You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who is the overall best Rc plane manufacturer??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is the overall best Rc plane manufacturer??

Hi! I am beginner in Rc planes, maybe it is a silly question but asking anyway: Do anyone have the experience to tell me who is the overall best Rc plane manufacturer?? I thinking about the electric planes within pricerange 200-500 Dollars! Especially Warbirds....

Freewing and Flightline. No contest they're the best in my book. Scale, power, price, quality. I haven't found a match yet.

Eflite: good quality and price, but not scale. You'll pay $275 for a warbird that doesn't have scale gear doors covers or retractable tail wheel. Drives me crazy. AS3X is nice, though, and just about every plane they make comes with that now installed. That's a good deal. You can get these just about any where, that's good.

Had a couple FMS planes. Very scale looking, but underpowered. Had to upgrade the engines on all of them just to get some decent speed. Quality is not bad, but not as good as Freewing or Flightline. Good news on FMS, you can buy parts at your local hobby store, because they are carried by Horizon now.

Dymam: wouldn't touch one. Seen a few go very bad with quality control at our club. Seem to have plenty of power, but you never know what you're going to get.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Oh, if you have any experience with trainers and are ready for a warbird, I probably would recommend an Eflite 1200mm P-51 with AS3X as the best way to step up. Don't go Corsair right now. It's more difficult to take off and land. After you get the P-51 down, go to a Freewing or Flightline warbird. You won't regret it.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post
        Freewing and Flightline. No contest they're the best in my book. Scale, power, price, quality. I haven't found a match yet.

Eflite: good quality and price, but not scale. You'll pay $275 for a warbird that doesn't have scale gear doors covers or retractable tail wheel. Drives me crazy. AS3X is nice, though, and just about every plane they make comes with that now installed. That's a good deal. You can get these just about any where, that's good.

Had a couple FMS planes. Very scale looking, but underpowered. Had to upgrade the engines on all of them just to get some decent speed. Quality is not bad, but not as good as Freewing or Flightline. Good news on FMS, you can buy parts at your local hobby store, because they are carried by Horizon now.

Dymam: wouldn't touch one. Seen a few go very bad with quality control at our club. Seem to have plenty of power, but you never know what you're going to get.

Hope this helps.

Sums it up perfectly right there !

Comment

Originally posted by Mr408w View Post
          Hi! I am beginner in Rc planes, maybe it is a silly question but asking anyway: Do anyone have the experience to tell me who is the overall best Rc plane manufacturer?? I thinking about the electric planes within pricerange 200-500 Dollars! Especially Warbirds....
          Welcome to the Squawk! What type of warbirds do you like best? A T-28 Trojan tends to be the most popular beginner (trainer) warbird.

Comment

Agree with Flightline and Freewing for scale warbirds. I wouldn't really call them beginner warbirds though. As AZ said, an EFlite 1.1m/1.2m warbird, such as the Mustang or Spitfire, with AS3X, is a great entry level tail dragger. Are you planning to go with Spektrum for your transmitter/receiver?
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

