X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailed cockpits

I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a kit for building a detailed cockpit for the FMS 1400mm Mustangs?
    I've been considering building one from scratch as a winter project, but if there is some type of kit out there that would be a great starting place, anything??

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

RE: Detailed cockpits

So, no bites, so I took matters into my own hands and got a little creative.  I took some bits and pieces of plastic from picture frame kits and odds and sods that the wife has collected and formed my own guns sight with references from some of the books I have laying around.  Turned out great, so I installed a wooden floor with the aluminum slides on either side and a lower control panel that fits below the instrument panel.  Then, using some tubing, zip ties and tongue depressor sticks, I built a throttle quadrant and a canopy hand crank.  Looks pretty good for a first timer.  Plus a little green and silver paint to make the interior look authentic and dress up the radio and it looks pretty darned good.  I'll try to get some pics but frankly, we were at Wings and Wheels today and it was 94 degrees, HOT!! just relaxing now, I'll get to it

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
      So, no bites, so I took matters into my own hands and got a little creative.  I took some bits and pieces of plastic from picture frame kits and odds and sods that the wife has collected and formed my own guns sight with references from some of the books I have laying around.  Turned out great, so I installed a wooden floor with the aluminum slides on either side and a lower control panel that fits below the instrument panel.  Then, using some tubing, zip ties and tongue depressor sticks, I built a throttle quadrant and a canopy hand crank.  Looks pretty good for a first timer.  Plus a little green and silver paint to make the interior look authentic and dress up the radio and it looks pretty darned good.  I'll try to get some pics but frankly, we were at Wings and Wheels today and it was 94 degrees, HOT!! just relaxing now, I'll get to it

Grossman56
      Where are the pictures.   This is what I call creativity at its best.  Would love to see some pics.

Comment

Morning all, just got back from checking out the field, the wind is up and its a cool breeze which is nice after yesterday at 94, whew!!
        Anyway, got some pics of the cockpit details in BBD.  Now, realize that all I used is some rubber tubing, some zip ties, some tongue depressors, paint, some plastic bits the wife has collected, I think they were from a picture frame kit and a bit of aluminum tape.

Shorty's upper torso is going to disappear when the new pilot gets here and I get him painted
        http://www.acesofiron.com/page/AOIW2P51.htm
        and I'm thinking of making some imitation side panels on some cardboard as there isn't enough room to make them as wide as they would be in the real thing.

Grossman56
        Attached Files
        Team Gross!

Comment

WOW! What a fantastic job!

Comment

Hey, thanks Pheonix, amazing what you can do when you go into McGyver mode

Grossman56
            Team Gross!

Comment

Looks good G man it's fun to see the modeler come out.

Comment

Thanks Farm, its a lot of fun as well.  I want to get a joystick for him as well once I've got the pilot all sorted out.  The figure shipped on Friday, so it should be here next week.  Have to go to Billings on Monday and then I've got Friday off as well, we're heading for Yellowstone for the weekend for my B'day.  Turning 62 so I can get my $10 park pass that's good for life and in any National Park, such a deal!

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some flying jammed in here somewhere, even if I have to go next Friday in the AM before heading out.  We're going to camp at Pahaska which is just outside the East gate which is about an hour and a half away from home at the most.  So cool being that close to the first National Park

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Nice job G Man! 

Just goes to show you what a little creativity can do for you.

Roy B.

Comment

That looks GREAT Gman!!

Comment

Nice Grossman! Awesome job!
                      Still Learning:D

Comment

Thanks Pauly, I now have the new pilot in her as well.  I went for broke and upgraded the motor to the 580 kv and threw in the zip tie mod to the blades.  You want to see a Mustang move out!!  Now I can do huge loops with no trouble.
                        Also did the same mod (zip tie/stock 540kv motor) to the P51B and dang she's fast too, a noticeable improvement.  The funny thing is that landing the D model is one thing, but the B model is so slippery.  I had full flaps and one click of throttle and not a lot of altitude when coming out of my turn to final.  She just doesn't slow down!  Oh for a head wind!
                        Curious how one can perform differently.  All three have their own thing.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56
                          Thanks Pauly, I now have the new pilot in her as well.  I went for broke and upgraded the motor to the 580 kv and threw in the zip tie mod to the blades.  You want to see a Mustang move out!!  Now I can do huge loops with no trouble.
                          Also did the same mod (zip tie/stock 540kv motor) to the P51B and dang she's fast too, a noticeable improvement.  The funny thing is that landing the D model is one thing, but the B model is so slippery.  I had full flaps and one click of throttle and not a lot of altitude when coming out of my turn to final.  She just doesn't slow down!  Oh for a head wind!
                          Curious how one can perform differently.  All three have their own thing.

Grossman56
                          Great work and it's always fun and interesting to read your posts. Seems like you're having a great time and, to me, that's what it's all about. Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

Steve
                          AMA 95495
                          Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                          Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

Thanks Steve!  Off to Cowley this morning with the Pitts and Old Crow.  Yes, I actually managed to get Old Crow into the back of my Crew Cab!  She has the same wingspan as the Pandora and I got thinking last night and wondering if I could wiggle her in.  Sure enough, I retracted the gear and she slid in pretty as you please.
                            So now I can take two of the 'big' birds!
                            Its just after 7am here and the day is shaping up to be great.  About an hour to Cowley, but its the perfect place to nail down takeoffs and landings.  I readjusted the gyro in the Pitts so I'm anxious to see if I've got it right this time. At least this time I can adjust it at the field as last time I didn't have the light sequence in my old brain, 2=Ailerons,3=Elevator, 4=Rudder.
                            Both these planes are excellent flyers and with the gyro on the Pitts I'm expecting greatness!
                            I chuckled when I read a review on the Freewing P51 where the guy only gave it 4 stars because he couldn't get it to steer right!  I wonder if he knows about high, mid and low rates, not to mention setting the wheel to steer straight in the first place?!  Anyway, I've got my throttle advancement down pretty well now.  No matter what plane I'm flying, I give her three clicks of throttle at a one, two three speed, get her rolling and correct steering, then another three clicks, this gets me over half throttle  and in a tail up position and I can track down the runway, if needed, a couple more clicks will get her into the air, depending on the plane.  Then I'll go close to if not full throttle (again, depending on the plane) and track down the runway in a gradual climb, gaining speed and altitude, bank her over and bring her down the base leg at half throttle and trim her up, then we're good to go.  The trick is in that throttle advancement.  Nothing prettier than a scale like takeoff and a great way to start a flight. 

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

Looks great Grossman! I am trying some detail on it's smaller brother. The 800mm.

Comment

Working...
                              X