X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freewing electric retracts

Just wondering how many fliers of Freewing jets may have problems with the retracts. I've gone through so many of these things that never left the house that it's crazy. I have no problem with the retracts in my earlier Freewing jets, but it appears that the newer, and some earlier spare parts units, fail either out of the box or display a VERY short lifetime (like minutes). This problem has exhibited itself using a standard servo tester powered by a 5 amp ESC and 3S2200 battery. Nothing tricky, just a basic power supply and controller. Testing using a receiver as the driving signal had no different results.

Speaking to Motion people, who appear to be quite concerned about the issue reported by others than myself and can't be blamed for this; apparently I'm far from alone with this issue.

Not casting blame but it seems to me that Freewing (or their suppliers) need to take care of this. Doing some basic research I believe that all these units (name the brand) probably come from the same factory.

Personally, I have a couple of new purchases that haven't flown yet that I'll be replacing with air retracts...tired of replacing defective parts with defective parts and don't look forward to having a gear problem with a $500+ air frame and associated parts. Actually, another retract failed in one of these planes after cycling it a few times giving it several seconds between cycles. >sigh<

So it goes.....

Comment

I have not had any problems with mine. Certainly nothing like you are describing. Which planes are you having the failures in?

Comment

I've never had a Freewing retract failure (other than bad landings), I would be getting a few servo checker...I had one go bad and killed a couple servos before I figured out what was going on.
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I bought my Freewing 64mm A-10 a couple of months ago, and in the build process, have cycled the landing gear numerous times with no issues. Mine have always been through the receiver, powered by a 4S 3000 mAh battery.

Comment

My earlier Freewing jets (two SU-35's, two MiG 21's, 90mmT-45, 90mm F104, 70mm F104, Avanti, 80mm A10) haven't had problems yet. I haven't had an issue yet with my 2000 Mirage but it hasn't flown, neither has my 70mm F16. which had one main retract fail. It should be clear that I've been told about issues with Freewing retracts in some batches and Motion (Derek) has worked with me to solve these issues. I'm not happy with Freewing parts but Motion has gone overboard with their always excellent customer service.

PS, I've used several different servo testers and receivers and the testers and receiver(s) are all fine.

Comment

I hear ya, new 70mm yak 2 retracts didn't work out of box, Motion sent me 2 more(Awesome Thank you) but only one of those worked. I gave up,trying to source somethiong different. I wonder if the retracts from the 70mm YAK from FMS would fit? Anyone try these?

Comment

Working...
              X