As in most topics of discussion, opinions are as varied as there are Victoria Secret underwear. If you are a beginner, perhaps a warbird isn't the best place to start, but if you must, you might want to keep your investment lower than higher because you will crash. True that the cheaper ones may be more problematic but fixing a crashed cheap one and a crashed expensive one will require similar effort but the expensive one will likely cost more in parts. It might be smarter to start with a trainer type plane.
              As for "best", even the top tier manufacturer's products will have quirks and idiosyncratic issues, just fewer of them. I fly all of the ones mentioned already and they all need some attention to make them "better". With that said, I have no qualms about Dynam whatsoever. It is an economy brand that produces fairly decent planes for lower dollars. Just take some time and get some experienced help to set them up and/or to beef them up before flight.
              I am reminded of an analogy with Corvette sports cars. Starting in the 80's, all the magazines would say each year that "this is the best Vette yet". I've owned 2 from the 80's and 90's and I've known many owners of Vettes and quite frankly, as far as being the "best", sometimes the best is only as good as it can get at the time and there's still lots of room for getting better and in some cases, "best" still not quite good enough. This applies to all RC electric model manufacturers. For proof, take a look at the treads on any of the FMS, Freewing and Dynam products on this forum and other forums. You will see clearly what owners have experienced. They ALL have examples of issues and less than desirable "out of the box" situations.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                As in most topics of discussion, opinions are as varied as there are Victoria Secret underwear. If you are a beginner, perhaps a warbird isn't the best place to start, but if you must, you might want to keep your investment lower than higher because you will crash. True that the cheaper ones may be more problematic but fixing a crashed cheap one and a crashed expensive one will require similar effort but the expensive one will likely cost more in parts. It might be smarter to start with a trainer type plane.
                As for "best", even the top tier manufacturer's products will have quirks and idiosyncratic issues, just fewer of them. I fly all of the ones mentioned already and they all need some attention to make them "better". With that said, I have no qualms about Dynam whatsoever. It is an economy brand that produces fairly decent planes for lower dollars. Just take some time and get some experienced help to set them up and/or to beef them up before flight.
                I am reminded of an analogy with Corvette sports cars. Starting in the 80's, all the magazines would say each year that "this is the best Vette yet". I've owned 2 from the 80's and 90's and I've known many owners of Vettes and quite frankly, as far as being the "best", sometimes the best is only as good as it can get at the time and there's still lots of room for getting better and in some cases, "best" still not quite good enough. This applies to all RC electric model manufacturers. For proof, take a look at the treads on any of the FMS, Freewing and Dynam products on this forum and other forums. You will see clearly what owners have experienced. They ALL have examples of issues and less than desirable "out of the box" situations.
                Yepper ;)Thanx for saving me from writing a lengthy note saying basically the similar suggestions.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Same answer here. Flightline/ Freewing.

But..... and a very big but....... If you're brand new to the hobby, I would not recommend starting off with a Warbird. Rather get yourself a high wing trainer like the Apprentice S . or even the the FMS trainer that's featured on Motion's Scratch and Dent section for $39.00. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ratch-and-dent

Consider Investing in some of the basic infrastructure. Some of this stuff is a one-time (at least for while) buy. like :
                  1). A decent radio - I would get the Spectrum DX-6. User friendly and can also bind to other Spectrum TX's for wireless buddy boxing. Might be something more popular in Norway like Graupner.
                  2). A decent charger - I would recommend the Icharger 208B with 300w power supply but there are several other good ones out there like Cellpro. Ask around.
                  3). A Simulator- Realflight or Phoenix. invaluable
                  4). Get your AMA card. You need this no matter what if you plan to fly at any AMA field. Period. Not sure if this is required in Norway but there's probably something like it.
                  5). Consider joining a local club if tht's something that is available to you.. There's a plethora of information and personal hands on advice you'll get just by hanging out and asking questions. Plus, many clubs provide training. And its part of the camaraderie of the hobby .Making new friends, Having fun.

In any case, You came to the right spot. Motion is a great shop that supply you with everything you need to get started. And once you've gain some proficiency and confidence ( won't take too long) with the trainer, you'll be on your way to Plane #2 which in fact could be a Warbird. My #2 plane was the Eflight T-28. Low wing, higher performance envelope.faster.

Best of luck and welcome to our great hobby !

Hawk
                  Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                  Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                  I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Originally posted by dahawk View Post
                    But..... and a very big but....... If you're brand new to the hobby, I would not recommend starting off with a Warbird. Rather get yourself a high wing trainer like the Apprentice S . or even the the FMS trainer that's featured on Motion's Scratch and Dent section for $39.00. https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ratch-and-dent
                    k
                    Very good advice. I've seen enough beginners show up at the field with their brand spanking new (and often times, expensive) warbird still in the box. Do the unboxing at the field, send it up, it lasts for less than a minute (usually about 15 seconds), either crashes into a pile of foam or disappears into the wilderness, never to be seen again. Frustrated, they leave their boxes laying around and leave the field wondering to themselves ...................... "WTF just happened"?

