X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some input

Of all the planes I fly my Eflite Dallas Doll is the only one that I can never land without 2 or 3 hops. I've moved the c/g fore and aft full flaps ,1/2 flaps, no flaps a little faster a little slower nothing seems to make a difference. I'm sure it's me but just can't figure it out. It almost seems like when the retracts flex a little on landing it bounced it back off the ground. It's not bouncing up but about 6 to 8 inches but it does it 2 or 3 times every time. I'm out of ideas and looking for a little of your expert knowledge.
    Last edited by farmflyer; Nov 23, 2017, 03:37 PM. Reason: Added info

I also fly from asphalt.

Comment

I'm sure you've heard you need to "fly it to the ground". It's true, try to bring it in quickly enough so you don't need too much up elevator and as soon as the wheels touch let go of the elevator. You may need a couple light touches to prevent nosing over but If you can none is better.
      If any of my tail tragers touch the ground with up elevator they'll usually lift right off again.

Comment

Try changing your tires to dave browns. I fly from asphalt too and the softer tire really helps to take the bounce out of landings

Comment

All good advice.
          Land on the mains, at speed pretend it's a touch and go, minimal elevator for flair, pretend it's a touch and go once you are on the mains relax the elevator and once the tail starts to sit down on her own stick the tail and steer your feet.

Comment

FF..........sounds like your dropping down on the gear rather than flaring out.
            To many pilots try to 3 point tail dragging warbirds at to high impact/velocity and that positive AOA will launch it airborne again.
            Try settling on the mains with the tail level to the ground(neutral E) and let the tail drop on it's own (don't push it down) as the airspeed reduces.
            As long as the tail is still flying you will have rudder steering control and then when the tail drops you can hold up E to main tail wheel steerage.
            The actual result looks cool because it is so scale/real looking and also gets accolades from on lookers.:Cool:.

Technical setup on my Stangs is: Flaps are 15 degree for most shallow approach landings with winds less than 15 and 30 degree flaps for high angle approaches.
            On the majority of the 1400 sized warbirds, more than 30 degrees of flaps do not scale well for flight characteristics and they usually drop like a brick.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

G'day FF,
              Just as OV10 has said.
              Let her float to the ground like a butterfly with sore feet.
              There is great debate about a three pointer or a wheels on landing. I prefer the wheels on. Every time I see a three pointer the aircraft will bounce unless you are a very, very , very good pilot with a bit of luck tossed in. To get in a good three point landing, you are very close to a stall. Very close.
              If you come in and 'drop' onto the runway, she will bounce as well. Think of a ball bouncing and track that the ball takes and avoid that by flying a stable glide slope. That means with power on. As soon as you get into a position of hunting for the glide slope, in others words going up and down, I can bet the down cycle will be at the same time you hit the ground.
              FF, you may well be doing all this but the info is good for all.
              I only go for 'full' flap when it is dead calm so most of my landings are 'half' flap and no flap if I am flying when I should have stayed on the ground because it is too windy. We all know the story....ambition outweighing ability.;)Guilty as charged.:)
              And do keep the speed up as you have better control. Too slow kills.
              Regards and respect
              Daryl
              PS, Here in Australia most of our runways are grass but the soil is so hard and the grass so short, it is like landing on the hard stuff. At least at the fields that I have flown from.

Comment

Working...
              X