X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one would be best for beginner.

E-flite Apprentice S 15e with SAFE 1500mm (59") Wingspan or HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ with SAFE

Trying to decide which i should get. Which one i decide to buy I eventually would like to add flaps . What do you veterans suggest. Thanks

Apprentice is the way to go.

Comment

Having "been there" as a beginner, I found it much easier to start off with a EP glider. BNF with SAFE or install a receiver with a SAFE like feature. No need to fly from a "club field". Hand launch in SAFE mode. Climb to height. Switch off the SAFE mode. Play arround at height. Switch back to SAFE mode to recover from potenial desaster. Use SAFE mode to glide in for a soft belly landing. Gliders are majesttic and more predictable. Start with at least a 1.5m wingspan. Maybe all that is needed is three channel and a large dihedral wing.

Comment

Yeah, I started with a Radian sailplane myself, no SAFE. Having no wheels, landing was easier to master. You just have to NOT fly it like a normal plane (ie, under power all the time).
        But given the choices, it's boils down to a matter of which one is easiest to deal with - tricycle gear or tail dragger. IMO, a trike would make for less prop damage due to nose over, however, there is still the chance of front quarter tip over (this causes less damage but can get frustrating). A tail dragger can be tricky to keep straight on the ground while taking off and there is more likelihood of nose over and subsequent prop, motor and motor mount damage - as a beginner, we've all been too slow to shut the motor off when we see it going over.
        Once flying, both those choices should be fairly equal in terms of beginner learning. (Go for the Apprentice.)

Comment

Thanks everyone. Bout 12 years ago i flew a p51 park flyer..just getting back in the swing. Still have it. Got a p47 rtf flown it once...found out i needed to go back and start again. Was overwhelm with it takeoff was good landing...well not so. Looks like the Apprentice is the way...thanks again.

Comment

I went with the HZ Carbon Cub with SAFE +.
            All I can say is my Cub is in a lot better shape than most of the club Apprentices I see and after 5 months I am flying planes without SAFE and not foamies, with success.
            I say that with humility, as I am far from gifted, and just lucky sometimes. But that Cub was the perfect trainer for me and have found it works well for training newbies, but I also had to figure out exactly what the modes would do and how they worked, as well as what features were also a hinderance and unnecessary.

Comment

Thanks F22trainer. I understand how the safe works...never dealt with the virtual fence before. I assume it not difficult to set up each time. Also i was reading on the cub you got only 6 to 8 minutes flight time. Is there a way to extend that time?

Comment

Originally posted by Bolter18 View Post
                Thanks F22trainer. I understand how the safe works...never dealt with the virtual fence before. I assume it not difficult to set up each time. Also i was reading on the cub you got only 6 to 8 minutes flight time. Is there a way to extend that time?
                Glad you noticed that - I actually disabled the e-fence and GPS for auto land / hold functions. Those features will take control from you.
                using a 2200 mAh battery I get near 15 minutes at lower power settings and a solid 10 with loops, rolls etc.

That said, the airplane I set up to make it pretty much impossible to descend with any power, in the beginner mode. Reducing the power is the only way to get it to come down. It makes a very stable descent you can control with power to increase or decrease the vertical rate - easy to land. The point is, that it makes it appear the airplane is tail heavy and you cannot pitch the nose down when in fact the beginner mode is preventing that from happening and you are learning to climb and descend using power only with a minimum of elevator inputs.
                When you use those beginner and intermediate modes - control input are limited. So much so that if you use proper takeoff technique, you will discover that applying up elevator during the roll -will limit your rudder travel and you may not be able to correct for either wind or P-factor.

I really learned a lot about these features with mine and I’ll do my best to help ya out, but I am still learning also. While I may be a professional pilot -my tech skills are not at the guru level yet and I still get dumb thumbs, now and again.

Comment

That’s the second time a first time poster recommends this site...
                  hmmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

That’s the second time a first time poster recommends this site...
                    hmmmmm.
                    He's gone.
                    TiredIron Aviation
                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Working...
                    X