X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you set up your switches?

Just curious as I'm sure everyone has a preference. Just thought I would hear out some logic based on preference. I have a Spektrum DX8 (still growing into it) and am playing with where to have the gear, flaps, rates, throttle cut, etc. As of now I've switched the gear to my B switch (default), and rates to the A switch. Flaps are above the throttle stick. I know you're able to program separate rates between rudder/elevator/aileron, but will essentially start out with general rates for ail/ele. I'd imagine this question is far too open ended, but wanted to get some more info from you all in order to set up a foundation. Thanks everyone.

Certain switch functions are by default but can be changed by the end user. Gear is usually on switch A by default (not switch B, but no matter, it's what you like, but it's a waste of a 3-way switch for later when you need it for something. eg- AUX2), flap (or AUX1) on switch D, rotary dial is for AUX3. I personally select switch H for throttle cut. Switch B is another 3-way that can be used at the user's discretion. The bind button is for bind but can be programmed for a momentary activation or de-activation of something. Switches C, F, G are my "rates" switches --- C for ELE, F for AIL and G for RUDD. If you put all your rates to one switch, you cannot select individual rates for each control surface. IE, if you find ELE to need a higher and lower rate, by having all of them on one switch, then all control surfaces will be changed at the same time. Some don't mind this. I prefer individual control. You want to get used to where all the switches are that you use regularly so you don't have to look down to find them.

Comment

I figured once I'm more experienced and can actually learn to identify single areas of improvement, I will begin to separate settings between the surfaces. For now I figured I'd keep things generic which may be best with the newb/trainers. My fear is that I forget what switches do what and I end up forgetting, or aimlessly switching for a desired control.

Comment

On Spektrum radios I use the following.

A Gear (Switch up is gear up)
        B Flaps (Switch up is flaps up)
        C Aileron rates (Switch up is low rate)
        D Elevator rates (Switch up is low rate)
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I try to keep to the Default Settings for switches and I use one switch for Flight Modes even though you can put each control surface on their own switch. Too confusing for me that way.
          Switch A = Retracts
          Switch B = Flight Modes
          Switch D = Flaps
          Switch G = Throttle Cut
          I keep the throttle cut on the same switch as I also fly Helis and that's where I have always put it. I try to use the same switches for the same functions all the time which works 99% of the time.

Comment

Out of curiosity regarding your individual rates switches. Do you have expo programmed for each of these rates as well? I'm thinking low rates is something like 30%, mids are 15%, highs at 0? I would imagine as you get dialed in, these numbers change for each plane. Just waned a little more clarity here, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
              Out of curiosity regarding your individual rates switches. Do you have expo programmed for each of these rates as well? I'm thinking low rates is something like 30%, mids are 15%, highs at 0? I would imagine as you get dialed in, these numbers change for each plane. Just waned a little more clarity here, thanks!
              My expo is opposite to yours. High rates tend to be more sensitive for more of the stick throw, so I dial in my largest expo there. Low rates, I have less expo. To each their own. It's whatever feels good for you. Just don't make the mistake of dialing in negative expo (Spektrum) like a friend of mine did when he first started. He crashed every flight till he figured out what the mistake was.

Comment

Sad to laugh but yes, I double checked this when I first set up expo. I could see how a beginner wouldn't realize neg vs. pos expo and get into trouble.
                I wonder then, if I should consider reversing my expo settings to replicate what you mentioned, makes more sense as a low rate plane with tons of expo would be tough to move. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Expo is a matter of personal taste. You need to try it out both ways and see which one allows you to fly the smoothest and with more confidence. Some people hate expo and won't use it at all, while some will go as high as 100% on all rates. When you're first starting out, try something like 25% to 50% across the board and adjust as your experience increases. Rudder expo may be the least important (in the air) in the beginning except for when you're trying to drive the thing on the ground. Then it looks like you're driving an RC truck (darting left and right) if rates too high and expo too low. Elevator and aileron are more important as those will make it twitch to where you lose orientation quickly.

Comment

100% expo! Who would ever use that much? That would be extremely mushy.

Comment

I read it on RC Groups where someone actually used 100%. For all we know, he could have had the control rod on the outer most hole of the servo arm and the inner most hole of the control arm, then wonder why his plane was so twitchy. :Silly:

Comment

First, you need to be consistent about which switch gets used for what.
                        THIS IS WHAT MATTERS.
                        Whatever way you do it... do it the same every time.

I always put retracts, flaps and "flight mode" on the same 3 switches.

Flight mode being the way I set up my dual rates and multiple expos.

What radio you have and personal preference will come into play.
                        I fly Mode 3 (Left handed version of Mode 2) so my more commonly used switches are on the right. Furthest from me is retracts.

I have the DX-18 so I can assign anything I want just about any way you could imagine.
                        Trying to remember different switch assignments for different models (especially those most common switched functions) will lead to errors and crashes.

I use 30% expo as my base and adjust from there after flight testing.
                        I do have an original UMX P-51 that is TERRIBLY twitchy on ailerons and have its ailerons at 80% expo.
                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I agree with fhhuber, consistency is key. Having to rewrite your brain-to-finger pathways at a moment's notice is not easy. In my line of work, flying different transmitters is something I do almost every day. Different transmitters, different settings, different switch positions, even different Modes. It's not fun. Pick what works best for you, and stick to it for all your models. Your memory will thank you! Reaching for Low Rates only to discover it's Throttle Cut is not a good thing!
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                            I agree with fhhuber, consistency is key. Having to rewrite your brain-to-finger pathways at a moment's notice is not easy. In my line of work, flying different transmitters is something I do almost every day. Different transmitters, different settings, different switch positions, even different Modes. It's not fun. Pick what works best for you, and stick to it for all your models. Your memory will thank you! Reaching for Low Rates only to discover it's Throttle Cut is not a good thing!
                            Ain't that the truth Alpha..........that's why my Throttle Cut is on the Rotary.........no more inadvertent ohhhh craps;)
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Don't fuss at me but I don't use a throttle cut...I find it gives a false sense of security.

TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                Don't fuss at me but I don't use a throttle cut...I find it gives a false sense of security.
                                But your not as old as some of us sporting some of the anomalies of that age bracket. LOL
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                X