X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor size

I got a Cessna 182 40 almost ready to fly code A011 used never out of box Balsa construction with fiberglass 95% factory assembled
    Specifications
    fuselage length 1160mm /46 in.
    wing span 1600mm /63inwing area 32dm /496 sq.in
    flying weight 6 lbs
    engine required 2c 0.40 cu in.
    can anybody give me any ideas of what electric motor and esc battery and prop to put in it

new to this hobby and I just want to make sure I get this plane right I have two foam planes I’m learning on I like to find out what company made it

Hello whizbang,
    Do you have an idea of what brand motor you'd be considering for use? Off the cuff, I am very familiar with FMS power systems that Motion carries and would suggest that the 4250-580kV motor http://www.motionrc.com/fms-4250-kv580-motor/ and the corresponding ESC http://www.motionrc.com/fms-70a-esc-with-5a-sbec/ with a 3 blade 14x8 prop. I am running this set up on a balsa/ply VQ SBD5 Dauntless with very good scale flying results. It has a 1550mm span and weighs almost 7 lbs.
    Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I always recommend the Castle Creations ESC if you aren't going with an ESC that came with your ARF/PNP/RTF package.

Castle ESCs simply work better and are more reliable than any others I have owned.
      They are well known for surviving voltage and current well beyond their labeled ratings.

Castle recently did a firmware upgrade that installs on ESCs dating back over 10 years. The difference is amazing.
      Because there is a good chance of this upgrade not being already done to new ESCs that are somewhere in the chain from their warehouse to dealers' shelves, its best to get the ESC programmer card + computer interface and ensure you update firmware.

I recommend that anyone get the ESC programming card for ANY ESC they own. These things save you a lot of trouble...
      http://www.motionrc.com/dynam-esc-programming-card/ (Works on Turnigy)
      Air ESC Programming Card for FMS, RocHobby and ZTW Beatles Series ESCs - ZTW110000010 Say goodbye to the confusing process of programming your electronic speed controller (ESC) using your radio transmitter. The ZTW Air ESC programming card allows you to quickly and easily adjust the settings on your FMS, RocHobby, and

Not sure why Motion doesn't seem to have the new Castle programming card with Castle-Link interface... They have the old Castle link computer interface.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks for all the input since i'm new to this hobby and this plane didn't come with electronic .just the plane i found it at a sale cheap 50.00 still in box like new i would go with what OV10 said but would that work with a two blade prop so i guess a castle esc with a fms 4250-kv 580-motor im going have to get bigger battery you think i need 4s

Comment

Oh definitely 4S power as a minimum!! You can run 2 blade if you choose. The equivalent to the three blade 14x8 I mentioned above in a 2 blade would be a 14x9or10 or a 15x8. Because you are not getting a preinstalled power system and I personally believe every electric pilot should own one is a power meter. It is a smart investment and one that is used by many including myself is the GT Power http://www.motionrc.com/gt-power-130...ower-analyzer/
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hi whizbang

I do not think the 4250-580 is going to be the correct motor for this plane. I realize this is a cub with high lift but I really belive this is not going to do it. I have the carol gold berg J-3 and ended up using the e-flite 46 power motor with a 14x6 prop and a ztw 80 amp esc and a admiral 36004 s battery. This give this plane great power and decent flight time. The 4250-580 flies the P-51 with enough power to fly them scale and they only have a 57" wing so I feel this plane might be to heavy for the motor. Hay I could be wrong I am only making a suggestion here so please do not kill me LoL . hope this helps?

Comment

Hello bradl4648,
              Unfortunately the comments that you expressed like "I do not think" or "I really believe" or "I feel" are not a sound methodology for making power recommendations to someone.
              If you reference my post #2, I have actually used that FMS power plant on a 7lb warbird and did all the power measurements with success and it has a dozen flights.
              The Eflite 46 that you recommend is basically in the same power specs envelope as the FMS but at twice the price, so you have provided a pricier option that could work.
              Because the OP is new to the hobby I purposely recommended a power size for a scale flyer and not something like a
              FMS 5060-360kV 6S setup that would make it a hot rod. Just wanted to respond so that the OP wasn't shooed away from a proven option choice because of speculation.
              Best regards,
              Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
              X