X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZTW Gecko 150amp Opto won’t bind.

I am installing this gecko ESC’s in a free wing F16 that I upgraded to 8 Cells. I added a ztw ubec and can not bind the ESC. couldn’t bind it before adding the ubec either. The receiver does bind and the flight controls work. the motor just does the single one beep per second as if there is no throttle input. I have narrowed it down to the esc as the motor works with another esc and another esc works plugged into the circuit card in the plane I checked that throttle trim is all the way down and doesn’t need to be reversed as the afterburner responds normally. This is a brand new esc that I got about one year ago but never installed and I don’t want to have to buy another one if I don’t have to. I am not using the anti spark wire but I didn’t think that would affect or cause this problem. Any thoughts? I’m pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Originally posted by Daneflyer View Post
    I am installing this gecko ESC’s in a free wing F16 that I upgraded to 8 Cells. I added a ztw ubec and can not bind the ESC. couldn’t bind it before adding the ubec either. The receiver does bind and the flight controls work. the motor just does the single one beep per second as if there is no throttle input. I have narrowed it down to the esc as the motor works with another esc and another esc works plugged into the circuit card in the plane I checked that throttle trim is all the way down and doesn’t need to be reversed as the afterburner responds normally. This is a brand new esc that I got about one year ago but never installed and I don’t want to have to buy another one if I don’t have to. I am not using the anti spark wire but I didn’t think that would affect or cause this problem. Any thoughts? I’m pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot this problem.
    Hello Dane,
    Wow....only the 7th post in 2.5+ years on the Squawk......welcome back around
    Let me first get you started with some proper terms.............The Rx is what you bind and the ESC is initialized.
    The OPTO means that there is no BEC on the ESC which means that it does not provide the system Vcc to the Rx whereas you have to use a UBEC with it which you have done so after trying to "initialize" the ESC before adding it as you described.
    I read that you set the throttle trims are all the way down
    I didn't read that you acknowledged whether the ESC recognized the 8S system (8 beeps) before it started the one beep every second.
    I also didn't read if you did your throttle curve/range calibration per the ZTW manual (an industry standard by the way)..........See Pg3 Throttle Curve Calibration of the ZTW ESC manual.
    This particular anomaly of the throttle curve not being set in the ESC is the most common cause for no initialization for most ESC no start questions that arise such as yours.
    Let us know ....................
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thank you for your reply Charlie. I knew bind wasn’t the correct word, but I just couldn’t pull the correct word out of my frustrated brain. To answer your question, I thought a sign of initiation was the final 8 beeps. It never gets to that point. It just beeps as described like it is not getting a throttle input. I knew the receiver is getting the input and moving the signal through the card because the after burner lights up when the throttle is advance. If a remember right the throttle calibration was done by powering up with the throttle advanced full and then bring throttle down to full off. I have done that. I’ll have to look at pg 3 and make sure that’s right. I need to add that I did make a throttle lead extension and I did not carry the red wire through since I have a ubec. I don’t think that makes any difference since the esc is not supplying voltage. Right?? I am about to order the 8S esc and BEC from freewing designed for the F 4, but I was hoping that I was just missing something that was a simple fix before spending another $140.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Charlie. I knew bind wasn’t the correct word, but I just couldn’t pull the correct word out of my frustrated brain. To answer your question, I thought a sign of initiation was the final 8 beeps.Actually the cell count is the first order and then the completion tone if everything is functioning properly It never gets to that point. It just beeps as described like it is not getting a throttle input. Because it isn't even recognizing the cell count......Try a factory reset I knew the receiver is getting the input and moving the signal through the card because the after burner lights up when the throttle is advance. If a remember right the throttle calibration was done by powering up with the throttle advanced full and then bring throttle down after first beep to full off. I have done that. That's correct I’ll have to look at pg 3 and make sure that’s right. I need to add that I did make a throttle lead extension and I did not carry the red wire through since I have a ubec. I don’t think that makes any difference since the esc is not supplying voltage. Right?? That's correct I am about to order the 8S esc and BEC from freewing designed for the F 4, but I was hoping that I was just missing something that was a simple fix before spending another $140. You could very well just happen to have DOA new device but don't give up on it before trying the factory reset. Also some of those 85A and higher ZTW's needed to have a firmware upgrade. The link to that is in the MRC product support tab for the particular ZTW ESC shown below.
        https://www.motionrc.com/collections/airplane-and-helicopter-escs/products/ztw-gecko-150a-esc-opto-high-voltage#support-tab
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thank you so much OV10!! I don’t know what I did different but it worked this time after doing the throttle calibration. Looking forward to getting this project finished up so I can finish my FMS F18 and get it flying.

Comment

Thank you so much OV10!! I don’t know what I did different but it worked this time after doing the throttle calibration. Looking forward to getting this project finished up so I can finish my FMS F18 and get it flying.
            The throttle cal is the culprit most of the time.......... Glad ya saved a C note +
            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
            X