X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Edf

Really would like some advice on a first edf. Been flying rc on and off for the last 30 years. The last rc plane I flew was the airfield p-51 got it out about a week ago flew it and got the bug again but now I would like to try jets. The only edf I have ever flown is the 30mm micro f-86. I am mainly into scale flying would prefer 70mm to 90mm range. I have a crop dusting service so I have a 25ft by 2000ft long concrete strip so runway is not a problem just would like some advice on a good first edf been looking at the freewing f-86.

FW F86 is the one you want :) It was my first. Very docile. Just make sure to set the lipo about halfway over the esc for cg. Loop up tip sit test on fw f86
    AMA 1102566

Comment

Agpilot25, welcome to Hobby Squawk! Please post pics of your Ag Wagon!

My recommendations based on your 70mm-90mm window, sorted by price:

$179 70mm Freewing Rebel V2
      $229 70mm Freewing Hawk T1
      $299 80mm Freewing F-86
      $329 80mm Freewing Avanti S
      $379 90mm Freewing Stinger 90

The Rebel V2 takes a cheaper 4s battery. The other aircraft on this list take 6s 4000s and 5000s. Downside is they're more expensive, upside is you can use that same battery in almost all of our medium to large jets.
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Since you've been looking at the FW F-86, I'l go on record as saying that's what you should get. Smooth flyer, easy take-offs and landings. You can't go wrong with that model.

Comment

Thank you for all the recommendations now it’s between the hawk and f-86. Probably the f-86 since I am into vintage us military jets.

Comment

Here are a few pics of the air tractor at-802 that I fly would be nice to have one that’s rc.

Comment

Originally posted by Agpilot25 View Post
              Here are a few pics of the air tractor at-802 that I fly would be nice to have one that’s rc.
              Both Dynam and Eflite make a "Dusty". I have the Dynam and a flying buddy has the Eflite. Both fly very well but the Eflite is better built (also more expensive).

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
                FW F86 is the one you want :) It was my first. Very docile. Just make sure to set the lipo about halfway over the esc for cg. Loop up tip sit test on fw f86
                Totally Agree.... and absolutely heed the CG advice :-)

Cool Vid on balancing

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Oh,,, yes ... the AVANTI 80 mike mike..... insanely easy and a great performer. My Daily Flier!
                  Current Hanger: FW, F4.F22,F14, Byron T-6, Top Flite P-47, Top Flite P-40, Top RC P-51 H9 P-51, SebArt Avanti, Yellow aircraft Spitfire, T Jeti Extreme Flight EDGE, DS-24 Carbon,

Comment

Originally posted by Agpilot25 View Post
                    Absolutely, but first a Grumman G-164B with a descent looking radial up front. I have been lobbying for this for a long time but I think I'm in a small minority. I'll never give up squeaky wheel approach.

Comment

Comment

Yes Ag Cat would be great that’s one of the first agplanes I flew have a lot of hours in one great flying plane really don’t miss it though have ac in my new one now

Comment

Ok so I pulled the trigger and bought the freewing 80mm f-86. Got it put together haven’t flown it yet waiting on some good weather. But anyways the wife is allowing me to get another edf what would be a good next step up after mastering the f-86 I was looking at the a-4,f-5,or f-104 figure I better take her up on her offer since she is allowing me to get another.

Comment

I would go a4

Comment

I think the F86 as mentioned is going to be a great choice , also for other 'new to jets' pilots, and as mentioned as
                              well is the Rebel V2 , (4s 2500 to 3600mah 60c or so), its not a rocket, so it doesn't disappear on ya' as much as
                              some of the faster edf's , pretty much flies where you send it and has decent launch and landing characteristics ,
                              I have only flown the F86 on the sim, but it is really nice and it is a warbird (for a extra few points in my view).

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                I would go a4
                                The A-4 when properly trimmed out is very forgiving and a joy to fly. She can be a little difficult to see in over cast skies. Landings are easy and pretty much set with your throttle management as the defining factors for altitude decent and touch down speed.
                                The F-5 is a little rocket ship when air bourn but not as forgiving as the A-4. Gooniac33 can offer more insight on this bird as he has flown one for a long time now.
                                The F-104 should NOT be your second EDF. That plane is really hard to see with its stubby wings, and will bite you if you do not stay on top of her at all times.

Comment

^exactly!

Comment

Im torn between the F86 and the A4.. I wish the F86 had lights though, but been hovering over the buy button for a month, wish there was sales or something to push me over the edge!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVH View Post
                                      Im torn between the F86 and the A4.. I wish the F86 had lights though, but been hovering over the buy button for a month, wish there was sales or something to push me over the edge!
                                      The A4 doesn't have lights, so that shouldn't be a factor when deciding between the two. Plus there are lighting kits out there if you're looking for more scale. Here's something to push you over the edge; "I double dog dare you to hit that buy button."

Comment

Originally posted by purduephigam View Post
                                        "I double dog dare you to hit that buy button."
                                        An appropriate quote for this time of year especially since it was a great line from "A Christmas Story"..............
                                        C'mon Ralphie, hit that button or risk having your eye be shot out from staring at it so long. LOL
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Working...
                                        X