X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric motor parts/instructions?

I have just recently returned to the hobby after 20 years. I purchased a Turnigy motor which has dozens of small parts and I have NO IDEA what all of them are. I've been to You Tube and can find no answers and have bought books which are useless. HELP!

Hello dennyp and welcome to the Squawk,

It is impossible to reach out with a helping hand of advice when you have provided us with nothing but a manufacture name.
    What make and/or size of motor.
    Pics would be a giant step in providing us with helping you out of your confused dilemma.;)

Best regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I agree with OV10. A picture of the parts all spread out would be helpful. Turnigy motors come in different degrees of parts, some have none while others have various bits and pieces. You are most likely dealing with some screws and maybe some bullets connectors and some shrink tubing, but without a better description, all one can do is guess and guessing would be a bad start to your return to the hobby.

Comment

General parts included with a Turnigy motor:

X mount. A black metal X with holes in it which is screwed to the motor to aid in mounting it. (almost always used)

Collet prop adapter. Slides over the motor shaft and when you put a prop on then tighten the nut the collet grabs the motor shaft. Works much like the way X-Acto and other hobby knives hold the blades.

Bolt on prop adapter. You'll find it fits on the end opposite the part that bolts to the X mount. Sometimes they have the shaft installed sticking out that end and you have to reverse the shaft to install this one.

Bullet connectors to match the ones installed on the motor. These are to ensure you have the correct connectors available to solder onto your ESC. Most ESCs now come with bullet connectors of appropriate size for the motors you would use them to operate. (Castle comes with no connectors)
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

fhhuber. That was a great help. SO. I wish to mount the TURNIGY motor within the airframe (The mentioned engine mount) goes on the outside of the firewall and bolts thru the firewall to the engine ? I really don't understand why companies do not supply instructions with their models anymore. The closest hobby shop is over 50 miles away and it's a 40 mile drive to my flying club.

Comment

There are a lot of variations to mounting possible and without knowing the model involved (and looking up the instruction manual) the best I could do is guess how that motor would mount in your model. (assuming it can fit)
            FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Fhhuber. The model is a "mariposa" from Hobby King. If there was an "instruction manual" I would not have to ask stupid questions. With it came a DVD with all of 5 pics showing the push rods and connectors naming them "Servos". I'll just wing it and refuse to buy anything but Great Planes in the future. Thanks for the help! :)

Comment

Working...
              X