Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lipo Battery Storage

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipo Battery Storage

I have been looking for a safe "Battery Bunker". There are homemade suggestions everywhere, some good. Containers are for sale, all too small for 30 or so lipos. But being lazy, and storing my lipos in the garage, I thought why not use a cheap charcoal grill? You can get a 22 x 22 inch 2 level grill on legs for 30 bucks at the big stores. I plan to put some kind of fire retardant material on the inside bottom and leave the top vents open with a fire alarm nearby. I would appreciate any suggestions about what to use for the fire retardant material and thoughts on this idea.

A layer of sand would probably be the easiest material to use; it isn't flammable, and tolerates high temperatures well. Also, make sure that anything above the storage is well enough away, as the flames can be impressive; maybe shorten the legs, to get it near the floor.

Comment

Thanks WintrSol. Good ideas.

Comment

Ammo can that you can get at walmart for $13:00 is what I use. :)
        AMA 424553

Comment

Ammo cans can be great storage, if you add a blow-out vent, and don't put them near flammables, as a burring battery can melt the metal shell of the can.

Comment

Keep in mind that the Ammo cans do not contain the fire. It will come out under pressure as it would in most any box.
            Must be vented. Even if you remove the seal the Ammo Can can lift off into the air when the pressure is released. My Ammo can has holes on the top lid preventing this.

Comment

5 year old thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                5 year old thread!
                Nostalgia!

Comment

To be fair 99% of the forum is 5+ year old threads that are still on the first page.

Comment

I think you’re math needs work.

Comment

"New" math??

Comment

I like the new avatar!

Comment

Hehe! It's actually a very old avatar. It came from a gif used in an online Sony spoof. It's my very first one going back to 1999 when I first joined car forums. Although I haven't been involved for years, that avatar still exists in those forums. It made people think I was young and innocent.

Comment

The age of this thread doesn't matter one bit. What Avatar has to do with it is beyond me.

I keep my batteries outside 24/7 and I don't have problems with temperatures because I live in South Florida with the temperature ranges from the rare 40s to the '90s year-round with average temperatures in the 60s and '80s in the shade. I know some of you don't have these conditions but you can always make them that way. Some people put their lipos in refrigerators which I don't think is necessary unless you live in the desert average temperatures of hundred and 20 plus degree temperatures. There is an expense associated with that. Much easier to heat.

LIPOs can withstand cold temperatures, just don't use or charge them when they're cold and can withstand heat up to +120°f comfortably. It is at 155° or higher that LiPO batteries may ignite. So do not keep your lipos in your hot vehicle.

FYI
                            LiPO batteries can ignite at any temperature at any state of charge for no apparent reason. However at storage charge they are most likely not to do so. No guarantees.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan 3D View Post
                              The age of this thread doesn't matter one bit. What Avatar has to do with it is beyond me.
                              Deleted, along with unsubscribing. Just not worth the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan 3D View Post

I keep my batteries outside 24/7 and I don't have problems with temperatures because I live in South Florida with the temperature ranges from the rare 40s to the '90s year-round with average temperatures in the 60s and '80s in the shade. I know some of you don't have these conditions but you can always make them that way. Some people put their lipos in refrigerators which I don't think is necessary unless you live in the desert average temperatures of hundred and 20 plus degree temperatures. There is an expense associated with that. Much easier to heat.

LIPOs can withstand cold temperatures, just don't use or charge them when they're cold and can withstand heat up to +120°f comfortably. It is at 155° or higher that LiPO batteries may ignite. So do not keep your lipos in your hot vehicle.

FYI
                                LiPO batteries can ignite at any temperature at any state of charge for no apparent reason. However at storage charge they are most likely not to do so. No guarantees.
                                But is it not better to get storage for your batteries to be safe? I get your point totally but I would rather be safe than sorry.
                                Source: https://storageboxdirect.co.uk/shop/...r-plastic-box/

Comment

Yeah it's interesting that people don't have the time to be safe. Some people don't have enough time for anything because they're dead. And yes some people have died from lipo fires.

Two guys I fly with had lipo fires in their home. The last place you would want it. Otherwise were pissed.

One incident happened at 1:30 a.m. on the 9th floor of a 33 story building where is four lipos went up in flames and smoke in their home. Lucky for them the smoke alarm woke the family up. Doesn't always happen that way, sometimes they never wake up. The place stunk for months and they moved 10 months later so I don't know if the smell actually went away.

The other guy decided to charge his batteries and then go for a walk, really dumb idea. His wife had to deal with the fire and yes there was damage. The smoke is bad enough but scorched walls and damaged equipment, not good.

Very very unhappy wives.

Comment

The danger of lipos is the market flooded with cheap junk chargers that burn up a battery.

Comment

Working...
                                    X