X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCARY LIPO FIRE!

I was out flying my wonderful seafury today. Noticed some strange twitching action going on shortly after take off so I landed her. Took lid off and lipo was smoking. As soon as I touched it to take it out it puffed and swelled on me. I have never had a lipo fire and this was scary as ****. I am ok and nothing other than the battery was lost. SCARY!

AMA 1102566

That was close! Glad it happened on the ground though and that nothing was damaged and you are ok. That is a scary failure though, and I would really like to know what caused it.. Normally a Lipo doesn't spontaneously combust. Maybe there was an internal short or something? Was there anything that could have caused a punctured cell? If it was an internal short, I would call Motion and tell them what happened, they should certainly be made aware of this!

Comment

Holy Crap! Glad you're OK. Any ideas on why it happened?

Comment

I have no idea what the cause was. These where bought for my seafury so I did not need to add weight to the nose. My first seafury died a mysterious death too. I charge them at 5 amps on a skyrc touch screen charger I also got from motion. That is powered by a e fuel psu I got from them as well. I have maybe 25 flights on the pack. After I make sure it is good and dead I will throw a DMM. I want to soak it in salt water though to make sure it is safe but no idea what I will find after that. Right now it is sitting in middle of my driveway in a pile of playground sand. The IR was always really low I checked every other flight between 2-4ohm on all the cells with a 10 amp load applied.

I drove back the 2 miles to my house from where I fly holding it out window by the balance lead after it stopped smoking. Luckily I had just changed my spark plugs in the truck early today so I had my fire resistant gloves with me to hold it.

I am very shaken and I Feel like I drank 3 pots of coffee.

The wing started to rock like there was a heavy wind and the gyro was over reacting. So it was oscillating.
        Likely from voltage spikes.
        AMA 1102566

Comment

Oh and Delta I had brought the F86 with but after the fire I just came home. lol did not want to maiden it with these nerves.
          AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
            Oh and Delta I had brought the F86 with but after the fire I just came home. lol did not want to maiden it with these nerves.
            That is certainly understandable!! Better to fly when you are confident for sure!

Comment

I put a ticket into motion about it. No idea what will come of it. 75 bucks goes poof! literally.
              AMA 1102566

Comment

I take it these were admerial batteries? what ma etc? ive never had any problems with any of mine but I know that this can happen to anyone....I know a boat racer that over charges his huperion batteries and has had several actually lipo fires...you hear a pop and then a firey battery comes flying out of a trailer lol toward the lake

Comment

They where and I was asked to remove the video which is fine. The only reason I put it on youtube was because the ticket system can only handle like 50 meg of data. It was a admerial 5000 battery. 4s charged always at 5 amps. It was scary a I have never had a fire even in all my years of 4x4 sct racing. I had plenty of Tekin rx8's go up though lol

Motion came through though so no issues there as expected. I am left trying to figure out how to dispose of this though.
                  AMA 1102566

Comment

As much as I like MRC, I have had poor service from the Admiral batteries bought from them. I also use the SKYRC charger and EFUEL power supply, purchased from MRC. I have had 2 4000mah 4S batteries fail ( but not catch fire) prematurely, as well as 2 5000mah 6S go bad as well. All were charged only at 1C, and stored at 3,8v when not used for a week or so. The 5000 6S were used in my FW ME262, and finished flight at temps around 120-130 degrees on my IR probe. In fairness, MRC did replace one of the 5000 6S fo me, but I have migrated to other batteries. Still buy everything else from MRC though, since their service can't be beat. If you have a BATTERIES PLUS store near you, they accept LIPOs for disposal in my area.

Comment

id call the batteries plus before you bring them by as the store near me doesent accept them any more

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                        They where and I was asked to remove the video which is fine. The only reason I put it on youtube was because the ticket system can only handle like 50 meg of data. It was a admerial 5000 battery. 4s charged always at 5 amps. It was scary a I have never had a fire even in all my years of 4x4 sct racing. I had plenty of Tekin rx8's go up though lol

Motion came through though so no issues there as expected. I am left trying to figure out how to dispose of this though.
                        What I do with my lipos is discharge them to zero using automotive light socket and pigtail that I soldered a battery connector to. Once the lightbulb goes out the battery is completely discharged and totally inert. I then took and cut the leads off and dispose of them. The Menards and Harbor Frieght Tools takes them by me.

Roy B.

Comment

Well um I am not going to be hooking anything up to something where 2 of the 4 cells lit on fire. I drove a nail through the remaining two and it is soaking in a pale of 35ppm of salt water from my reef tank.
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

Well it looks like you solved your problem.

Comment

http://www.4-max.co.uk/pdf/dispose-of-LiPo.pdf 5. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold water. And thoroughly mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Submerse the battery in the salt water. Leave it in the salty water solution for at least 2 weeks. 6. After 2 weeks remove the LiPo battery and wrap it in newspaper and place it in the household rubbish bin. They are landfill safe.

Comment

Yup that is basically what I did. I did a 10 gallon water change on my reef tank and dropped the battery in a 10 gallon pale with the old tank water.
                                AMA 1102566

Comment

Man that is frightening! Glad it wasn't a worse outcome. The only Li-Po fire I have had was due to a horrific nose-first impact into the ground at high speed. Our club had a fire extinguisher so I was able to put out the fire before it consumed the entire field (of very, very dry grass it was August when this happened). I can still smell that smell. Eeesh.

As for Admirals, I can honestly say that out of 20 or 30 I have bought through our company, only 2 had cell issues (showing a low cell count in a cell) and the rest have been rock solid. In fact, I have Admirals in my 83" balsa/composite P-38 Lightning which I won't tell you how much it cost me to build because if my wife finds this post she will change the locks, LOL!

In other words, I trust Admirals in my most expensive plane without fear or incident. And if you knew me personally, you would know I would be the first to admit if a product isn't very good, regardless of whether we sell it or not.
                                  My YouTube RC videos:
                                  https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

My recent experience with a 6 cell battery meltdown.
                                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                    My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                    X