X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Blade prop for FMS Beaver

I recently contacted Master Air Screw for their recommendation on what size 3 blade prop to use FMS Beaver. They recommended a 14/9 prop. Does anyone know who makes a spinner that would work with the FMS prop adapter on the Beaver?

There is no (non FMS) spinner made that has the hex on the backside that can be used with a MAS prop.
    Your best recourse is to remove the hex from the shaft with a hand file or some other higher level machining practice and use an inexpensive Dubro 3 blade spinner.
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I have been known to measure the exact outer diameter of that hex on the motor shaft of FMS. Then I drill a hole (if smaller) OR find a nylon or plastic washer(s) that will fit inside the hole of the prop (if bigger than the hex), glue that into the prop, then drill it out to just fit over the hex without slop.
      OV10's way is also good. You can always get another motor shaft should you want to go back to the stock prop later.

Comment

FMS Beaver: Anyone have recommendations on mixing some down elevator when flaps are lowered? I lowered my flaps on the second flight and it ballooned almost straight up. Had to raise the flaps immediately. Love the way it flies but trying to get used to it flying off wheels before I put the floats on and take off the water. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by me109pilot View Post
          FMS Beaver: Anyone have recommendations on mixing some down elevator when flaps are lowered? I lowered my flaps on the second flight and it ballooned almost straight up. Had to raise the flaps immediately. Love the way it flies but trying to get used to it flying off wheels before I put the floats on and take off the water. Thanks!
          Slow it down to a 4 second deployment per step. Ballooning also happens when you deploy flaps at too high a speed. Real planes slow down a bit first before deploying flaps, then they are deployed slowly to prevent ballooning.
          Mixing ELE to flap is a stopgap measure. It will compensate for any ballooning but you will have to manually UNcompensate as the plane slows down because then the down compensation becomes too much and the plane will drop.

Comment

Thanks for the advise xviper. I may very well had been going too fast as I was also high up. It is also on a three way switch and I may have gone full suddenly.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotobyWD View Post
              I recently contacted Master Air Screw for their recommendation on what size 3 blade prop to use FMS Beaver. They recommended a 14/9 prop. Does anyone know who makes a spinner that would work with the FMS prop adapter on the Beaver?
              I know this is a dated post I'm quoting but I'm with you! I purchased the new FMS Beaver v.2 (red) and looking for a more scale 3-blade prop. You're spot on with the 14X9 prop but I'm having a heck of a time finding a 2" spinner (preferably aluminum) that has that damn hex fitting FMS uses to make it proprietary :( I'm exploring the possibility of changing out the shaft to a more standard 8mm / 5/16" shaft so I can use a standard spinner and back plate. Did you have any luck finding something? Email me at jgroves54@hotmail.com with info. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X