Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't quite figure it out.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't quite figure it out.

Sorry guys if this has been posted I did try a search and didn't find what I was looking for. So I got my first Fliteline plane yesterday the F7F Tigercat. This is my first counter rotating war bird and I'm a little confused on which side each propeller goes on. There's 2 packs with propellers in them one labeled standard and the other with nothing on the package which I'm assuming is the counter rotation blades? My confusion is which side while standing behind the plane does each go? Should both turn inward or outward? I'm also having trouble with one of my engines but I'm troubleshooting that now to see what the problem is. My suspicion is I have a bad motor on the left side. Have the nacelle off now to see if I can find the problem. Suck thing is I already glued on the wire covers and now I have chipped paint on the wing even though I was as cautious as I could be. Oh well guess I'll go to Lowe's and have them color match as best they can. Anyway, thanks for reading what I'm sure is a newbie question even though I'm 52 yrs old :Cool:

The prop tips rotate away from the fuselage at the top. So the Standard prop goes on the right, the counter-rotating one on the left.

Check all of your connections from the motor to the ESC, and make sure the ribbon cable is fully seated in the board in the fuse. What exactly is the motor doing (or not doing) when you power it up? Could also be a bad solder joint.
    Pat

Comment

Your best bet is to go to the Motion rc web site and look up the Tiger cat, there are a bunch of videos there for flying and build. Also Motion has a tech, that should answer any questions. The props will either go toward the fuse or away, so one will go counter clock wise, like you have on a standard single engine. That motor gets the standard prop and the other gets the reverse prop. As far as your motor, check wiring from esc, which you might have to remove cowl to check if plugs are all in. Call Motion and if they suspect a bad part they can send you a new one. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
        The prop tips rotate away from the fuselage at the top. So the Standard prop goes on the right, the counter-rotating one on the left.
        Most full size aircraft have the props tips rotating toward the fuselage in order to prevent having a "critical engine". An exception is the P-38 which had prop tips rotating away from the fuselage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counte...ing_propellers

Interestingly, the real F7F appears to not use counter rotating props at all: see the start up of an F7F in these videos:

Comment

That's correct, the full scale did not have counter rotators, and the P-38 had them this way due to airflow issues. You could easily convert this model to not have counter-rotating props by switching two of the ESC to motor wires on the left engine, and purchasing another Standard prop. But the stock setup flies just fine as is.
          Pat

Comment

Originally posted by crxmanpat View Post
            That's correct, the full scale did not have counter rotators, and the P-38 had them this way due to airflow issues. You could easily convert this model to not have counter-rotating props by switching two of the ESC to motor wires on the left engine, and purchasing another Standard prop. But the stock setup flies just fine as is.

Comment

Doesn't really matter as long as both are operating - P-factor would be cancelled out when they rotate inboard, and with conventional tail the slipstream is also neutral and eliminates most left turning tendencies with application of power. My guess would be inboard rotation. If you hook it up as they specify, it would be obvious which prop goes which side, once you apply a little throttle to determine engine rotation.
              were engines labeled L and R?
              I would think manufacturers indicate such if they went to the trouble of sourcing counter-rotating propellers. It just might be hidden in the instructions.
              I set mine up that way, used props from Motion RC for B-17.

Comment

Brushless electric motors "don't care" which way they rotate. Its set by the ESC and the order of energizing the motor windings. If the motor is energized A, B, C, A , B, C, it rotates one way, A,C,B, A, C, B it rotates the other. (If there are 3 colors of wire to the motor, pick a color for each letter...)

So they won;t label the motors as to R or L... they'll just swap 2 wires between motor and ESC (if needed) to get the desired direction.
                FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks everyone . Figured out the prop question .Thanks for everyones response . Also figured out the motor . It ended up being a loose solder on the ESC. Suprising since the rest of the plane is made pretty well . Gear doors could use a little more attention I think I'm going to use a dremel to clean up the gap a little . I'm just picky I guess . Anyway glad I asked the question . I'm sure there will be more .

Comment

Working...
                  X