Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana hobby should be a good hobby store 'cause they run it like a hobby, (not a business)
    In my humble opinion, If it fails as a biz, it can no longer provide the hobby-like atmosphere. Ya need to be able to do both, though the customer is 'king' the biz must survive. It's a balancing act that starts with great Customer Service and a profit center. Only in movies does 'if we build it, they will come' work. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

[QUOTE=Elbee;n159435]

In my humble opinion, If it fails as a biz, it can no longer provide the hobby-like atmosphere. Ya need to be able to do both, though the customer is 'king' the biz must survive. It's a balancing act that starts with great Customer Service and a profit center. Only in movies does 'if we build it, they will come' work. Best, LB[/s

In this business customer service is EVERYTHING, without it in today’s social media environment you will suffer or die.

Comment

[QUOTE=lmramos44;n159437]
        Originally posted by Elbee View Post

In my humble opinion, If it fails as a biz, it can no longer provide the hobby-like atmosphere. Ya need to be able to do both, though the customer is 'king' the biz must survive. It's a balancing act that starts with great Customer Service and a profit center. Only in movies does 'if we build it, they will come' work. Best, LB[/s

In this business customer service is EVERYTHING, without it in today’s social media environment you will suffer or die.
        I44, Acknowledged and Agreed. Owned a retail biz for 19 years and worked part-time in a hobby shop for 8 years as a young man. No social media then but the principles were the same. Best, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

What the heck is going on with Hobbyking? There main brands are Durafly and Avios? Good thing they have a great selection of batteries. The Avios quality is bad, Durafly has their 1100mm market but geesh they need to offer some quality planes. Not good HK.

Comment

Yeah i never thought highly on their planes, only seen them as a source for batteries

Comment

When I first got back into the hobby a few years ago I was very seriously considering spending some money at BH after I saw their B-2. My thought was that if they took the time to help design something like this they must mean business! Then I started reading............. I still love the idea behind some of the planes they help bring to market but I'm just not ready to risk it.

On subject though since I only own FW and FMS EDF's I would go with:

1. Freewing
              2. FMS

Comment

It is baffling to me why certain manufacturers continue to produce the same under engineered products. This is not 2005...if you look at what BH offers, and for now let’s forget about their new association with HSD,; LanXiang (LX and Blitxworx) and Tiansheng have not improved their products in years. This shows a great misunderstanding of the market and the American Consumer. It’s just a missed opportunity for these manufacturers that have these great molds like the B-2, SR 71 and the SU 47. The quality of Freewing and FMS should be a model for these companies. It’s hard to understand the Chinese view of the American Consumer. Kudos to the fine people at Motion who have seemed to convey to the formentioned an understanding of us, the hobbyist hungry and grateful to a company that puts us first. Now let’s get ready for the next big release tonight, project foil!! ADD TO CART!!

Comment

Originally posted by lmramos44 View Post
                  It is baffling to me why certain manufacturers continue to produce the same under engineered products. This is not 2005...if you look at what BH offers, and for now let’s forget about their new association with HSD,; LanXiang (LX and Blitxworx) and Tiansheng have not improved their products in years. This shows a great misunderstanding of the market and the American Consumer. It’s just a missed opportunity for these manufacturers that have these great molds like the B-2, SR 71 and the SU 47. The quality of Freewing and FMS should be a model for these companies. It’s hard to understand the Chinese view of the American Consumer. Kudos to the fine people at Motion who have seemed to convey to the formentioned an understanding of us, the hobbyist hungry and grateful to a company that puts us first. Now let’s get ready for the next big release tonight, project foil!! ADD TO CART!!

Post of the month right there...
                  TiredIron Aviation
                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

What the heck is going on with Hobbyking? There main brands are Durafly and Avios? Good thing they have a great selection of batteries. The Avios quality is bad, Durafly has their 1100mm market but geesh they need to offer some quality planes. Not good HK.
                    I don't really think Durafly makes planes that you personally would find interesting. They basically have, "Well" 1100mm planes. Knowing and reading your posts you seem to lean toward the larger models. I have been very pleased with the Durafly planes, and would pit one of my EFxtras against almost anything else out there in regards to performance, (this would include Props, EDF's, and Pure Jets). The plane is phenomenal., No they don't build models with the details, and finish quality of Freewing and Flightline. But I personally like the 1100mm planes. I have a large park about 2 or 3 min. from my house, I fly them there. Easy to put one in the back seat of my pickup and go. I actually love these planes.

Your're completely within your rights not to like them, they're not for every body, and I always respect other peoples opinions, weather I agree with it or not. You are in fact entitled to it.

The company I think is seriously over rated is E-Flight. I have lots of problems with these planes. I bought a new UMX Wild Cat. Set it up and attempted to fly it at the same park. Tossed it, and thought wow, made a left turn, tried to make a right. It stuck half way and proceeded to fly away. It hit a tree, and fell to the ground. I could go on and on about the problems I've had with there planes, I personally will never buy another. But some people have great luck with them, go figure.

I've never had an Avios, so I can't comment. My first will be the new C-130 coming out. I'll keep ya posted.

