X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large scale takedown

I have a question for anyone who has been flying the larger planes and removing the wings regularly for transportation. Have you seen any ill effects to the mounting points or electrical connections from the constant use taking them off and reattaching for transport?

I haven't seen any issues. I regularly take the wings off for transport on my FMS 1450mm P-51B, Freewing twin 80 A-10, and my 1875mm B-17. I also have the FMS 1500mm P-47, and I removed screws at the connector at the body to make the connection free floating like the the Flightline aircraft. Haven't had any issues with that either.

Comment

I fly several large birds with wingspans up to 147". There are two things that either make or break the longevity of an airframe where you breakdown and assemble frequently.

One is how well the plane is designed in terms of robust hardpoints, quality of hardware, and how everything fits. The second factor is how careful you are when assembling and breaking down. If the plane is designed well and you are careful, there should be no problems. I like using wingbags as well. Prevents hanger rash and keeps those servo wires protected too.

I like to use the assembly and breakdown time to do a thorough preflight and postflight inspection.

Comment

I use wing bags also and take the wings off my FMS Corsair, my FMS P-51B my E Flight P-47, and my Pandora. I have not noticed any problems just be careful and take your time assembling and disassembling.

Roy B.

Comment

Working...
        X