X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap Deployment Speed

I just got a E-Flight T-28 BNF with flaps and retractable gear, I am using a Spektrum DX6i radio.
    When I deploy the flaps, they come down extremely fast, which may cause issues in flight. I do not know how to slow down the deployment speed....any suggestions?

Thanks!

I am not sure if the DX6i will allow you to control your servo speed. Im racking my brain, maybe you can look for a flap setting page under your functions list on your radio. I want to say you cant do that with a DX6, but I could be wrong. If you can not do it with a DX6, then you can get slow down servos. The FMS 1400mm size warbirds used them on their flaps if I remember correctly, as example. Yes, you are correct that your aircraft could balloon up very quickly.

Comment

Hi benjack71, I can't find anything in the flap settings that would change the deployment speed. I have seen workarounds with mix, and using the gear channel to create a slider, but I need the gear channel.

Thanks,

RY

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Y View Post
        Hi benjack71, I can't find anything in the flap settings that would change the deployment speed. I have seen workarounds with mix, and using the gear channel to create a slider, but I need the gear channel.

Thanks,

RY
        If that is the case, then I think I would consider getting slow down servos/servo or a servo speed regulator

Comment

Ways to deal with it...

#1: Reduce throttle below half, then wait 5 seconds, then apply flaps.

#2: Mix flaps with throttle using the flap switch for active/inactive mix. Now full throttle will pull the flaps up. (if you set the mix % and travel to do it) and you can't put flaps down excessively for the throttle setting.

#3: Buy Hitec (or other) programmable digital servos and adjust servo travel speed.

#4: Buy a sequencer or similar device that has the option t slow servo travel (most delay, but don't slow the response, so read the instructions)

I have some of those little Turnigy devices.
          Never used them to slow a servo. When used on electric retracts the way the retracts function, they act to delay operation. (the retracts are up or down, not proportional. Triggered when the signal crosses a certain value, so slow would act as delay) Nice to have the wheels sequentially retract and extend on some models.
          I could plug one into a servo and see how they do at slowing movement.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

DX6 allows changes in flap speed, if in the flap menu (airplane set up with aileron + flap) DX6i does not appear to have that capability.

Comment

I started with the DX6i and quickly learned its limitations. It served its purpose well and got me going in this hobby. However, that was the time when the earth was fairly new and the last dinosaur was taking its last breath. Rather than spending the money on other devices to slow down the flap servos, why not just buy a modern era TX that you can continue to grow with in this hobby?

Comment

Good advice everyone, I appreciate the input. I think the best route is to update the radio, it was a hand me down from a buddy when I was just getting started, so I think I may look at a DX8 or similar.

Comment

Good advice everyone, I appreciate the input. I think the best route is to update the radio, it was a hand me down from a buddy when I was just getting started, so I think I may look at a DX8 or similar.
                  NOW you’re cooking with Crisco!

Comment

Just know that the current DX8 is a G2 (gen 2). You may still be able to find a DX8 or a slightly used one but the DX8 G2 is the current one. Nothing wrong with the old DX8 but the G2 has been around long enough for the prices to come down and it has a few features that are "nice to have" even though you may not use them right away. Get the one without the receiver to save a few bucks, unless you really want a fancy 8-ch Rx for less than what you would pay by itself..

Comment

I used to use the 2 second deployment on the flaps, per the manual, but recently tried using 4 seconds. I really like how the plane reacts with the slower deployment speed. I have also started to remove the elevator-flap mixing and use my thumb to manage the elevator. I was having stability issues with both my Timber (UMX and big one) and E-Flite P-47 when deploying the flaps. The longer deployment time solved the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BRGT350 View Post
                        I used to use the 2 second deployment on the flaps, per the manual, but recently tried using 4 seconds. I really like how the plane reacts with the slower deployment speed. I have also started to remove the elevator-flap mixing and use my thumb to manage the elevator. I was having stability issues with both my Timber (UMX and big one) and E-Flite P-47 when deploying the flaps. The longer deployment time solved the issue.
                        This is something that we must all learn and eventually figure out. As with you, I no longer employ any elevator compensation on my flap deployment, just a longer deployment time and a small amount of manual compensation. When I was using elevator compensation and a fast flap deployment, the plane remained neutral when I threw the switch, but as the plane slowed down, I had to manually UNcompensate for the elevator as it became too much for the slower speed that the plane was approaching. Some planes are worse than others.

Comment

yeah, each pilot and plane deals with it a little differently. I really struggled with the flaps on my P-47. After getting rid of the elevator mix and slowing the deployment down, it is very smooth and controlled. It gives a huge boost in confidence when it looks right and looks good.

Comment

I have the hk device in several planes with flaps. Great little gadget, allows you to reverse 1 servo (needed for flaps) and adjust speed flap down and separately adjust speed flap up. If you do not have TX programing availability these work perfectly.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

rc flyin addict

Comment

Working...
                            X