X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Accident

On August 31, 1916, while flying at my fav spot I was suddenly and totally reminded what the consequences are for not staying focused and concentrated with what you are doing. I installed the 6s lipo in my 1400 Hellcat and wanting to start the takeoff roll 10 yards away, I picked up the bird cradeling it in my right arm with the propellor facing me. What happened next took only seconds but will stay with me my entire life. When I picked up both the bird and Spektrum 9 and assuming the throttle safety was on, I bumped the Tx throttle control to or neat wot. In the time it takes for this to register to my brain I let go and the bird fell to the ground. Knowing I just inflicted some injury to my arm, I looked at it and saw a giant and deep gash to the inside of my arm at the elbow. Instantly I knew this was really bad since I could see blood forcefully streaming out. I had severed my artery, cut the muscle and nerves. Only then I also was aware of my other oversight, I was flying alone on a cul de sac to new construction with no one around. I franticly thought I had to either use my cellphone or walk out approx. 1/4 mile to the main street to flag down help. With my left hand acting as pressure bandage over the wound and not being able to stop the flow of blood due to its size, I knew I could not free the hand to use the phone, so I started to walk the 1/4 mile. Now that the in itial shock was over, I became aware that my life literally depended on me summoning help, and consciously began to slow my breathing and not panic and hoping I would not pass out before. I reached the end of the street and was waving my arm, which now along with the front of me was covered with blood. The second vehicle stopped and yelled for him to call 911 and to find a turniquit. I knew then that I has a chance, and proceeded to lay down on some grass and elevate my arm to mitigate bleeding.

The paramedics arrived amd proceeded to do their thing. The said I was going UC Davis Med Center, and knew it had to be bad since they were the foremost level 1 trauma center and only the badly injured would go. My mind was in a fog the whole way but remembered the whole way they were attemting to start an IV but could not find a vein due to my low blood pressure. Wheeled into the ER an army of professionals began assessing and working on me, and an oxygen mask was placed over face then lights out.

After 3 1/2 hours of surgery involving 3 different surgeons, I awoke in the ICU and learned that I needed to have a 3" section of artery grafted since it was pretty much mutilated. 31/2 days in the ICU while the surgeons were monitoring adequate blood flow in my arm and hand. One of my vascular surgeons who was also an avid rc pilot noted to me that he only flew electric and not gas, and explained to him the accident was from an electric 6s setup turning a 17" blade, he was pretty surprised. The doctors explained to me the importance of monitoring proper circulation in the hand and arm, and immediately come back to the ER if anything happens, then proceeded to release me after 5 days.

It wasnt until the second night that I truly thought of the consequences of what happened. The doctors instructions were imprinted in my mind, and sometime in the middle of the night I woke up and noticed my arm and hand was completely numb. I jumped out of bed and was ready to go to the ER when coming down the stairs I started noticing a tingling in my hand, and greatfully acknowledged my arm and hand just fell asleep. It was that occurrence that I truly knew the depth of possibilites of becoming disabled, and thinking what like would be like without the use of my arm and hand.

I write this in hopes of enlightening oithers in this hobby we love will take adequate precautions and practice accepted methods in handling our birds. In retrospect I had learned some very bad and dangerous habits and only now have taken a full recourse in learning pre-emptive handling techniques. I got back to the filed a couple weeks after, and while having full use of my arm and hands will likey have numbness from my elbow to the wrist forever. I saved the old broken prop to that Hellcat and plaqued it to the hanger refer. noting that date. IF YOU HAVE A THROTTLE SAFETY SWITCH ON YOUR RADIO, USE IT AND CONFIRM IT IS IN USE AND PRACTICE SAFETY TECHNIQUES so we can enjoy our hobby forever.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and i'm thankful you have had a good recovery. In just a split second, things can go bad. It's 22 months now for me, that i tangled with my electric bird and prop. Your story brings back memories of that day. Check, check, and recheck. Safety first!!
    Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

CT, thanks for sharing your story with us. It takes a lot of guts to stand up recount all of that. We must all have these types of events in the forefront of our minds when handling our birds. Safety must always be paramount. I'm truly happy that you are recovering well and can still enjoy the hobby.

