X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubro skis and low wing setup?

I'd imagine it'd be easiest to fly the skis in high wing. I have a Pandora stuck in low wing due to stripped screws. Just wondering if it's worth trying out in the low wing configuration. Anyone else breaking out the skis?

Long time since I've done skis, but low wing vs high wing doesn't matter much.

Its just clearance of the wings vs any piled snow beside the runway.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

The snow must be fairly crusty. If it's soft, I've found skis don't work well. Due to the slight down thrust of most RC motors, when you try to get the plane moving, the nose gets pulled into the soft snow and you bury the prop. I've even tried skis with my twin SkyMule, which is a high wing. The nose ski just gets sucked into the snow and it becomes a snow thrower. I don't do skis anymore in winter, electing instead, to go with belly skidders or planes with large tires like the BushMule and even with the BM, the snow needs to be harder or packed.
      I'm sure you can do it with skis in soft snow, but they'd have to be somewhat over-sized so they don't sink.

Comment

Only had about 3" yesterday, but it was light fluff. My issue was, once I got enough speed, if it wasn't level, a ski would plow and do exactly what you said (which reminds me, I need to replace a prop). I did get it up with full flaps rolled in, but one ski didn't self right and acted as a sail which made recovery nearly impossible before it came back down.
        Too much wind today, but I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I feel bad for my Pandora, really laying a beating on her!

Comment

Man, we're getting hammered out here, white out conditions, predicting 18 inches, I wouldn't be surprised....

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Only 24 here windchill17 with freezing drizzle. I'm sure TI would fly in it but not me :bluetongue

Comment

Lake Effect snows from Ontario and the Finger Lakes :(20 with wind chill of 8 :blueangry I'm ready for spring flying................... ANYTIME NOW ALREADY.:Sun:
              Warbird Charlie
              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

It's a balmy 35 here... and yes, George did fly earlier today. Said he froze.

Comment

PBY's work well off the snow. Just ask George.

Comment

I'm so close to just getting the Catalina as I know I'll use it up in Wisconsin in the summer. Didn't want to "waste" a plane purchase as I'm about ready to make another shelf purchase in the F-15. The wife can only handle so many MRC boxes arriving at any given time....

Comment

Tell her you can only handle so many pair of shoes.

Comment

I can't really play that card as I'm a huge fisherman and have about 15 rods. She'll go there and then I'm stuck with my tail between my legs. She says I have too many hobbies.....

Comment

Put skiis on the Flyzone Beaver the other day. We have a frosty fly at our field on New Years day. Calling for -15C and a little wind, can't see too many guys making it out to fly in those conditions. I've never had the floats or skiis on the Beav before so I hope the weather isn't too bad and I can get a couple flights in.

Comment

Hey man just 16 rods and reels. I stopped counting at 86 and now its a pain to keep the dust off and figure out which one needs new line when i go fishing
                            :).
                            Dewey l

Comment

That reminds me I need a new surf rod! Lol

Comment

Hah, glad I'm not the only one with more hobbies. As for the skis, I quit with them. Got the plane off the ground and the skis just dipped down and acted as a sail; unable to bring the plane further up. Powered off and brought it in for a snow grenade. I'll just stick to tossing my little F86 around until I can break out the Pandora and Rebel when the runway clears at the field.

Comment

HK skipper is my go to in the snow, she will fly off anything and is a blast to skid around on the ice
                                  rc flyin addict

Comment

That was what I meant about needing to ensure the skis 'Fly" level.

It pretty common to add hand bent springs to ensure they don't do what yours did.

Wrap 2 turns of light music wire around the strut, then come down about an inch, then bend straight back. Secure to the ski near the strut and at the back.
                                    adjust the angle the spring holds the ski by supporting the plane at the wingtips and making the bottom of the ski parallel to the wing incidence (line from leading edge to trailing edge... usually)

The curve of the front of the ski should then try to lift the nose of the ski slightly more in flight, but the spring should prevent it from being so huge of a drag source. The skis will still drag more than the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                      Lake Effect snows from Ontario and the Finger Lakes :(20 with wind chill of 8 :blueangry I'm ready for spring flying................... ANYTIME NOW ALREADY.:Sun:
                                      Oswego gets hammered by lake effect snow! I actually grew up in both Syracuse and Rochester; I’m living in Norway now, where strangely the winters are so much nicer. We are near the ocean though and warm water from the Gulf Stream certainly beats Canadian wind from Lake Ontario!

Anyway fun thread, I actually just posted a winter flying video in separate thread, but maybe it’s more relevant here!

*video spoiler alert* winter flying is pretty awesome! Something peaceful, almost magical, about flying off the snow. Cheers all!

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        The snow must be fairly crusty. If it's soft, I've found skis don't work well. Due to the slight down thrust of most RC motors, when you try to get the plane moving, the nose gets pulled into the soft snow and you bury the prop. I've even tried skis with my twin SkyMule, which is a high wing. The nose ski just gets sucked into the snow and it becomes a snow thrower. I don't do skis anymore in winter, electing instead, to go with belly skidders or planes with large tires like the BushMule and even with the BM, the snow needs to be harder or packed.
                                        I'm sure you can do it with skis in soft snow, but they'd have to be somewhat over-sized so they don't sink.
                                        FLOAT's.This is the Only Way to fly off Deep soft Snow, even if it is deep powder. I have 5 Planes I fly with floats that never come off no matter whether it is lakes in warm months, or snow in the Cold Winter months. E-1500, 2.1m Carbon Z Cessna 150, Air Tractor, Mini Turbo Timber, and a FMS Ranger one other mini Timber and the 1.5 Timber Try this you may like it LOL!!!! video 150 Cessna https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Pmji_QrME .
                                        Here is a Video of the E-Flite Air Tractor on snow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Pmji_QrME

Click image for larger version  Name:	C-123 Cargo plane.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	297274Click image for larger version  Name:	blizzard1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.7 KB ID:	297275Click image for larger version  Name:	Mini.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	297276Click image for larger version  Name:	ap1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	297277Click image for larger version  Name:	Ranger.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	297278

Comment

Working...
                                        X