Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best lipo battery?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best lipo battery?

The best lipo battery is a hot topic.
    Due to the rising cost of production materials, we spend more on batteries. The budget battery brand seems more worthy of our consideration.
    On this topic, I delved into some of the brands that are commonly found in the market. Then I wrote this article (Best Lipo Battery Brand for 2022) and did a ranking about them.

Which do you vote for? Welcome to discuss.

Originally posted by Gray View Post
    Due to the rising cost of production materials, we spend more on batteries. The budget battery brand seems more worthy of our consideration.
    On this topic, I delved into some of the brands that are commonly found in the market. Then I wrote this article (Best Lipo Battery Brand for 2022) and did a ranking about them.

"Sale and word of mouth" are fine and good but not very scientific and what are these "other reliable date" you quote? And how did you "delve" into "some of the brands"? I'd rather go by real world load tests from this guy:

You state on your opening page that 2 of your "top 5" are Gens Ace and Spektrum. This past year, we've discovered that Gens Ace are "OK" but are no longer one of the best and they are horribly over-priced for what you get. I still use them but they are NOT my better battereis. A friend disliked them so much, he sold off ALL of his Gens Ace batteries cheap and replaced them with far better products. I've have begun to do so myself. Additionally, Spektrum is ONE OF THE WORST batteries to buy. Way over-priced, poor performing and NOT worth the effort. Take a look at those real world load tests to see how the Spektrum did - they are appalling. Based on this alone, your "buying guide" has very low believability.

Comment

Looks like he focused on RC car hard cased packs. What do I know other than I wouldn't buy any of those brands.

Comment

Same here. An interesting comment made by the owner of SMC (Florida) ........................ "C" ratings on SMC "flight batteries" are very close to real world load tests. However, when it comes to batteries for cars, he said that car guys love to see very high C ratings stamped on the batteries. Consequently, battery companies give them what they want - fake high C ratings because that's what makes them happy and that's what they buy. I see ChinaHobbyLine (which I buy exclusively now), do the same. Their batteries for cars and racing quads have abnormally high C ratings stamped on them. It seems buggy guys like to be lied to.
        His "Best LiPo battery brand for 2022" is inaccurate, irrelevent and doing a tremendous dis-service to our hobby. It'll fool a whole bunch of people ONCE and maybe even a few people TWICE.

Oh, another comment from SMC ................... LiPo battery supply is in a crunch state. Supply is and will continue to be stunted. If you need good batteries, best to stock up if you can or while you can. (Crap batteries will remain easy to find and acquire.)

Comment

RC lipo batteries in Series Vs. Parallel – Which Is better?
          I wrote an article about RC lipo batteries in Series Vs. Parallel
          we can discuss it together​

Comment

ChinaHobbyLine ...................................Your comparison is duly noted, however, it is not quite applicable to what I would need to do. Most of my airplanes are limited to overall weight and dimensions of the battery. Let's take, for example, a typical battery application of 5000mah, 6s LiPo. We would have 2 options. 1.) 2 X 2500mah, 6s hooked up in parallel, producing the equivalent of a single 5000mah, 6s. 2.) 2 X 5000mah, 3s hooked up in series, producing the equivalent of a single 5000, 6s.
            NOW, which one is "better"?

Your example would give me a parallel set up that would increase the mah capacity, BUT this would be way too big to fit into the battery compartment and be way too heavy for any given plane. I do not want to increase the mah capacity for this reason. I want to keep the total mah at 5000mah due to weight and space limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray View Post
              On this topic, I delved into some of the brands that are commonly found in the market. Then I wrote this article (Best Lipo Battery Brand for 2022 io games) and did a ranking about them.

There are many popular lipo battery brands in the market including Gens Ace, Tattu, Turnigy, Zippy, Venom, etc. I suggest you evaluate the factors mentioned above and choose the brand that fits your requirements and budget the best.​

Comment

Possibly already answered, but I could not locate here or RCG.

SMC now only offers the HV LiPo flight packs in the size I use (6S). Is there published info about which typical Freewing/Flightline ESCs play nice with the HV batteries?

Especially interested for: AL37, B-2, PJ-50, F-4

SMC was contacted and promptly responded. Their guidance was to buy one and try it out to see if each ESC in these birds will initialize.

Thanks,
                GG

Comment

No reports of issues with 6S but quite a few with the stock 8S FW ESCs, both the older one with a separate BEC and the new one with the 8S Eurofighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                    No reports of issues with 6S but quite a few with the stock 8S FW ESCs, both the older one with a separate BEC and the new one with the 8S Eurofighter.
                    Good to know. Thank you!

-GG

Comment

Must be AI, just joined, first post and lousy recommendations..

Comment

Working...
                      X