X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Dynam Tiger Moth is in!

I feel sorry for you guys in the northeast you've had a long rough winter. Hopefully the weather will give ya'll a break soon.

Comment

Yep, I am officially blaming you guys for making me get this plane! :cool:  At least, that is what I am telling my wife! It should be here tomorrow, looking forward to getting it and flying it. Biplanes are always fun, and this one sounds great. I am thinking I will leave it stock colors for now, but I will be watching your progress and might decide to do a paint upgrade on mine at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier
        Yep, I am officially blaming you guys for making me get this plane! :cool:  At least, that is what I am telling my wife! It should be here tomorrow, looking forward to getting it and flying it. Biplanes are always fun, and this one sounds great. I am thinking I will leave it stock colors for now, but I will be watching your progress and might decide to do a paint upgrade on mine at some point.
        The stock yellow is great on cloudy days or those last light flights orientation is breeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneflier
          I guess that is as good an excuse as any. I just don't ever want to meet your wife, I might get punched!  LOL. Hope you like your TM, it seems to be a nice plane so far. After pondering the paint job, I decided to go with the spray paint vs. the airbrush. I started with my new airbrush and it would have taken forever. I bought two cans of paint yesterday and got two coats on all the major parts. I will need another can for the struts, and cabanes, and under carriage. I'm doing this white so it takes a lot of paint to cover that yellow. I do notice that Dynams paint is VERY well adhered to their planes. It's like an elastic coating and very hard to remove....that's good.
          Addicted to planes!

Comment

Well, started the Callie decals today........WOW, it was VERY difficult doing the ones on the top wing ends.  They are big so it is probably my own fault for wanting this design.  Really hard to get the outside edges looking good.  I had to cut small slits in the vinyl to get it to lay flat on the curved surfaces.  I think it came out OK in the end though.  I tried the "wet" method for the first one I did on the rudder....not good.  I went back to just applying the other side without the water/detergent.  The original photo I saw for this design had the colors going all around the edge of the rudder, but there was no way I was going to get that to look good at all....too curved.  So I decided to just trim them to the edge and leave the white showing. It's OK.
            Now I will attempt some LONG stripes on the fuselage.  Will send photos......if it comes out ok!!!!

Keith

Attached Files
            Addicted to planes!

Comment

Originally posted by retiredflyer
              Well, started the Callie decals today........WOW, it was VERY difficult doing the ones on the top wing ends.  They are big so it is probably my own fault for wanting this design.  Really hard to get the outside edges looking good.  I had to cut small slits in the vinyl to get it to lay flat on the curved surfaces.  I think it came out OK in the end though.  I tried the "wet" method for the first one I did on the rudder....not good.  I went back to just applying the other side without the water/detergent.  The original photo I saw for this design had the colors going all around the edge of the rudder, but there was no way I was going to get that to look good at all....too curved.  So I decided to just trim them to the edge and leave the white showing. It's OK.
              Now I will attempt some LONG stripes on the fuselage.  Will send photos......if it comes out ok!!!!

Keith

Looking good Keith! I like that color scheme you are doing. My TM is supposed to arrive today, looking forward to getting it.

Where are you brown truck?

Comment

That looks like you did a fine job for such big decals. Those compound curves are always a real PIA ;) . Looking forward to the roll out and flight report.

Steve
                AMA 95495
                Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

More decals today, the sides of the fuselage.  Not as hard as the wings. I tried putting a coat of HobbyCoat on afterwards with the airbrush....didn't like it.  The airbrush is fine for paints, but with the HobbyCoat it tends to gum up the nozzle after each cup refill.  Additionally, it puts down such a fine mist (even with the biggest nozzle and max airflow) that you have to keep going over, and over, and over the areas. I think I will just go with regular brushing on the polycrylic.

Attached Files
                  Addicted to planes!

Comment

More decals today, the sides of the fuselage.  Not as hard as the wings. I tried putting a coat of HobbyCoat on afterwards with the airbrush....didn't like it.  The airbrush is fine for paints, but with the HobbyCoat it tends to gum up the nozzle after each cup refill.  Additionally, it puts down such a fine mist (even with the biggest nozzle and max airflow) that you have to keep going over, and over, and over the areas. I think I will just go with regular brushing on the polycrylic.

Polycrylic is just o.k. If you want a much better finish that is more flexible, use Varathane water base. Home Depot carries it. I've thrown my Polycrylic in the trash! Seriously! Doc

Comment

Originally posted by doctormike

Polycrylic is just o.k. If you want a much better finish that is more flexible, use Varathane water base. Home Depot carries it. I've thrown my Polycrylic in the trash! Seriously! Doc
                      I hear ya, unfortunately I have already put a coat on of the Minwax. I had a brand new can and was too cheap to chuck it. I will give it a try though at some point. There is no close HD to me so that was a partial reason. Appreciate the info. 
                      Addicted to planes!

Comment

OK, so I'm waiting patiently two weeks for my mail to arrive from China (Hobbyking) with my two new pilots for my Tiger Moth.  I get home today and THERE IT IS....YEAH!!!!  I rip it open, and there are the two Master Airscrew 12 X 6 birch props, that's good, but where are my pilots? I look under the bubble wrap in the bottom of the box and find two tiny packages with equally tiny pilot busts.  What the *&@#&!%#. 