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                      Very good advice. I've seen enough beginners show up at the field with their brand spanking new (and often times, expensive) warbird still in the box. Do the unboxing at the field, send it up, it lasts for less than a minute (usually about 15 seconds), either crashes into a pile of foam or disappears into the wilderness, never to be seen again. Frustrated, they leave their boxes laying around and leave the field wondering to themselves ...................... "WTF just happened"?
                      Amen Xviper!

Comment

I'll try a different approach now. How about getting yourself an RC simulator where a crash is as cheap to fix as a reset button? THEN read into which entry level aircraft you want?? That's how I learned to fly 3D. Sim first, then flight. My 2 cents.
                        Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

For an economy line of PNP/RTF models, Dynam is pretty good.
                          Averaging 3 years of aggressive flying with their appx 1200 mm - 1300 mm span warbird series (includes the Tiger Moth, which makes a good trainer)
                          3 and 4S 2000 mah to 5000 mah (4S 5000 mah in the Me-262) All but the Me-262 are able to use both 3S and 4S, though the ones that list 4S are pretty anemic on a 3S 2000 mah.

I tend to see how large of a battery the model can carry and I push the voltage limits of the ESC and motor. (with wattmeter testing) The Dynam P-51 calls for 2000 mah 3S and with just a little foam cutting a 4S 3300 works really well. (OEM prop, motor and ESC) It CAN carry a 5000 mah 4S, but its not happy.
                          With the extra weight and high G maneuvers I do, I had to toothpick-pin the wing insert that holds in the CF tube spar. Glue just wasn't holding it.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Get yourself a good eflite trainer bird. Also get a good high quality radio, say a dx8 or 9, and read the manuals for both plane and radio. The good thing if you get a solid radio, it will always be there for every plane you grow into in the future. Make the radio a buy once cry once investment. And my reasoning for suggesting these radios is that you can easily bind them to all the horizon hobby brand planes with little to no fuss. Also my understanding is you can download the programming files directly from horizon hobby so it will truly bea bind and fly experience! I wish you happy flying and a happy New Year!

Comment

Thank`s for the advice! I forgot to mention that I have started with the high wings and have flying some Heli, racing drones & and camera drones for seven years now, and a lot of simulator too! Just generally new when it comes to planes! I already have the FMS P40 Warhawk, and the T 28, but before that I think to start of with the 1200 mm F8F Bearcat from flightline and A3L 3 axis gyro! Thank`s again folks, and I appreciate all the good advices :) I love this hobby!! :) Bye the way I have being member of a local RC- club nearby, and yes we have similar card here in Norway too! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by AZFlyer View Post

Hope this helps.
                                Yes Thank You ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MotionJB View Post

Welcome to the Squawk! What type of warbirds do you like best? A T-28 Trojan tends to be the most popular beginner (trainer) warbird.
                                  Hi, and thank you! Just to mention, cause I forgot, I have started with High wings and lot of hours with simulator! By the way I have the FMS P40 and the T28, I know its to early to fly this ones yet I`m just ahead of schedule, I just had to purchase them before they disappear, Lol! I think The F8F 1200mm from Flightline with the A3L is a good start! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by S.W.Warbirds View Post

Sums it up perfectly right there !
                                    Thank`s ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MotionJB View Post

I Have the T28 already ;)

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Yepper ;)Thanx for saving me from writing a lengthy note saying basically the similar suggestions.
                                        Hi and thank you! Yes it is a big ocean out there with many brands, I have to mention for you too, cause I forgot to include in my question that I have started with high wings, and I manage them. No single crash or nose over yet, but that will come sooner or later LOL. In fact I am not so green when it comes to rc, I have flown helicopters, camera drones and some racing drones and a lot of simulator for 7 years now, but a rookie when it comes to planes. except for my two high wings I have the FMS extra 300, FMS T28 V4 and the Newest version of the P40! Yes it is ahead of schedule, but I had to HAVE lol...you know how that is I suppose ;) I think for my selves here, that the F8F-1 Bearcat from Flightline with the A3L 3 axes gyro will be a good starter when I feel I am ready! I will purcase the Cirrus SR22T from E-flite too soon, just to go the levels here, cause that ones is a low wing and seems to be a good trainer before my T28 cause of the three cycle gear! Thank you again for good advice!

Comment

Working...
                                        X