X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations on micro plane

I've started my RC experience with the Hobbyzone Sport Cub S and it has been great so far. I fly it in my backyard, which is large enough for a micro rc airplane, but not large enough for a wingspan above 30". Think about an area a little smaller than a softball diamond. The Sport Cub has taken a beating (there's a few trees around my yard) but with some repairs it keeps running. At some point I will either need to invest money back into the Sport Cub to fix some of the more severe damages, or I can invest in another plane.

What would you recommend for flying a small plane in a backyard that typically get a light breeze? I'm interested in gentle flying around with some aerobatics. I don't think I'm interested in a very fast plane due to the small flight area.

I've been bitten by the RC bug hard, and I love it! Thanks for your help.

I love this little bird. It was my second years ago and it will serve you well.

https://www.motionrc.com/products/hobbyzone-sport-cub-s-bnf
    AMA 1102566

Comment

Welcome to Hobby Squawk Tim, I agree on the little Hobbyzone Sport Cub S...it's what I start new students out on to build confidence and muscle memory, fantastic little plane.
      TiredIron Aviation
      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Welcome! I also second the Sport Cub S. I used it for a year to build confidence in 4-channel planes and fly in smaller areas. From there, I have moved to the UMX J3 and UMX Timber. I fly both with floats. I prefer the 2S powered ones after having so many issues keeping the 1S batteries alive. Never had issues with the brushed motors, just the batteries.

Comment

I flew a friends Sport Cub S in 5 mph winds and it got away from me quick and the further it got away the harder it became to track the orientation. So as long you fly in no wind which is not an every day occurrence its fine.
          Flying in your back yard for now while your learning is okay but once you start getting better you will eventually find it restrictive.
          I hope you can find a park or a bigger open area near you when you eventually move up to something like a Carbon Cub S. If you really got bit by the RC bug you eventually will! ;)

Comment

The UMX Timber is a nice plane with lots of features. It is designed as a STOL(Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft and flys slowly with take off flaps deployed. It has large wheels that can handle rougher terrain than some other smaller planes can. The lighting package makes late evening flying possible, but watch the trees, they don't have lights on them.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses! I currently own the Sport Cub S2, which I love, but I'm wondering if my next plane I should try something different, or given my flying field just stick with the Sport Cub.

Comment

The Sport Cub S is great, but if it were me, looking for another micro for a back yard, I would go with teh UMX Timber. Great plane, can fly tight quarters, fairly acrobatic for a STOL plane and a little bigger.

Comment

My favorite Micro/Backyard flyer is the E-flite UMX Pitts. It looks great and flies like it's on rails.

Comment

If you already have the Sport Cub S, then I would go for the UMX Timber. The UMX J3 is also great and has the classic look of a yellow J3 Cub. I added lights to mine so I can fly it later in the evening. The UMX Timber comes with lights.

Comment

Both the UMX Trojan and the UMX Mustang are excellent planes, The Mustang can handle outdoors and light breezes better than the Trojan.

Comment

Originally posted by Trobinson99 View Post
                        Both the UMX Trojan and the UMX Mustang are excellent planes, The Mustang can handle outdoors and light breezes better than the Trojan.
                        My UMX P-51D BL can probably handle more wind better than my larger planes. It is amazing how well that plane flies in the wind. It needs a much larger area than the Timber or J3 due to how much faster it flies. I manage to fly my P-51D over the pond in my back yard, but landing is always a challenge as I have to navigate trees, beach umbrellas, and the water.

Comment

Will I find the UMX Timber to be of the same aerobatic level as the Sport Cub S2?

Comment

Update, the UMX Timber was the way to go. The aerobatics are good enough to do loops and rolls, and the flaps are really fun to engage and try landing on short pieces of runway.
                            Definitely recommend!

Comment

Originally posted by IowaTim View Post
                              Update, the UMX Timber was the way to go. The aerobatics are good enough to do loops and rolls, and the flaps are really fun to engage and try landing on short pieces of runway.
                              Definitely recommend!
                              Congrats on the little Timber! If you can find some water, even puddles, the UMX Timber is a blast on floats.

Comment

Working...
                              X