Are you kidding me.....they sent me the wrong pilots!!!!!  I whipped open the webpage to review my order and........oops......I fat-fingered the order and selected the wrong ones.   They had TWO different sizes of the SAME pilots.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Now I have to wait two more weeks for ANOTHER shipment from China.   CRAP!!!!!!!

See if you can see what's wrong with this picture..............

Attached Files
                        Addicted to planes!

Comment

OK, so I'm waiting patiently two weeks for my mail to arrive from China (Hobbyking) with my two new pilots for my Tiger Moth.  I get home today and THERE IT IS....YEAH!!!!  I rip it open, and there are the two Master Airscrew 12 X 6 birch props, that's good, but where are my pilots? I look under the bubble wrap in the bottom of the box and find two tiny packages with equally tiny pilot busts.  What the *&@#&!%#. 

Are you kidding me.....they sent me the wrong pilots!!!!!  I whipped open the webpage to review my order and........oops......I fat-fingered the order and selected the wrong ones.   They had TWO different sizes of the SAME pilots.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  Now I have to wait two more weeks for ANOTHER shipment from China.   CRAP!!!!!!!

See if you can see what's wrong with this picture..............

Pilots are fine, you're plane's too big!! :angel:

Steve
                          AMA 95495
                          Freewing P-51D Iron Ass
                          Freewing F-86 80MM

Comment

I believe finding pilots at the right scale and that don't look stupid is the bain of scale enthusiast. It seems that most PNP planes have pilots way to small. I always turn their heads just a little so they don't just look foreward in a daze. I'd rather put Homer Simpson in my planes than some of these so-called scale pilots. Doc

Comment

I believe finding pilots at the right scale and that don't look stupid is the bain of scale enthusiast. It seems that most PNP planes have pilots way to small. I always turn their heads just a little so they don't just look foreward in a daze. I'd rather put Homer Simpson in my planes than some of these so-called scale pilots. Doc
                              I totally agree Doc, most of the pilots out there look stupid. These two guys were, however, not too bad. They at least didn't look like a 2 year old painted them. I've seen  the ones I was suppose to order in the TM cockpit on another forum and they look fine, the shoulders touch the sides. It is a challenge, I'll agree with you on that point.
                              Addicted to planes!

Comment

Worked on the cockpit this week.  Found some scrap fabric of my wife's and decided to "upholster" the seating area.  Hey, I have time because I'm waiting for my BIGGER pilots!!!!  Anyway, I think it came out fine.  I know it should be leather or something, but this is OK.  Looks better than just painted foam.
                                I balanced the new MA prop and made the hole bigger to accommodate the motor shaft, HOWEVER the stock spinner DOES NOT FIT over the new prop.....DAMN.....more re-work and dremel work!!!!  Always something.  But it will be worth it. I also decided to do a landing gear mod I had seen, basically bending the gear forward about an inch so the wheels are closer to being lined up with the top wing front edge. This is to keep nose overs at a minimum.

Keith

Attached Files
                                Addicted to planes!

Comment

I really do appreciate how much work you put into that cockpit, however, no offence, but... can you say "flying coffin" In good humor, Doc

Comment

I really do appreciate how much work you put into that cockpit, however, no offence, but... can you say "flying coffin" In good humor, Doc
                                    LOL, you're right, didn't think of that. Oh well, when the pilots are in, it will be mostly covered. Just adds a bit of texture. Now I will have coffin on the brain and probably crash on the maiden. At least the pilots will be comfortable!
                                    Addicted to planes!

Comment

The construction continues.....today the wings and rigging.  OK, I have to say that this rigging install was VERY difficult with one set of hands.  What a pain in the butt!  It was almost impossible to hold the screw, and rigging wires, and struts, and put the TINY nuts and not drop everything onto the floor.  That happened a lot.
                                        After I figured out the instructions, I put on the long wires that span the wings and tightened all the screws and nuts only to discover that I had to still put on 2, short crossed wires at the ends of the struts that go on the SAME screws I just finished up with.  CRAP!!!!!!  Everything has to come apart again, and loosens up, and nuts drop everywhere.  EVENTUALLY, I get everything on.....3 hours of work and a lot of cussing.  My daughter heard me from up in my cave and wondered what was going on!  I put a dab of Foam Tac on every nut to prevent loosening when I was finished.
                                        A few photos for you. 

I also did the mod to the landing gear, it is bent forward about an inch based on some forum chat and recommendations I read in RC Groups. (prevents nose overs).  Had to cut and re-drill the two support tubes to fit. 
                                        I have to admit though, this is a NICE looking plane with this rigging on.  I love it.  Very detailed.  Adds so much to the look.  Worth the work.

Attached Files
                                      Addicted to planes!

Comment

Retired...What a beauty!!! My dad used to say... "Anything worth doing, is worth doing right" You did it right! I haven't even finished my paint job. I can hardly wait to do battle with the wires! Even after the torturous construction of many balsa/ply ARF's, I'm sure there will be a bit of cuss'n! How did the landing gear mod affect your C.G.? Doc

Comment

When I flew mine the other day I bounced it a little with a little cross wind skid. Somehow it popped the left strut out of the upper. Apparently there's a little spring up in there which I no longer have. The landing really wasn't that hard. I'm thinking I'll make my gear solid unless you really slam it I don't think it'll mater. By the way Retired you really did a nice job on yours it doesn't even look like the same plane as mine.

Comment

Working...
                                          X