Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey CT,
    Another thanks for sharing some insight into what can become a gruesome encounter with a prop, no matter what powers it. At our club field, we've also had several similar mishaps. I have a very simple technique that I've used for over 20yrs now that some of the other club members have adopted & were glad they did. I always use a neckstrap & know that a Tx can swing around when bending down to pick up a plane or disconnect the battery. That is usually the greatest chance that the throttle can be engaged if not being very careful & having the Tx swing back into your body & push the throttle to full. As soon as I have landed & taxied back, I engage the rubber band. If I have to go onto the field to retrieve the plane, I immediately engage the rubber band. Again, quite simple & works. Here's a couple pics....hope it may help the forum members here.

Denny
    Yorkie, that is a simple yet awesome setup that can save us all! Thank You for sharing it with us.
    Still Learning:D

Comment

We all sometime get in hurry and ready to get airborn as quick as possible and things like this can hurt us all. We've all been guilty of it. It may not of got us like CT, but there are many things that we all have done whether it involves flying or not. We just need to take the time and slow down and think before we act. That being said we need to remember when we get on the highway going to the flying field and home. CT I'm glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and Happy Flying to you.
      Still Learning:D

Comment

Thanks guys, Its funny but being a hardcore flyer,one week afer the incident I took my cub to the local middle school to see if I could fly with my arm in a splint. The splint was elongated through my palm which hampered use, so I went home and used my dremel to saw off this part and proceeded to return to the filed. While flying a young guy came onto the filed and introduced himself as John, one of the paramedics who was at the scene, and was curious to see if it was me flying. Needless to say I was floored by this and thanked him profusely. He stated that they normally do not see the results of their patients from being first responders, and was pretty amazed I was back flying, a couple weeks later I brought a couple pizzas to the whole firehouse but unfortunatley John was not there. Everything is good now but the effect of any traumatic event is burned into my head. I now will not stand, kneel in front of any hot plane for any reason, and even when anywhere near a propellor I get instant flashbacks. Needless to say i have grown my fleet of jets since then!!!

Comment

Well, thank God for people like that being around for when the do do hits the fan. Maybe get the Firehouse crowd into R/C flying!

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
          X