X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor twitching

I have an out runner motor that is twitching. I think the ESC is causing it because I can plug the same motor into a different ESC and it works fine
    the ESC is a Beatles ZTW 30A. I have also been trying to reset the ESC

How have you been "resetting" it? Sounds to me like you need to do a throttle calibration, which is not the same as resetting it. If it still does it after that, it could be a loose or bad magnet in the motor.

Comment

I don’t see anything in the programming list for throttle calibration, maybe it is called something else?!?

Comment

Throttle calibration is not part of the programming list. It's just something that is done for almost all electric plane systems. This is how the ESC learns what zero throttle and max throttle means in the transmitter. When the ESC doesn't know where zero throttle is, it "hunts". This may or may not be your issue but all electric power systems on planes should have this done immediately after binding at least once.

Here's quick recap of how to do it ..............................
        Remove prop from plane for safety.
        Turn on transmitter to the right model.
        Deactivate Throttle Cut if set so throttle is "live".
        Move throttle stick to max (top).
        Plug in plane battery and listen for the initial tones.
        Immediately move throttle stick to bottom (zero). You should now here the remainder of the initialization tones that tells you how many cells in the battery you are using.

This should be done to ALL your planes once. If you didn't do it right or missed the first tones and didn't move the stick down in time, do it again. This should result in your throttle stick responding quickly when you start moving it. IE, the motor should start within a click or two.

Comment

Tried it like 10 times and still the same thing

Comment

I take it you did step 4 in the ESC instructions "reset to factory defaults"? Have you tried a different motor in that ESC? If a different motor does it, then it's likely a bad ESC or bad wiring or bad solder in the connector.

Comment

Maybe I’m not doing the reset correctly? When it gets to that point, do I move the throttle to zero or something else?

Comment

I tried to find the ESC manual online and picked up a computer virus so I won't be going there again. The photo you attached is insufficient and doesn't highlight how to enter programming mode. I'm going to take some guesses from this point on.
                Keep in mind that "resetting" of the ESC is a separate step from throttle calibration. Look at the stuff just above the photo you attached here. See how you enter programming mode? It has to do with throttle stick position when powering up the plane. You follow the manual to know when to move the throttle stick to another position to go into the next step of the programming. You should try the reset first (step 4 in the manual). Those slashes in the flow chart represents beep tones. Listen for the right one and then do what the manual says. Once you've accomplished the reset and exited the programming, power off the ESC. Then do the throttle calibration as the next phase of this procedure. Do what the manual says for this.

Comment

Hey I don’t what I did any differently, but it finally accepted the calibration and is now working like it is supposed to.

thanks for all your help

Comment

Good! These kinds of instructions are simple but you have to follow them precisely. Miss a step or misinterpret a tone and it won't work.

Comment

Working...
                    X