X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xviper View Post
    I believe you can. I think the GPS module can be "unplugged". Then you must know how to bind it again. Look at the instructions for binding on the BNF version. It should say something about it in your manual.
    True, and you can still use the Beginner modes and you won’t have to wait for the GPS to realign / initialize each flight.

Comment

This just happened to me last night. After about 8 flights on previous outings that went great, my son was flying the carbon cub S+ at the local soccer fields and completely lost all control. It almost appeared to hit the virtual fence and break through and keep going. Fortunately it was doing slow circles and maintaining level flight, but it was drifting out across a busy highway and beyond a tree line and fields. I had grabbed the radio and ran toward the plane and was doing anything I could think of to regain control (cycling the HP/AL button, flipping the switches, etc.) with no luck. Finally, in desperation I decided to turn my Dx6 radio off and back on again...Whew! the radio took back control and I was able to fly it back to the field and land. Not a great experience, and not something a new pilot would have been able to save. We did fly it again after that without mishap, but there is this lingering feeling of pending doom yet.

Comment

I sope to Horizen Hobby and they said there may be a mix up in the GPS system. I got another one from them. They were good about it. I won't fly with GPS something is wrong with it in my area. We have had three fly aways with the GPS fence. On mine where the plane never came back.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post

True, and you can still use the Beginner modes and you won’t have to wait for the GPS to realign / initialize each flight.
          Actually the GPS will realign even in Beginner. with it on even setting it up properly the plane will take off with absolutely no control from the controller. It did it twice to me the second time the plane never came back, I spoke to Horizon Hobby and something is an issue with the GPS. Its better to shut it off take it out or not use the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtaylor1 View Post

Actually the GPS will realign even in Beginner. with it on even setting it up properly the plane will take off with absolutely no control from the controller. It did it twice to me the second time the plane never came back, I spoke to Horizon Hobby and something is an issue with the GPS. Its better to shut it off take it out or not use the plane.
            The beginner modes have nothing to do with the GPS - they are programmed rates and limitations for combined inputs. If you remove it or disconnect the GPS it does not have to initialize.

Comment

I’m new here been flying mine about a week it has been going good and today Mine flew off never too be seen again

Comment

What a drag! I put I.D tags on my planes in case this happens. Hoping an honest passerby finds it and phones you. Welcome to the squawk.

Comment

I have been there running toward the plane a few times, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty Flyer View Post
                    I’m new here been flying mine about a week it has been going good and today Mine flew off never too be seen again
                    There is if the gps is active a 20 foot clearance issue. The plane if your flying along and fly low 20 feet or so the plane will take overyour transmitter will have no control and fly up to 200 feet turn come back in the virtual fence and wag its wings and give you control back. If there is a gust of wind going on, 10-15 mile an hour or so it may not be able to get back and will just fly off.

The best thing in wind conditions and not flying off is to shut virtual fence and the GPS off before flight or leaving the ground. The manual shows you how. The beginner, intermediate and expert switch is still active. They gave me a new one and I have been flying this one that way.

Comment

I had one of those do the same thing last summer. First flight, everything felt good and was working great until I got a little to high and that was the end of that one. It flew off over a huge hardwood stand, ( like 10 or 12 square miles ) I'm totally and permanently disabled and walking through the woods is akin to walking on a mine field waiting to blow me off my feet. ( not going there today ) S**t happens. The best thing you can do is learn something from it.

Comment

I'll be honest, I dont ubderstand howthis plane is still sold w all those issues. Am shocked it has not been discontinued and make a release once all those bugs are addresed.

Comment

The issue is in how they programmed the "electronic fence" It hits the fence and auto-turns away from the fence. if it somehow got on the wrong side of the fence (stall, spin, wind and... its outside) there is no provision for getting it back.

Instead it should have been X distance from origin = turn toward point of origin.

That isn't a problem with the aircraft. Its the RX with its advanced autopilot. Change RX and it a very nice airplane.
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                            I'll be honest, I dont ubderstand howthis plane is still sold w all those issues. Am shocked it has not been discontinued and make a release once all those bugs are addresed.
                            It is probably not the plane, but likely over-eager novices that do not get proper assistance and/or read / follow the instructions. Only once have I seen one behave incorrectly, and advised the owner to return it - whereupon it was promptly exchanged.
                            There are numerous cautions, warnings and notes which are of significant importance. I’ve set up at least a half dozen, taught the owners the proper procedures as they are outlined in the manual, and answered numerous questions from newbies that “were not in the manual”. Then when I show them it’s the old “...so that’s what they meant” or “...how’d I miss that”.
                            Readers’ Digest version - if you cannot fly this airplane without the GPS functions, you should not attempt to fly it with them active, without the guidance of an informed Instructor.
                            Safety Fist
                            Takeoffs are optional- landings mandatory.

