X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acrylic Polyurethane Primers

I'd like to share a tip I've been using when painting both bare foam and painting over factory painted foam. We're probably all familiar with the water based polyurethane products such as Minwax Polycrylic and Varathane. These are durable clear coatings that add a bit of extra protection to foam finishes, help seal decals, provide a wipeable surface, etc.

In a similar way, I've been using Vallejo's "Surface Primer Acrylic Polyurethane" and Ammo-by-Mig's "One Shot Primer". Both of these products can be applied with a hand brush or an airbrush, and I've found the resulting coating to be very durable as a basecoat. What's best is that Vallejo's product is fairly inexpensive and comes in lots of different colors. To me, this is advantageous because I can, for example, undershade the panel lines with a brown primer directly over a factory painted gray airplane, and then build up that base coat to other colors. It isn't just another coat of paint, but rather an actual polyurethane primer that helps the topcoats of color "bite". If any of you are in the market for a colored primer that incorporates some of the same benefits as the clear polyurethanes, I'd recommend exploring either of these products.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Vallejo Surface Primer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	13.8 KB ID:	155703Click image for larger version  Name:	Ammo by Mig One Shot Primer.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.6 KB ID:	155704

Painting session from yesterday...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181010_102617.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	155705
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes
Working...
X