Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoned Pilot - Need Input Hunting New Plane

Hey everyone,

I will be brief. Im eyeballing the E-Flite 1.2m planes with the current October sale going on.
    I'm looking at the F-4U, P-47 and Spitfire. I would apprecite opinions/input on these birds and what might be the best pick. I fly off of pavement.

Thanks

I have all three. They are all good planes (especially at the sale prices) but the P-47 is the best flyer. The wide track and large wheels also give it great ground handling and landing characteristics.

Don

Comment

I love the Corsair, I have two of these and absolutely love them.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by dfordham View Post
        I have all three. They are all good planes (especially at the sale prices) but the P-47 is the best flyer. The wide track and large wheels also give it great ground handling and landing characteristics.

Don
        Welcome to Hobby Squawk Don!
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Don!
          Thanks, TI. I've been around a while, just been lurking.

Don

Comment

I have t he P-47 and like Don says it's a great flyer with great landing and ground handling characteristics.

Roy

Comment

Welcome, Don! I have heard the P-47 is awesome and I have never had one. What is the flight time?

@TiredIron. You have two of the Corsairs? You must like em. What about them makes you like them so much? What is your flight time like?

What makes the P-47 a great flier? Speed? Handling? Stability? Ground characteristics are less important for me, but nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Arycon View Post
                Welcome, Don! I have heard the P-47 is awesome and I have never had one. What is the flight time?
                I fly with 3s 3200 batts for 5 mins at 3/4 to full throttle and come down with 30-40% remaining battery.

I recommend this larger battery for cg purposes as well as added flight time. If you use the recommended 2200 batt, you will likely have to add nose weight to get near the recommended cg. Even with the larger battery you may not get to the recommended cg, I don't. But I think it is a better flying plane with a 10-15 mm more rearward cg.

Don

Comment

I ended up buying the P-47D and Spitfire. Both are assembled and look good. 3S 3300's are on the way and hopefully the weather will be nice this Sunday. Thanks for the input, guys.

Still eyeballing that F4U though...

Comment

Originally posted by Arycon View Post
                    I ended up buying the P-47D and Spitfire. Both are assembled and look good. 3S 3300's are on the way and hopefully the weather will be nice this Sunday. Thanks for the input, guys.

Still eyeballing that F4U though...
                    Good choices! I think you'll enjoy both planes. My only caution is that with the very narrow stance and the 5 blade prop, the Spit can be difficult on the ground. Be ready for the left torque on takeoff.

Good flying,
                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by dfordham View Post

Good choices! I think you'll enjoy both planes. My only caution is that with the very narrow stance and the 5 blade prop, the Spit can be difficult on the ground. Be ready for the left torque on takeoff.

Good flying,
                      Don
                      Don, thanks for taking the time to post so much. I appreciate the feedback. I know the Spit has narrow gear. I wont lie, Im concerned about it. Im pretty good at greasing landings on my other e-flite planes but they are all 44" wingspan.

What can I expect from the Spitfire? By left torque do you mean the plane wants to roll left on takeoff?

Comment

I'll jump in.... I have flown the Spitfire several times (I'm the designated test pilot at my field). Its pretty common for many scale warbirds (especially tail draggers) to pull to the left on takeoff, due to propeller torque/P factor. You just need to keep control with the rudder and hold it straight, all the way through the takeoff roll and when you're climbing out. Once the plane is flying level it's fine.

I didn't find the Spitfire particularly difficult during takeoff, it takes off very quickly so the torque wasn't a big issue. No flaps on takeoff, use them only for landing. It slows down very nicely with the flaps and is not that hard to land.
                        Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                          I'll jump in.... I have flown the Spitfire several times (I'm the designated test pilot at my field). Its pretty common for many scale warbirds (especially tail draggers) to pull to the left on takeoff, due to propeller torque/P factor. You just need to keep control with the rudder and hold it straight, all the way through the takeoff roll and when you're climbing out. Once the plane is flying level it's fine.

I didn't find the Spitfire particularly difficult during takeoff, it takes off very quickly so the torque wasn't a big issue. No flaps on takeoff, use them only for landing. It slows down very nicely with the flaps and is not that hard to land.
                          OK. I am accustomed to that. I have an FMS1450mm P-51 and a smaller 44" e-flite P-51. They display the tendency you describe. I thought Don meant it pulled hard once airborbe. Always gotta work the rudder. I am looking forward to flying soon.

Comment

Wow Arycon nice purchase. I really highly recommend the corsair. I like TI own a couple of them. They are extremely good flyers. Ive only had one incident with one of mine. I was taking off one day doing my normal smooth throttle advancement when a sudden gust of wind hit the plane getting it airborne before i was ready and caused a left torque and preceeding carwheel on the runway. There was only minor damage to the wing and it broke the prop. But i am a Corsair fanatic . That plane coming down the runway on a low slow or fast pass to me is almost breath taking. Im sorry really love the Corsairs. I first started with the Corsair 44"s and then 2 of the 1.2mm. One is destined for the marine gray livery . Get one you will love it.:Cool::)

Dewey l

Comment

I have the Spitty and she's an okay plane, on a scale of one to ten, she's about a seven in Wy, with the altitude and wind. She's a great looking plane and flies well, but if I wanted a 1200 mm Spitfire, I'd go the Flightline RC version.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                              X