X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big crash

Very new to RC flying. Started with the Carbon Cub a few weeks ago, and moved to expert level on this plane pretty quickly, tho thank god for “safe” technology. I can just switch to beginner when I think I’m gonna crash. So I bought the Sukhoi 29mm, and tried to fly it today. That lasted about 5 seconds and I broke the nose right off. I’m gonna try some “Foam Tac” on it and see if it’ll repair.
    Anyway. My question is this... I noticed in programming my transmitter that it seems there is also an app to program the receiver. It’s a Spektrum 636. It looks like I can make adjustments to this receiver to make the aleirons, elevator and rudder move a certain percentage. Is that how this works? Can I set these to work at say, 30% till I get used to this plane with that app?

Not sure of the RX programming.

Your TX may be able to be programmed for "Dual Rates" where a switch can be selected to change between normal full throw and a lesser throw for the same stick deflection. It may also be able to apply "EXPO" which can make the controls less sensitive near center of stick travel, but still allow the full travel at full stick deflection.

This depends on which transmitter you have.

When you glue the nose back on the damaged model. push in toothpicks to pin the joint together. This helps hold it while the glue dries and adds some strength to the joint. Just 3 or 4 toothpicks is usually plenty. Push them in so they are completely hidden. You won't need to remove them.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Thanks for the toothpick advice, I’ll do that. I’m very new to this and I don’t understand all that “expo” and “dual rates” stuff but I’m trying to learn it all. I wish I had a better tx, currently using a Spektrum dxe, 6 channel. It does show that I can adjust expo and rates and things like that, but I have no clue what all that means.

Comment

The DXe is a great radio, for flyers at entry level. Videos on YouTube wil help understand and program your TX. The Cub is also a great choice. If you can takeoff, fly and land it without the SAFe modes or Virtual Fence (Advanced Mode and GPS OFF) and do it consistently, you should be ready to move up, but an acrobat might be a bit ambitious of a second step.

Comment

Fatman first ,Welcome to the Squawk !!! Now you went from a high wing floater type plane to a low wing tail dragger . It's like a night n day change . A high wing plane like the Cub is a great plane to learn and just relax with . It handles great and is easy on takeoff n landing . A low wing plane has very little forgiveness in comparison . You have to learn reaction for it's action . Before you give it a try after repairs I would spend at least another month , with lots of flight time , with the Cub .

We have all been in your shoes and I do mean ALL !!!!

Bryan
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

The Sukhoi 29mm may be THE worst plane to choose when you consider yourself "new" to flying RC. This plane has surprised many beginners and "experts" alike. The AR636 that's in this plane is very proprietary and is unique to that plane. The Rx cannot be used (without extreme effort) in any other plane. Yes, it can be programmed for simple things via a smart phone app and the dongle cable, but even with this, the plane simply flies "weird". Beyond the simple parameters, most of the features in programming are locked.
            We've had a couple of these at our field and neither actually flew even moderately well. In fact, I've received 3 of these Rx's from people who have crashed them and didn't want to even bother to fix them again and again and again. I tried to reprogram them for other planes and failed. I just threw them all away. The same applies to the small Corsair of the same brand. That Rx can't be easily used in any other plane.
            One of the experts at our field (not me) flew this plane when a buddy owned one and he (the "expert" in 3D flying) barely got it down intact. He hated this plane. If you read about it in RC Groups, you will find this sentiment pervades that whole thread.
            Crashing badly with this Sukhoi can't be considered as a black mark on your RC career. My buddy even tried to replace the Rx with a "normal" one and same thing. The plane just didn't want to fly in a controlled way. It's just a strange little plane.

Comment

Well. Looks like I may have gotten a bit too ambitious. I’ll repair the Sukhoi, and put it away for a later date. I researched a lot on that plane and got the impression it was a pretty good second plane. I’ve gotten pretty proficient with the Cub, and don’t use any of its “safe” features any longer, tho clicking back to beginner once in a while, to save it. That thing is a tank, takes a beating and keeps on flying.
              I’m doing loops and rolls, taking off and landing the Cub with few problems. So could I trouble you gentlemen for suggestions on a second plane? I’d love a biplane and keep looking at the PT-17. Yay or nay?

