X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now for something completely different

The indoor circuit is where it is at for us right now due to the weather and because of my love of EDF's I wanted a jet to fly indoors. I looked around on YouTube and found some video of scratch built Eurofighters made from Depron.

I had a bear of a time finding any significant information about them. What motor(s), ESC's, batteries, props, etc. Could not find any plans either. So, I decided to just make it up as I went. Started with a drawing of a Eurofighter I found on line that included cross sections of the fuselage. I enlarged it with a projector to roughly the size I wanted. Ended up being 46" long with a 34" WS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180125_185747.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.1 KB ID:	115999

Once I got my templates made I picked up some Dollar Tree Foam board and Gorilla Glue. I decided to make it a twin with 1507 4100kV motors spinning Racekraft 3076 3-blade props. It will have elevons and thrust vectoring like the one in the video. So far I am working on the starboard half of the fuse and started sheeting it this evening. Until a new Freewing offering comes out that I must have, this is what I am working on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180126_220807.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.7 KB ID:	116000

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180131_185103.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	116001

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180202_205812.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	116002

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180203_094510.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	116003

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180203_164128.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	116004

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180204_201114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	116005

I figure the first side will be the hardest but form a pattern to duplicate the other. Never worked much with Depron before so this is all new to me. Once covered I will sand it smooth and fill any major defects with lightweight spackle. More to come.

Nice, in an even different direction, after my n9mb project, I might resurrect my old idea of bringing the old sea dart to life. Complete with the skis and everything. I figure the twin 80mm fans of the A10 should have the power to make it happen. Waterproof servos and 6s power should be a true challenge, anyways, saw this and thought I would add my outside the box idea as well. That said, I like this one, looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
      Nice, in an even different direction, after my n9mb project, I might resurrect my old idea of bringing the old sea dart to life. Complete with the skis and everything. I figure the twin 80mm fans of the A10 should have the power to make it happen. Waterproof servos and 6s power should be a true challenge, anyways, saw this and thought I would add my outside the box idea as well. That said, I like this one, looks great!
      Now that would be epic. I'd say it would be a challenge for sure but what an unusual subject.

Comment

Here was my very first successful scratch build...

Comment

Nice. Were there no F-16's available then or did you just really want to make your own?

Comment

Very cool!
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

My foray into scratch built took a bit of a comic book turn ............................................

Comment

Ha! That's cool!

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                  Nice. Were there no F-16's available then or did you just really want to make your own?
                  yeah they were few and far between. Plus I had an 55mm edf unit just screaming for a new home.

Comment

Couldn't spend much time on it tonight but the nose is sheeted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180205_202501.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	116170

Comment

Nice stuff guys. :Cool: Building with foam board is something I've been wanting to do.

Comment

I can see why there are not really any plans available for something like this but it is fairly easy to work with. I am totally amazed by the jetliners that RAMY RC creates out of it. The things are practically works of art.

Comment

Yeah they are, I've been impressed with his stuff for a while as well

Comment

Steve......I just noticed the updated avatar. Is that a prelude to something in the works;)?
                            Warbird Charlie
                            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                              Steve......I just noticed the updated avatar. Is that a prelude to something in the works;)?
                              Yes CB, I am trying to do more with name recognition as I look to support the hobby. I want to do more with my Youtube channel/videos. More flight videos, build videos and who knows, maybe even some product reviews. Time to get more serious. :Silly:

Comment

Right on bro......... that's why I named my airfield right from the gitgo of my announcing the acquisition in prep for some of the same reasons you mentioned.
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
                                  The indoor circuit is where it is at for us right now due to the weather and because of my love of EDF's I wanted a jet to fly indoors. I looked around on YouTube and found some video of scratch built Eurofighters made from Depron.

I had a bear of a time finding any significant information about them. What motor(s), ESC's, batteries, props, etc. Could not find any plans either. So, I decided to just make it up as I went. Started with a drawing of a Eurofighter I found on line that included cross sections of the fuselage. I enlarged it with a projector to roughly the size I wanted. Ended up being 46" long with a 34" WS.

Click image for larger version Name:	20180125_185747.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.1 KB ID:	115999

Once I got my templates made I picked up some Dollar Tree Foam board and Gorilla Glue. I decided to make it a twin with 1507 4100kV motors spinning Racekraft 3076 3-blade props. It will have elevons and thrust vectoring like the one in the video. So far I am working on the starboard half of the fuse and started sheeting it this evening. Until a new Freewing offering comes out that I must have, this is what I am working on.

Click image for larger version Name:	20180126_220807.jpg Views:	1 Size:	166.7 KB ID:	116000

Click image for larger version Name:	20180131_185103.jpg Views:	1 Size:	71.2 KB ID:	116001

Click image for larger version Name:	20180202_205812.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	116002

Click image for larger version Name:	20180203_094510.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.5 KB ID:	116003

Click image for larger version Name:	20180203_164128.jpg Views:	1 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	116004

Click image for larger version Name:	20180204_201114.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	116005

I figure the first side will be the hardest but form a pattern to duplicate the other. Never worked much with Depron before so this is all new to me. Once covered I will sand it smooth and fill any major defects with lightweight spackle. More to come.
                                  By complete coincidence I was also watching that video yesterday!!
                                  I would like to try one of these as well. Nice work so far!

Comment

Thanks. Dude, you should. Quite the learning curve and I don't know how well it will work but I am more than willing to help you in any way.

Comment

Wow Steve. Watched that video. Almost seems to defy the laws of physics at times! Amazing. Looking forward to your progress reports.
                                      Scott

Comment

Just keep building... just keep building.... what do we do? We build. A little more progress. Gave the nose a quick sanding and added a bit of the bottom. A little progress is better than none.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180206_201324.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	116249

Comment

Working...
                                        X