X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPORTSMAN S+ Binding Issue

Can't get the Sportsman S+ to bind. Bought brand new RTF but can't get it to bind. Took to Hobby Shop and they said they got it to bind .... got it home and nothing responds. .. it isn't bound. Any suggestions?

It was supposed to be bound out of the box but it wasnt. Also the front landing gear was broken off. Guy at Hobby Shop fixed that but said he couldn't test it bcuz their shop is located too close to an Airport. Said he was able to get it to bind but wud have to disable the GPS eacheck time I fly it.

Comment

Your manual should show you how to do that!..:Smug:

Comment

Done it step by step a few dozen times ... tried everything ... batteries in TX new, Battery to plane fully charged, outside away from everything in the middle of a field ... nothing works

Comment

binding: RX on first. RX off before turning off TX.
          A 2.4 ghz mouse or other computer 2.4 ghz accessory (and other radios systems) will typically mess with binding. Be sure you are at least 50 ft from any that are turned on. (sometimes further is needed)
          There are some 2.4 ghz devices that "do not play well with others" I have a 2.4 ghz camera system that is useless because it swamps the entire 2.4 ghz band and will cause any RC model within 50 yards to crash.

Forever when not binding: TX on first RX off first.

You can mess up the bind (and have to re-bind) if you do not follow this.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Several guys at my field have the Eflite Timber. Most of them have had problems with binding. Only one has bound without problems. I believe the RX in the Timber has similar programming as in the Sportsman S. The bulk of our Timbers could only be bound in one mode and not the other on initial attempts. A couple of them finally got it to bind the way they wanted after about 15 tries. They also noticed that the TX has to be at least 10 feet away from the plane. They don't all seem to be the same in this sense.

Comment

I've got this plane for my son to fly with me. I thought when I first got this plane that the esc was not working at all. The thing I had to do was calibrate the compass. So you have to rotate the plane on different attitudes. It's a real pain, but here's a video

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                I've got this plane for my son to fly with me. I thought when I first got this plane that the esc was not working at all. The thing I had to do was calibrate the compass. So you have to rotate the plane on different attitudes. It's a real pain, but here's a video
                Ahhh, this has "self landing" capability, so it needs GPS calibration. Another wrench thrown in to fluster the end user.

Comment

GP has to sense location each time you turn on. that means you have to turn on in the middle of the landing zone (and far enough from any obstruction that the self landing doesn't run into them regardless of direction of approach)
                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                    Ahhh, this has "self landing" capability, so it needs GPS calibration. Another wrench thrown in to fluster the end user.
                    YES! Since my son and I don't travel much, we only had to do it the one time to get it to fly ok, even after changing to the horus x10 with the dsmx module. It didnt need to recalibrate. Just wish they would have put that notice on the box or something.

Comment

Have a Sportsman S+ I bought some time ago....finally got around to attempting to fly. TX appears to bind correctly with corrects light and tones......then system appears to link correctly when preparing to fly, but there is no control response from the TX. I have been flying drones for several years, so I am familiar with the binding process.....Ive "bound" multiple times....each time, it seems to be successful, but again, when preparing for flight, TX stick movement has no effect on the control surfaces or motor. I have also done compass calibration which appears successful based on lights.

Comment

Originally posted by jwcgc629 View Post
                        Have a Sportsman S+ I bought some time ago....finally got around to attempting to fly. TX appears to bind correctly with corrects light and tones......then system appears to link correctly when preparing to fly, but there is no control response from the TX. I have been flying drones for several years, so I am familiar with the binding process.....Ive "bound" multiple times....each time, it seems to be successful, but again, when preparing for flight, TX stick movement has no effect on the control surfaces or motor. I have also done compass calibration which appears successful based on lights.
                        I don't have this model but is there a bind plug? If so, as soon as the TX says it's bound ("bind complete"), do you have control at that time? And on subsequent power ups, was the bind plug removed? If not, it's waiting to be bound again and in such a state, nothing will work.
                        I'm not a quad guy but I understand many of these don't have bind plugs.
                        Oh, and is the TX at least 10 feet away when you hook up the battery?

Comment

Thanks.......there is a bind plug....I followed the instructions, but did not test the controls when it was still installed. There is nothing in the manual about being 10 feet from the aircraft when installed installing the flight battery, but I will also give that a shot. Many thanks

Comment

Tried everything.....nothing works.....may install a regular received and forgo the auto flight functions.

Comment

The receivers in these planes - Timber, Sportsman-s, etc, with the SAFE, etc. can be peculiar. I would suggest you re-read the binding instructions again and note the steps involved. You may have left out a step or mis-interpreted a step. Failing this, you might have a dud. The manual may not tell you about being at least 10 feet away but in some of the more recent models, they do mention this in the instructions. If you get it to bind and all the functions work, make sure you take out the bind plug.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwright View Post
                                Done it step by step a few dozen times ... tried everything ... batteries in TX new, Battery to plane fully charged, outside away from everything in the middle of a field ... nothing works
                                I finally just ordered a straight 4 channel rx for my dad's Sportsman. Thing's AWESOME now! So docile you don't need that useless gps junk. His would decide in flight to go into "auto land" mode at random! Toggling the switch, you name it, all we could do was watch it hit buildings & trees til we bypassed that crap. Perfect now

Comment

Yup i swapped the sportsman reciever, had to finally kill that stupid gps in it. It became very annoying very quickly

Comment

Working...
                                  X