X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Motor compatible chart

Hello everyone I am trying to find a chart or specs comparing MotionRC Electric Motors to Eflight and rim fires I have not been able to find enough information so I can make a decision on which one to pick. Is the Admiral G5 close to rim fires .55. I am new to rc planes and the KV rating is a little confusing. Ok here is my problem I have the nexa tiger moth and 72 inch Lysander. Is the G5 that is suggested for the tiger moth be enough for the Lysander. Thanks for any help.

Hello I_Tank
    There is unfortunately no electric motor comparison charts of the various manufactures. This is because like minded electrical tech geeks as myself and others have been unable to put any reliable charts together primarily because the manufactures for the most part tend to keep their specs rather close to the vest.
    Motion does publish the mech & elec specs for the Admiral GP5 (as well as for the Freewing and Scorpion brands) whereas the only thing you can glean from the Horizon/Tower site on the Rimfire55 is the can sizing of 4260 and the kV of 480.

The first problem with comparing these two motors is the extreme disparencies with the kV ratings with the GP5 being 290kV higher at 770kV than the above stated 480kV for the Rimfire.
    The motors kV is one the 3 primary factors for determining power requirements for an aircraft. The other two are Voltage and Prop(dia/pitch/blades) .
    The 770kV range is usually representative of a motor using a prop dia of 11-14 inches on a 4S voltage whereas the 480Kv range of motors represents a 6S power spinning 14-16 diameter prop.
    The bottom line to kV ratings gives you an unloaded RPM...……….. ie > the 770kV x 14.8Vdc(4S nominal) = 11,396rpm
    The recommended motor for the Nexa Tigermoth is way underpowered for the Blackhorse Lysander. The Blackhorse is in another class regarding weight and wing area.
    Motion has all ready done some of your legwork for power recommendation on the Lysander product overview page with the GP26 motor that has a 245kV rating on 8S with a 18" prop.
    Power coefficient calculations can be a tricky and sometimes confusing facet to those that aren't aware of the science behind it and wonder why there is smoke when they do what is believed a simple prop diameter change.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks for the information, and the Lysander is small Phoenix model I probably use the next higher motor from motionRc and again thanks.

Comment

Hello again I_Tank
        Now that you've further identified which manufacturer of the Lysander you're intending to build I thought that I would try and give an assist with a little deeper dive into your power setup concerns.
        Knowing that Tower is the primary Phoenix Models distributor in the USA, I went to the site https://www.towerhobbies.com/product.../PMMA1790.html and
        was totally confounded to see how Tower has recently stripped the basic tech data specs from the product details page on the majority of the airframes it sells which is just some dumb stuff on the cheap marketing.
        Fortunately the Phoenix Models website has the information. http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=631
        After reviewing those specs I can see why you were focused on the 480kV Rimfire and possibly finding a less expensive alternative.
        When you say that you'll probably use the next higher motor( bigger than the GP5) from Motion, you unfortunately can't get to an equivalent with the GP10 because it's 400kV is 80 away from the recommendation which is quite a step away when using a 6S system. The lower 80kV may seem like a small percentage difference(16.6%) but power equations are not linear. With that much lower kV you may need a much larger prop to get to the power factor needed for this plane but then most likely will have ground strike clearance issues.
        The only motor that Motion carries that is close to the Rimfire kV spec is the Scorpion HKIII and now your about double the price of the Rimfire.
        The only other motor to the Rimfire that I could recommend that has equivalent kV and power ratings is the E-flite Power 60 that is at 470kV which however is still in the same $100ish price range.
        https://www.towerhobbies.com/product...EFLM4060B.html
        If you don't already have a power meter as part of your "tool box", it's well worth the investment in support of your electric flying addiction.
        https://www.motionrc.com/products/gt...yzer-gtp180awm
        Happy shopping
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Thanks for the info and as for the meter I am going to order 1 as soon as I can again thanks

Comment

Working...
          X