You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner's guide to the Taranis QX7/Q7S?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner's guide to the Taranis QX7/Q7S?

Just got back into the hobby after a 20-year hiatus now that I've got a little one fascinated by airplanes. Trainer worked out just fine, so it was time to move up in the world. I picked up one of the 1450mm FMS P51s, and after looking at the available options figured the Taranis QX7S fit the bill.

I know, I know, the scuttlebutt is that the Frsky units are hard on beginners. But the functionality-per-dollar factor got to me, and I figured, hey -- I've built my own water-cooled computers, these complaints are only from guys who don't know their way around a command line.

Boy, was I wrong. Only half the complexity of working with the Taranis is a result of the openness of an open-source firmware that allows tremendous flexibility to those who can handle it. The other half owes to stupid design decisions and a complete lack of documentation. For example, I'm trying to set SA to be a 2-position switch controlling the gear, so I open up the menu, go to input 5 (which I assume, I think correctly, that this correlates with channel 5) and look around. One of the first menu options is "input," which logically has to refer to a logical input on the RX...right? Except it doesn't. You can write in whatever you want, just as if you were naming the input for your own convenience. WTF. Why doesn't "input" refer to the "inputs" on the RX?

Long story short, I can't get the goddamn thing working, and as someone who has just-this-side-of-zero free time, this is killing my soul. Does someone have an up-to-date user's guide? The only one I've found dates back to the dark days of the X9. Or should I just give the $!^&&* up and get a Spectrum?

-jhm-

Hi JHM,

Welcome back to the hobby and to HobbySquawk. The many menu driven type radio systems on the market may at times be easier to program with their set path ways to get from point A to point B (can be a plus for beginners or people getting back into the hobby from a long break). This can potentially come at a cost of less flexibility. With the added flexibility of an open source firmware like OpenTX 2.2 that comes standard on the QX7(S) that isn’t familiar looking as a menu type system, that can be more of a challenge to digest at first. However, there are some great videos, articles, and forum threads (RCgroups has many threads I can send you a link to if you’re interested) regarding the programming of OpenTX. This will provide a great deal of understanding and lessen any potential frustration that can occur with learning a new system, or a system with great flexibility and freedom to program how you would like. A company that I have always been impressed with for not only supporting the FrSky line of radios, but also for supporting their customers with understanding FrSky radio programming is Aloft Hobbies. They currently sell a manual for the Taranis Plus and the Taranis QX7(S) that should help get you going in the correct direction win your programming. Once a person understands the logic behind the programming, it becomes much more simple. Below is a link to the QX7(S) manual that Aloft sells.

https://alofthobbies.com/taranis-q-x...er-manual.html

As you know, radio choice is very subjective as there are many variables to think of prior to purchasing such as ergonomics of the radio design, quality, weight, number of possible channels, programming, battery life, screen layout, price, ease of programming, expandability, etc. There isn’t one radio that will be perfect for all or one that may have absolutely all variables checked off on a persons must-have list. The good thing is that you did pick a radio of great value and can still serve well in the future when using complex aircraft. It may be worth it to continue researching, learning, and being patient with the radio and it’s programming. With so much information online regarding programming of the FrSky line of radios, thankfully this information is readily available. On the flip side, I know you stated that you don’t have much free time. So, if it becomes too time consuming to research the methodology of programming this radio, it may not be worth the effort to continue using the radio. If you can find a Transmitter that still has the flexibility you want/need either now and/or into the future, yet allow for more streamlined programming with less learning curve, then that may be the best way to go.

Comment

T-Cat, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the user manual from Aloft -- also the retailer I got the Tx from!

Comment

Aloft is great! They can also be a great help for programming. Also, check out the many forums on RCgroups as well regarding programming. Of course, we can help here too :).

Comment

Also jhmiller42, the Taranis X9D+ has been around awhile and the QX7 uses the same software. So while there may not be as much info for the QX7, search for the X9D and you should be able to find out everything you need that way.

Comment

Working...
          X