X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motot runs on when transmitter is shut off

Just assembled my Clipped Wing Cub BNF basic from Horizon and have a problem. The motor starts and runs when I turn the trans off. I unplug the bat and it stops and when I plug bat back in it as normal. I can turn on the trans and it operates as normal until I shut the trans off and the motor starts up. Emailed Horizon but thought to see if any one of you guys has seen this happen.

Originally posted by Winggo View Post
    Just assembled my Clipped Wing Cub BNF basic from Horizon and have a problem. The motor starts and runs when I turn the trans off. I unplug the bat and it stops and when I plug bat back in it as normal. I can turn on the trans and it operates as normal until I shut the trans off and the motor starts up. Emailed Horizon but thought to see if any one of you guys has seen this happen.
    Glad you asked the question. When it comes to safety it's always better to ask then find out the hard way.

It is not safe practice to have your plane powered without control (transmitter up and running). There has to be a control device for your model or it could possibly do whatever it wants with the possibility of doing great harm. ALWAYS disable your plane before turning off your transmitter. Conversely, make sure your transmitter is up and running BEFORE powering your airplane.

Comment

I don't have that many planes but all of the instructions call for you to power up the plane and then bind by holding the bind button and then turning on the transmitter. No where in any of my plane instruction manuals or the manual for the Spektrum DX8e does it refer to this practice. I don't suppose you have any useful information that pertains to my post?

Comment

Try rebinding the receiver to the radio to set the fail safe feature if the receiver is a fail safe enabled receiver. R.
        AMA 424553

Comment

I don't have that many planes but all of the instructions call for you to power up the plane and then bind by holding the bind button and then turning on the transmitter. No where in any of my plane instruction manuals or the manual for the Spektrum DX8e does it refer to this practice. I don't suppose you have any useful information that pertains to my post?
          The only time you should have a powered plane without a powered transmitter is during the bind procedure and it is best practice to not have the propeller installed at bind time. After a successful bind procedure follow best practice of having your transmitter up and running, throttle to idle and throttle cut switch activated before powering up the plane. Also, be sure to program a throttle cut switch. Without a throttle cut switch, bumping or fumbling with your transmitter while everything is powered up is very dangerous. Don't ask me how I know. Nobody got hurt but it wasn't pretty.

These practices are not always spelled out in manuals but help reduce the possibility uncontrolled or inadvertent operation of your model.

Comment

I believe the information Beeg gave is very useful. Never should you connect the battery without first powering the up the radio to the proper model (if you have multiple models set in your radio)... except, and only exception, when following the binding procedure. Upon a successful landing, never power off your radio until after you've unplugged the battery from your model. You have learned first hand what not following this practice can do. Luckily nobody was hurt in the process.

Be safe and have fun!
            Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

I will retry the bind to see what happens.
              I will also keep in mind the "on/off" process in the future. Just never heard of it before, but then I am somewhat new to the hobby.
              Thanks

Comment

I will retry the bind to see what happens.
                I will also keep in mind the "on/off" process in the future. Just never heard of it before, but then I am somewhat new to the hobby.
                Thanks
                You can assign a switch to do that for you, scroll down in the menu and find throttle cut and assign a switch to it, I use switch H for mine. R.
                AMA 424553

Comment

You might want to reread all your manuals abit more closely!!

In the DX-8E manual :- Page 2 under “General Notes” point 6........

”•When working with a model, always power on the transmitter first and power off the transmitter last”

From the Clipped Wing Cub Manual :- Page 2 under “Safety Precautions and Warnings” point 10.......

“•Always keep transmitter powered on while aircraft is powered”

Comment

the power on/off procedure is basic RC 101. now you know. taz101 is right, it's typically the very first topic in the manuals.

Comment

Also, if the motor is running when the throttle is zero, then your esc isn't calibrated properly. Follow the procedure for setting up your esc according to its manual.

Remove the prop first, and if it is an make sure it is secured and won't run away.

And set up throttle.cut

And if your transmitter supports it, set a startup warning if the throttle cut is not engaged.

Comment

Working...
                      X