X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "painting" epoxy

I need to thin some 15 or 30 minute epoxy to be able to brush it. Any suggestions?

You can thin epoxy with alcohol or acetone. For foam I’d use alcohol, isopropyl type. Be careful not to thin too much or it will never fully setup and be kind of rubbery. Best thing is to just use a thin finishing resin or use West Systems but that’s more expensive but you get what you pay for.

Comment

Get a finishing epoxy. These are generally "slow cure" which means you have the XX min working time, then often 2 hr to 48 hr of it feeling tacky after its too stiff to wrok with or make a decent bond. (but dust will stick quite well)

Finishing epoxies are usually "runny" Kind of like a cheap latex paint consistency, which allows easy brushing.

Anything you mix in (alcohol, acetone... whatever) will eventually have to evaporate out. This leaves a porous finish and since you want to brush it, I assume you want to use it to seal the surface. Even if the result seems hard... its not a good sealing coat.
      FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Guess I go looking for finishing epoxy. Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X