X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EC3 or EC5?

Hey there! I've just gotten my hands on three 3s 5000mAh lipo batteries and EC3 connectors. I guess I didn't think it through because the 8-awg wire on the batteries is too thick for soldering with the EC3 connectors I have. Though I found a way around it, it's a bit of a hassle.

Now, I've got a question: Should I switch to EC5 connectors for such large-capacity lipo batteries? I've seen this chart that says EC3 connectors support a continuous current of 60A, which should be right for my car even if I upgrade to a more powerful brushless system in the future. However, the thick 8-awg wire on the batteries makes me wonder if I'm missing something. For safety's sake, should I invest in some EC5 connectors, or can I just go ahead and attach this thick wire to the EC3 connectors and not worry about it?​

Originally posted by Gray View Post
    Hey there! I've just gotten my hands on three 3s 5000mAh lipo batteries and EC3 connectors. I guess I didn't think it through because the 8-awg wire on the batteries is too thick for soldering with the EC3 connectors I have. Though I found a way around it, it's a bit of a hassle. Now, I've got a question: Should I switch to EC5 connectors for such large-capacity lipo batteries? I've seen this chart that says EC3 connectors support a continuous current of 60A, which should be right for my car even if I upgrade to a more powerful brushless system in the future. However, the thick 8-awg wire on the batteries makes me wonder if I'm missing something. For safety's sake, should I invest in some EC5 connectors, or can I just go ahead and attach this thick wire to the EC3 connectors and not worry about it?​
    I think that the thick 8-awg wire on your batteries might make it difficult to solder with the EC3 connectors.

EC5 connectors are generally used for larger batteries, such as 6S or 8S LiPo batteries, and can handle higher currents than EC3 connectors 12. If you’re planning to use larger-capacity batteries in the future, then switching to EC5 connectors might be a good idea. However, if you’re only using 3S 5000mAh LiPo batteries, then EC3 connectors should be sufficient.​ Is it easy to understand? I'm not quite good to explain my thought.

Comment

Two issues:

1. Is it safe? The connector needed depends on the current it is required to pass, not on the battery capacity. Apparently an EC3 would be safe in your application.

2. Is it convenient? Soldering an EC3 onto 8 gauge wires will be a challenge. An EC5 wil be easier. That's a decision for you to make.

There are other connector types compaible with the EC series. I have found IC5 and SC5 easier to solder and they are compatible with EC5, for example.

Comment

Working...
      X