X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a CG frame

i have a CG machine and I cross threaded the very small set screw that holds the support pin guide. It's not quite flush with the top of the pin but not enough to
    get it out,I cannot get a replacement part since it's a Chinese product.
    my question is does anyone have an idea to get this out. I thought about drilling it out and retapping the hole to a little bigger size.
    appreciate any ideas.
    thanks steve

Hi,

You don't say what make your CG machine is. If it is the GreatPlanes machine I believe spare parts are available for this product. However, if it is another brand you may have to resort to drilling and retapping the thread.

Martin.

Comment

Basic idea of drilling out and tapping to a new size is correct for a cross-threaded set screw.
      Sometimes you can red locktite or JB weld the alan key into the set screw and pull it. You have to let is sit with the alan key in it long enough for the adhesive to cure and you can't get any of the adhesive in the threads (so its hard to do with a tiny set screw)

For better ideas pictures may help but getting good pictures of something that small will be difficult.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
        For better ideas pictures may help but getting good pictures of something that small will be difficult.
        If you don't have a macro lens for your camera, shooting through one lens of drugstore reading glasses will get a good close up.

Comment

Thank you all for your help, I will drill it out and retap it.

Comment

When you drill it try to get one the size of the grub screw. But before you do get on line and go to granger or mcmaster and carr and order a set of left hand drill bits. You will never regret it. Most of the time when your drilling one out counter clockwise as the material is being removed the bit will back it out. Then all you have to do is dress up the threads.
            Dewey l

Comment

Working...
            X