Thanks to all of you for your quidance and advice.

Comment

Any of the Eflite biplanes with AS3X would serve as a second plane very nicely. However, I don't see any with SAFE, but you seem to have progressed past that (on the most part). As a side note, most of the bliplanes out there are "tail draggers" and tend to have their main gear attached inadequately. Beginners have a tendency to land fairly fast and level (as opposed to near stall and a higher angle of attack). This being the case, the main gear on these things can and often times do, get bent back or tear off. Knowing this, you can do some re-enforcement of the mounting point on the gear and learn to land slower with more of a flare.
                Have you looked at the HobbyZone T-28 with AS3X and SAFE?
                Once you get past feeling the need for AS3X, a whole new world of planes opens up to you (and usually cheaper, too).

Comment

PT-17 was my “2nd Plane” even though I had a couple of Balsa trainers that with no SAFE etc., that I also flew. The biplane did help fine tune my rudder skills but at the expense of some wing drags on the ground. But it is a sweet flyer and quite stable if you stay out of the x-winds.

Comment

Originally posted by Fatman View Post
                    Anyway. My question is this... I noticed in programming my transmitter that it seems there is also an app to program the receiver. It’s a Spektrum 636. It looks like I can make adjustments to this receiver to make the aleirons, elevator and rudder move a certain percentage. Is that how this works? Can I set these to work at say, 30% till I get used to this plane with that app?
                    The 636 is a receiver with their AS3X gyro built in. As such, they are programmable via an iOS/Android app, as well as a Windows application (recommended)

did you purchase the 636, or did it come with an airplane? If you purchased it, there should have been 2 programming cables that came with it: one that goes from a 3-wire servo lead to a micro stereo plug (used for iOS & Android) as well as a USB to 3-wire servo lead. (I can find mine and provide pictures, if you need)

Spektrum kept up with the iOS app fairly well, but the Android one is garbage... hasn't supported any of the newer Android versions, and always seems to crash. Their Windows program is pretty decent, however. Install it on a laptop, and you can make adjustments in the field. Links to the iOS, Android, and Windows programs, along with firmware updates to the AS3X software on the 636, can be found here:
                    The AR636 DSMX 6-Channel AS3X Sport Receiver from Spektrum, the leader in spread spectrum radio control.

Please keep in mind: if this is a 636 out of a plane that has SAFE you will NOT be able to update the firmware or change any settings.

Comment

If you have any of the Spektrum Gen 2 transmitters, the latest update will now allow you to program the AS3X directly from the TX. The smartphone APP is no longer needed.

Comment

Originally posted by rtwatkins View Post

Please keep in mind: if this is a 636 out of a plane that has SAFE you will NOT be able to update the firmware or change any settings.
                        I have reset several of these to be a standard receivers.

TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

They might have changed the safe software then? I know in my sukhoi the 636 with safe is not programmable.. neither the PC firmware update program nor the mobile apps will read/write to it

Comment

Originally posted by rtwatkins View Post
                            They might have changed the safe software then? I know in my sukhoi the 636 with safe is not programmable.. neither the PC firmware update program nor the mobile apps will read/write to it
                            The little Sukhoi and the Corsair had proprietary programming in their 636's. The instructions even states that those RXs could not be used in any other plane. Those planes were some of the earliest to utilize the 636. They seemed to be "locked". I had 3 of them given to me by owners who got fed up with the way the plane flew. I tried to modify them for use in other planes and failed. It was impossible for me to get the servo directions correct and have the stability response correct. One or the other would be right but not both. Beyond those planes, the game changed.
                            Some people were able to use those 636s in a couple of other Eflite/Parkzone planes (eg, T-28) but those were rare examples where the servos and direction of travel were the same as in the planes the RXs came from.

Comment

I've reset to "Open" three of the Corsairs using the mobile app..
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Was it this one ................................ https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-basic-efl8550
                                This one is the current gen and has the 636A that can be re-programmed.

Or was it this one ........................... https://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-airplan.../HBZ8200.html#
                                This one was the original generation with SAFE. It's no longer sold by Horizon. Page 12 of the manual said something about the RX being specifically designed for that plane.

Comment

Working...
                                X