Comment

They said fly off weren’t covered

Comment

Its a plane designed for the novice, and thats it is marketed. IMO programming should be bullet proof, and straight forward, three basic steps at max.

I have not had one, but have been flying glow and electric rollin into my 3rd yr. Have swapped engines on real cars, built rc cars those Tamiyas step by step and so on, you get the pic.

And although I do not have one of them, reading your explanation sounds a bit complicated and somewhat hard to visualize. What am sayin that if thats me, I cant imagine someone who has never had a plane before. Not saying that it is not, but the instructions should be A, B, C - 1,2,3 and up in the air to fly. Kind of when buying PCs or a tv, that it has the quick 5 min install, and then later the in depth job aid.

Or I dont know, some kind of in the ground gps check before it hits the sky, maybe it has it, the novice should know its in GPS fence BEFORE it hits the sky, not when performing tests in the air w a senior pilot.

Comment

Well I’m not exactly new been flying Rc planes and Drones for years. I have 3 P-51s a crusader 11 and a couple I have made all have flown !! I’m 50 years old so I have a little experience!! My plane was set up right and exactly like it should have.

Comment

Originally posted by MrVoyagerx View Post
                                    Its a plane designed for the novice, and thats it is marketed. IMO programming should be bullet proof, and straight forward, three basic steps at max.

I have not had one, but have been flying glow and electric rollin into my 3rd yr. Have swapped engines on real cars, built rc cars those Tamiyas step by step and so on, you get the pic.

And although I do not have one of them, reading your explanation sounds a bit complicated and somewhat hard to visualize. What am sayin that if thats me, I cant imagine someone who has never had a plane before. Not saying that it is not, but the instructions should be A, B, C - 1,2,3 and up in the air to fly. Kind of when buying PCs or a tv, that it has the quick 5 min install, and then later the in depth job aid.

Or I dont know, some kind of in the ground gps check before it hits the sky, maybe it has it, the novice should know its in GPS fence BEFORE it hits the sky, not when performing tests in the air w a senior pilot.
                                    While designed and destined for the beginner, there are numerous mentions of seeking qualified and knowledgeable assistance, that these are not toys and can cause injury or worse, and yes there are verifiable indications that the GPS has initialized and the kind of fence selected. And one more thing, it is your responsibility to know what that plane is going to do - in as much is possible and what to do if it does not. In other words, much like full size pilots you have to be sure the airplane is ready to fly and you are bound by regulation that you have determined the aircraft is airworthy. If there is any question- you don’t fly.
                                    People getting into this hobby need to understand that others have actually been killed by an out of control model. And now more than ever thanks to the reckless drone operators who have made certain the FAA has had to step in and regulate our hobby.
                                    For every full size aircraft there is a POH or AFM (operating handbook or flight manual) and it is the only set of official instructions on how to operate that airplane - it has to be IN the airplane all the time and accessible to the pilot in flight. The pilot is also responsible for knowing everything about that airplane before he boards the aircraft with the intention of flight.
                                    So you are correct - there should never be any surprises in flight, but just like full size airplanes - you have to be trained what to do when it happens, and it will happen.
                                    Yup, those actions are covered in the manual - but usually the words “do not fly the aircraft” are summarily dismissed due to hazardous attitudes.
                                    Sorry, rant over. I don’t like incidents or accidents with airplanes and I know that about 80% of the time it is the pilots fault.
                                    Ya gotta be safe out there Pilots, and the first step is situation awareness, proper preflight and your limitations. that all of you stay safe this Labor Day weekend

Comment

Well I have to give it to horizon hobby they replaced my plane !! And they were great while doing it !

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty Flyer View Post
                                        Well I have to give it to horizon hobby they replaced my plane !! And they were great while doing it !
                                        Now do yourself a favor and get some qualified help setting it up and make sure you know what it will do before you take off.
                                        If you are saying to yourself ‘hope this goes all right’ as you add power - you’all probably lose another plane.

- hope is the road to disappointment...

Comment

Guess you didn’t see my post up above I’m no expert but I do know what I’m doing ! It was a GPS malfunction and nothing me or you could have done

Comment

Working...
                                          X