Best Regards
                    Woody

Comment

icepirate3, the LX B-2 wasn't that bad for its time, it just benefits from several modifications and upgrades to fly well and operate reliably, all of which by now have been documented online. If you're really keen on getting one, and aren't afraid of a few hours of work and a bit of extra expense, don't rule out the B-2. I can say we're not going to make one anytime soon, at least, so the LX B-2 is the only foam EDF option on the market. If you can get a B-2 ARF, that's the best way to go in my opinion. Use your own servos, toss the stock mechanical retracts and install your own electric retracts, increase the nose AoA, swap out the flimsy stock control hardware, carve out the battery bay, create a more reliable canopy/battery hatch cover and attachment, install a lightweight and efficient power system, and read up on drag rudders and/or simply wedging open the stock setup. A gyro isn't needed, but will help. And finally, if you're okay with trading better flight time and handling for ROG experience, toss the landing gear altogether and bungee launch/belly land.
                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hey Woody I’m not knocking Durafly, they do well in the 1100 market. It was more of a knock to HK for their limited brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          icepirate3, the LX B-2 wasn't that bad for its time, it just benefits from several modifications and upgrades to fly well and operate reliably, all of which by now have been documented online. If you're really keen on getting one, and aren't afraid of a few hours of work and a bit of extra expense, don't rule out the B-2. I can say we're not going to make one anytime soon, at least, so the LX B-2 is the only foam EDF option on the market. If you can get a B-2 ARF, that's the best way to go in my opinion. Use your own servos, toss the stock mechanical retracts and install your own electric retracts, increase the nose AoA, swap out the flimsy stock control hardware, carve out the battery bay, create a more reliable canopy/battery hatch cover and attachment, install a lightweight and efficient power system, and read up on drag rudders and/or simply wedging open the stock setup. A gyro isn't needed, but will help. And finally, if you're okay with trading better flight time and handling for ROG experience, toss the landing gear altogether and bungee launch/belly land.
                          Alpha that’s a great post, you really summed up what needs to be done on their B-2, SU-47, SR-71 and their A-10. In some ways funny and in other ways not so funny. Two words: under engineered.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. My B-2 could have used every single upgrade mentioned. Not a bad first pass to be honest but yes, it needs a lot of upgrades. I am crossing my fingers you can talk Freewing into a stealth line soon. :Cool:

My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

• lmramos44
                              lmramos44 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Actually the best video i have ever seen on the B-2. Great Job.

As far as EDFs go, I only have two brands as well and concur it is Freewing number 1 and FMS number 2. I personally have close to zero interest in any EDF from any company besides those two. The only exception I can think of right now is the HK SkySword. I keep toying with the idea of getting one since I do love sport jets! I know it is made by HSD so that makes me feel a bit better. I would go straight to the HSD one but I like the orange/black scheme from HK and they put them on a pretty good sale occasionally (right now.)

I got into EDFs about a year and a half ago and currently have 8 of them. 4 from FW and 4 from FMS. Hopefully Foil will be #9 tonight! :)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesonC View Post
                              As far as EDFs go, I only have two brands as well and concur it is Freewing number 1 and FMS number 2. I personally have close to zero interest in any EDF from any company besides those two. The only exception I can think of right now is the HK SkySword. I keep toying with the idea of getting one since I do love sport jets! I know it is made by HSD so that makes me feel a bit better. I would go straight to the HSD one but I like the orange/black scheme from HK and they put them on a pretty good sale occasionally (right now.)

I got into EDFs about a year and a half ago and currently have 8 of them. 4 from FW and 4 from FMS. Hopefully Foil will be #9 tonight! :)
                              You will love the SkySword , Great Power, Great retracts, Cool Lites and of course it looks like something out of FIREBALL XL5! Hope i am not aging myself......

Comment

Hey Woody I’m not knocking Durafly, they do well in the 1100 market. It was more of a knock to HK for their limited brands.
                                LOL, well HK is HK... Service is kinda 3rd rate, but every once a while they will surprise me, (Not Very Often). No offence taken mate for sure, I didn't mean any offence either mate. What HK is good for, is that one off stuff you may need from time to time. I like there Turnigy Servos, but not as much as I like the Freewing servos. I pretty much always look to Motion first, If they haven't got it, I turn to HK. But I do like the size of the 1100mm planes, and have found them to be better, (in my opinion) to E-flight planes. They're always more work than a Bind and fly E-flight. I always put Admiral Gyro receivers in them. I've always found this combo to be much better for me. I'm still trying to get my skills back, I'm about 70% there. Little to go yet.

I've never considered purchasing a Jet from HK, probably never will unless something changes. But as you eluded too, I do like the HSD Viper Jets, I'm a fan of those. I would almost say HSD may make for some interesting competition, but there new stuff seems a little to pricey for me.

Best Regards
                                Woody

Comment

Thanks for that! It's certainly a unique plane to bring to the field. There's a small write-up of a CARF twin turbine B2 in the recent Model Aviator that looks nice. It's not on a must have list by any means but if someone were to come with one that's better engineered in a few years I would look into it. I'm having enough fun with what's in the hanger now to keep me occupied for a while. That is until the RotorScale line come's out.

Comment

Working...
                                  X