X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo horn spline indexing

Recently on my F-104 90mm, I had one aileron horn that was not 90 deg at center. This caused asymetrical throw on that aileron.

I changed the horn to an identical one from another freewing servo. And it lined up perfectly.

Apparently the horns are not all indexed the same.
    Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Did you actually compare the two horns? A horn is mass produced in molds by part numbers.
    I would suspect an incorrect part number horn or I have also seen the same symptoms occur on the gear shaft of the servo too whereas the internal gearing wasn't set accurately.
    An analogy is like if a mechanic has to change a serpentine(timing) belt on dual overhead cam motor and has one of the many gears off by a tooth, well the engine don't like that ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The best i can figure is that there are an odd number of teeth on the servo output. When you flip the sevo over, as in an aileron application, then the indexing wont work. They must mold horns in two different indices.

i dont know. But my only other choice, since i am using the gyro, is to go in and move the gears a tooth over. But the other horn worked.

Comment

Both servos center well and have the same movement.

Comment

Just took off the horn to compare with others. No difference in markings.

I think that maybe when they cut the splines, the horn can rotate a little and cause the indexing to be off a spline or so. That's my theory

Comment

Working...
          X