or? I have one similar but in neon green. Just need to find time to get 'er built!
      Isn't that the truth! Quite the fad at the moment, at least with my group. :)

The one I have is a knock off of the Tarot called Robocat. Storm also makes one similar called the StormRacer. My son's got the kit for me for Christmas off of Amazon from a company named LHI. It seems like a decent frame, all carbon fiber and I kind of like the flip top. Makes it easy to get to the innards. I popped a CC3D board in it using LibrePilot (it is the continuation of the now defunct OpenPilot). I was going to use CleanFlight like I have on the Mudskipper but wanted to see how LibrePilot had evolved the OpenPilot platform. Haven't been able to get it outside yet to really tune it because Momma Nature sent a blizzard our way. So I've been flying it in my spacious (sarcasm) living room. ;) I've had the Mudskipper out for a quick flight and that one seems pretty solid. The little bit that I've flown the Robocat it seems pretty nice. Got to get some better props on it. The ones I have on it flex quite a bit but they don't break when I hit the sofa. Ha! The motors are eMax 2204's and the ESC's are eMax BLHeli One Shots 12a. Running a 3s 2200 battery on it which I have a ton of since many of my airplanes use that same battery. The board camera is a Runcam PZ0420M and the VTx is an RMRC Crickett 200 mW 5.8GHz and the VAS Race Spec Airscrew antenna. The frame came with a perfect sized hole to mount it on. Anyways, go get her done and it's nice to meet you!
      Lauren

Comment

The 250 race quads are a blast. Nice builds!

Comment

Quads are a fast developing part of model aviation. Another way to enjoy the hobby and a way to make some things fly that used to be impossible.

I'd be more interested in something large and relatively inexpensive (no GPS needed)... with a claw for retrieving models up to 2 lb from the tops of tall trees...
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by Teeks.MotionRC View Post
            The 250 race quads are a blast. Nice builds!
            Yours too Teeks!! I like the invasion stripes....! ;) Is it a QAV250?
            Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
              Quads are a fast developing part of model aviation. Another way to enjoy the hobby and a way to make some things fly that used to be impossible.

I'd be more interested in something large and relatively inexpensive (no GPS needed)... with a claw for retrieving models up to 2 lb from the tops of tall trees...

Ha!! One of the guys in the club had a HK Durafly Retro Junior that he was flying when the battery in his Tx ran out of juice. It flew around and around and into the top of a tall tree so we were going to try to use my big Y6 Scorpion in an attempt to use a grapple to get it out. He sort of gave up the project and I think the plane finally blew out of the tree anyways. There is a YouTube video I saw of some guy in England who's quad had gotten stuck on top of what looked like a castle tower and they used another quad with a hook and got it down so I guess it can be done! :)
              Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post
                Yours too Teeks!! I like the invasion stripes....! ;) Is it a QAV250?

Thanks! One of the many uses of Monokote. It is actually a Nighthawk Pro 280

Comment

Originally posted by Teeks.MotionRC View Post

Thanks! One of the many uses of Monokote. It is actually a Nighthawk Pro 280

Oh the EMax one!!! How do you like it? That frame and all looked pretty decent to me. My youngest son is going to be looking at a 250 this summer and I was thinking of getting him one of those for his birthday in May. I like the EMax line... It's seems to be decent quality at a budget price.
                  Lauren

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl View Post

Oh the EMax one!!! How do you like it? That frame and all looked pretty decent to me. My youngest son is going to be looking at a 250 this summer and I was thinking of getting him one of those for his birthday in May. I like the EMax line... It's seems to be decent quality at a budget price.

It is a great deal for the price. The quality is great and the frame is very sturdy. The arms are pretty thick at 4mm and can take some abuse. My only concern with the setup was that integrated board design was left fairly exposed on the bottom. But there are a few easy solutions to cover this if it concerns you.

Comment

Working...
                    X