X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gatoring in your garage?

I'm trying to figure out where to set up storage racks for my planes. The garage makes the most sense as it's easy-in/out. Unfortunately it's not climate controlled so in the summers it can get pretty hot. For those of you that store in your garage, do you have any issues with gatoring? If so, I guess I am limited to the storage space in the basement. The basement might be better for me personally in order to maintain the wife's "out of sight out of mind" mentality :Smug:

No issues at all as long as there's no direct sunlight on them.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I don't leave mine in any hot or direct sunlight conditions, especially the darker colored ones as they will gator. The clear coats with UV protectant are a good idea as well. We had people at Nefi with a bunch of airplanes with the gear retracted, sitting directly on the hot pavement!! Made me cringe!!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	120722
      Team Gross!

Comment

Folks don't have their own jet tents? LOL

Comment

For sure - in the sun you can almost watch the gator pattern appear, NEVER leave my planes in the sun (unless they are flying of course :o)
          rc flyin addict

Comment

12 years storing planes in the garage in Phoenix. Never any issues with gatoring. Like George says, it's direct sunlight that does it, not just heat.
            Pat

Comment

Tempting to bring things to the garage, but I think I might have to stick things in the basement to keep things centralized. Between the rack project I have planned as well as the "fix it" zone, I might as well keep things close together. I'll post some pics once I get the workspace completed. Start calling me TiredIron, my basement is filling up with jets!!

Comment

Or....you could do like I did last year.
                The wife took over one half of the two car garage and turned it into a she shack, I took the other half and turned it into the Summer Hangar. I was great as we spent most evenings in there, got a fridge and some tables and it was the perfect place to paint and repair, and just to hang(ar)
                The neighbors would stop by and the one lady one street over saw the P-51s and later told us her dad had flown one in WWII. Good Times!!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	121054Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1147.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	121055Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	93.0 KB