Be Safe Everyone.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your accident with us. Wish you a speedy full recovery and many enjoyable hours of flying in the years to come.

In an instant, life can be changed!
        Jimmy

I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.  :)

Death is the number one killer in the world.

Comment

Hey CT!

Hope your doing well and thanks for sharing. I can't say enough about safety and developing a good mental checklist.

Roy B.

Comment

Glad you were able to get thru all that and Thanks for sharing. I always make it a point when I am helping someone on the phone to first ask them if they have removed the prop and surprisingly many ask me why and I then share stories such as yours.

Comment

This sends shivers up my spine (and I was a firefighter). These recounts of such incidents helps us all to remember how little it takes to have bad things happen. Glad you came through it OK.

Comment

When I first started reading CT's encounter I thought it was going to be a little tale of fiction for our enjoyment at first because of the 1916 date, that is until the second sentence when I read about a 6S lipo and then I said to myself oh no. Your very last sentence CT says it all.
                There are members in my club that still perceive that safety is all about electronics failure but in reality it truly is about a lack of disciplines for safety protocols. I have yet to see or hear of a personal injury caused by an ESC gone haywire but time and time again inadvertent transmitter throttle stick activation is the number one cause.
                Glad that CT can continue on with this sport along with a war story that he can share with others to propagate awareness of sound safety practices.
                Best regards,
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hey CT,
                  Another thanks for sharing some insight into what can become a gruesome encounter with a prop, no matter what powers it. At our club field, we've also had several similar mishaps. I have a very simple technique that I've used for over 20yrs now that some of the other club members have adopted & were glad they did. I always use a neckstrap & know that a Tx can swing around when bending down to pick up a plane or disconnect the battery. That is usually the greatest chance that the throttle can be engaged if not being very careful & having the Tx swing back into your body & push the throttle to full. As soon as I have landed & taxied back, I engage the rubber band. If I have to go onto the field to retrieve the plane, I immediately engage the rubber band. Again, quite simple & works. Here's a couple pics....hope it may help the forum members here.

Denny
                  *** \"A man\'s word is his honor....without honor there is nothing.\" ***
                  *** I have no hesitation to kill nor reservation to die for the Flag & Constitution of the USA. ***

Comment

CT, glad to hear you're on the mend, but what a terrible thing to have to go through. Denny, I'm going to adopt your idea to my radio as well. Even though I have a switch dedicated to throttle kill, I had an incident, thankfully with no physical injuries, just my pride I guess.
                    I usually pack two planes to the field to fly, one goes into the back seat and one in the box of the truck. Lately, I've been taking the Bearcat and one of the 1400 mm birds. The Bearcat, being smaller and therefore easier to fit, went in the back seat. This time, however, I thought I'd fold the L/G to make it even easier, so I did so, disconnected the battery and loaded it into the car. At the field, I unloaded, activated the radio, made sure the kill switch was active. All the things I should do to ensure safety, mentally patting myself on the back for being safe.
                    After a great day of flying, I packed up and folded the gear again before placing her in the back seat. Twice, very safe, and conscientious. While driving home, my mind is filled with great memories of the successful flight as I'm sure we can all relate.
                    Get home and unload, take the radio out and turn it on and plug in the battery to lower the L/G. Bumped the throttle one click, whirrrrr!!!!
                    The kill switch was not activated as sometimes happens when I out the radio in the case. know this can happen and am usually very careful to run through the sequence to be safe. This time, I had my hand full of airplane, and grabbed the radio with the other hand and didn't check. That prop probably missed doing the same thing to my arm by scant inches. Scared the crap out of me.
                    Silly mistake!! I've lectured here on the Squawk on check check check and safety first and here I am being beaten out by a basic Murph's law that we all deal with, get in front of that Attila the Hun sword of a prop and suffer the consequences ....

I'll also be the first to admit that when Denny brought up the elastic band method, though to myself, I don't need that , I have a kill switch.
                    Denny, let me be humble and say sorry for not heeding your advice, I got away with murder here and we all don't get away with things so easily as CT and Lon can attest. I am hooking up an elastic band and doing exactly as you suggest, kill switch or not. I got the hint, thanks again

Grossman56
                    Team Gross!

