You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys use for motor mount standoffs?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys use for motor mount standoffs?

I'm building a balsa/ply E-Flite ARF Leader 480. It comes with four 18mm long standoffs designed for to fit the cowling with the 480 motor. I am planning to use a Power 10 instead, and really only need about 8 or 9mm standoffs due to the motor's extra length. However, I don't have a good way to cut the existing mounts so that they would all be precisely the same length. I could cobble together some washers and get there, or possibly cut some out of hardwood spar material and drill the holes for the screws, but I figured someone out there has done this before and might have some better alternatives or suggestions. I can order some from Horizon, they have 7mm standoffs for 11.99 set of four, but would like to find an alternative from someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot. Possibly some hard rubber grommets?

Ideas anyone?
    Thanks,

Rich

My most common way is to build a box of lite plywood and then use threaded rod clear through the box and firewall. Cheap quick and easy.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks fhhuber! I may end up doing exactly that. Since I only need about 8mm, the box would be pretty thin, but will see what thin plywood I have on hand.

Comment

Working...
      X