Comment

CT, I'm glad you're on the mend, and thank you for your poignant warning. I program throttle cut on all my models, as the first thing I do on the radio before anything else. Verbally announcing "Throttle Lock is On", "Throttle Lock is Off" and similar statements to myself and those around me help keep us all aware of what's going on.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                        Verbally announcing "Throttle Lock is On", "Throttle Lock is Off" and similar statements to myself and those around me help keep us all aware of what's going on.
                        I have 'Bitchin Betty' on the DX9 announcing both those statements every time my designated throttle lock switch is engaged.
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

So happy that you are fine now. I had a similar accident but without the injury. I accidentally hit the throttle one day and the plane took of of course. No one was close by. Thank God for the little ditch. I lost the plane but it could have been much worse. I use a throttle kill and the rubber band method now. God bless for a speedy recovery. Safety first always.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

I have 'Bitchin Betty' on the DX9 announcing both those statements every time my designated throttle lock switch is engaged.
                            I have a DX8 - G2. How do you get it to do that? At what point does it announce it? As soon as you turn the TX on?

Comment

Hello CT,

Thank you for relating the incident with everyone, and I'm pleased you are on the mend. I can tell so many stories and incidents involving rotating propellers. Reading about someone else's experience is a wakeup call not to become over confident and complacent with propellers and motors. Whenever you are working on a motor or making any sort of adjustment, always remove the prop.

If you are running the motor with the prop on. ALWAYS have someone else hold the model and have everyone else who may be watch stand behind the model. If a high speed rotating prop should come off a motor it will always fly forward. Remember it is a screw and as such it will move forward.

Another point to be careful of, is your TX neck-strap if you use one. It may be caught around the throttle lever of the TX and if you pick up your TX by the neck-strap it will open the throttle and again another accident.

Rotating propellers do not differentiate between skin and bone, they keep going.

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper2 View Post
                                I have a DX8 - G2. How do you get it to do that? At what point does it announce it? As soon as you turn the TX on?
                                XV..........it is done in the similar manner that you would assign voice commands for gear up/down or landing/take off flaps etcetera and so on.
                                Anytime that you have a voice command assigned to a switch when you first turn the Tx on it will announce the present position of those assigned switches and at any time that you change any switch position that has a voice assignment while the Tx is on. Voices are accessed and configured via 'System Sounds' under 'System Settings'.
                                That's about the best I can direct you without actually copy n paste the manual..........not:p
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

After a couple of incidents, thankfully without any bad consequences, where I had the TX swinging from the strap around my neck and accidentally hit the throttle while carrying a plane, I now make it a practice to disconnect the strap from the TX and set the TX down on a flight stand before I pick up the plane or heli. I can't accidentally hit the throttle or turn off the kill switch if the TX is somewhere else.

Recently started flying nitro's and now I have to retrain myself so that I remove the strap from my neck before I start the prop. Have this horrible vision of the engine starting, the strap getting caught in the prop and my head being pulled into it before I can react.

Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Hello Jackcutrone

​​​​​​
                                    "Recently started flying nitro's and now I have to retrain myself so that I remove the strap from my neck before I start the prop. Have this horrible vision of the engine starting, the strap getting caught in the prop and my head being pulled into it before I can react."

What you suggest above I've known happen. Never have TX neck straps or loose clothing anywhere near rotating propellers.

Martin

Comment

Comment

Good info in that booklet dww
                                        Aeromaster 35% Extra 260 (under construction), Hanger 9 40 size P51, SIG Somethin' Extra, Hanger 9 40 size Super Stick, Eflite F4U-1A Corsair, Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54, Freewing Panther F9F, 1/5 scale Piper L4 (in box), Addiction XL (in box), Parkzone Super Cub, Eflite UM's F-16, P51, Revolution & Spitfire, Durafly Das Ugly Stick, Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak & Mini Crack Yak, Align T-Rex 600, Motion RC Avanti (under construction)

Comment

Working...
                                        X